Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it just me or are goblins tough m*******s to kill?  (Read 2413 times)

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or are goblins tough motherfuckers to kill?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

It's a normal DF behavior. That's why I've made the creatures to bleed 10-100x times more and increased the pain by 10 times. Now the combat is more brutal but more realistic (and still it takes at least two throat slashes to kill a normal guy).

Still takes at least two throat slashes?  I've never seen a goblin (or anything, really) survive a single strike that severed a major artery in the throat.  Sure, they won't bleed out immediately, but step back and wait a few steps and they'll die, sure enough.
Of course I don't go around cutting people open non-stop so I'm not an expert on the subject.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 11:25:58 pm »

A goblin thief one-shotted my guard war elephant; shortly after, three more were made short work of by invading crossbowgoblins. In melee. Looks like if they are not tough, they are still fast.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:45 pm »

I think combat overall needs to be more lethal. As in, death from shock and blood loss needs to be a lot more important. Death from shock especially. If someone loses two limbs and has a two-handed sword being twisted in their guts, they should be dead from pure shock in a round or two. While the gore is funny, it kind of undercuts the value of the gore when you literally turn people into hamburger meat and it still won't stop them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:18 pm »

Eh, it actually seems pretty realistic to me. Even if you cut off someone's legs (and thereafter impale them through the stomach), they wouldn't necessarily die immediately-it should take 30 secs-2 minutes or so for them to bleed out.

Even major organ trauma and/or arterial bleeding isn't an instakill IRL.

I can understand maybe them going unconscious faster, but even then. . .a turn is basically a couple seconds at most. Bloodloss (or even shock, for that matter) just doesn't happen that quickly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:53:12 pm by Sunday »

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:17 am »

I don't know what you guys are having problems with goblins for. I mangled a limb with a shortsword causing one to pass out, and shot another with a couple arrows, causing that one to pass out. One throat slice each later, with my trusty starting dagger, I'm two kills richer. This is all vanilla df adventure mode mind you. Maybe people are just badasses in arena mode?

Tis called "Arena Mode" For a reason. I like to think armok places both combatints within the arena and compleles them to fight.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or are goblins tough m*******s to kill?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 04:19:17 am »

With my experience from the adventure mode I can say that most enemies need a lot of injuries before they fall unconcious. It is possible to punch someone to unconciousness without causing serious injuries but it takes bruises to the whole body to accomplish that. Just bleeding doesn't seem to cause unconciousness, the same even goes for cut off limbs. On the other hand most enemies fall unconcious the instant you strangle them the first or second time, this seems a bit too fast. Also I lost quite some adventurers who fell unconcious from a single chipped or broken bone (often from some kind of kicking animal) and then got their head smashed in. Injured bones seem to cause a lot of pain which is neccessary for someone to fall unconcious.
Unconciousness is like a certain death sentence because any hit to your main parts is likely to be mortal expect when you are heavily armored and your enemies don't have the appropriate weapon. Overall i think combat is deadly enough.
Pages: 1 [2]