Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: DFA: A Dwarf Fortress choose your own Adventure! **2 New (Off-topic) Comics!!**  (Read 27200 times)

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: DFA: A Dwarf Fortress choose your own Adventure! Last Update: 56
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »

What TYPE of wooden armor should jujufrobo make? Just a helmet? Breastplate? clogs? Whats the consensus, folks.

This

and may i say glyphgryph your art has improved immensely since you started this, jujufrobo is especially well drawn for such a wierd kobold-dwarf thing
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: DFA: A Dwarf Fortress choose your own Adventure! Last Update: 57
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 09:24:10 pm »

Yes- your artistic muscles are doing better for the exercise. Also, the wooden armor link is a 404...

Moldath> Tell Jujufrobo that you have to build a cage trap for the GCS before he finishes the bridge
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 11:04:47 pm »

the wooden armor link is a 404...

:o

news to me, ill repost it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if thats a bit too hard to draw theres also THIS

or THIS

...splinted armor.

oh please no, that stuff hurts, and provides very little protection
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:09:56 pm by LordBaxter »
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2009, 11:46:53 pm »

wasn't splint mail the height of asian wooden armour tech?

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 12:18:01 am »

wasn't splint mail the height of asian wooden armour tech?

splint mail refers to armour made of horizontal strips of material, not splints of wood, and the problem with it being that it doesnt sit right, the splint make it impossibel to lean in any direction without hurting yourself, or not being able to at all, plus, the fact that the bands are horizontal lessens their protection, most weapons attack in a horizontal arc to maximise hitting strength. Banded armour is far superior, as it allows ease of movement and strength whilst reducing weight

its prety hard to make out of wood with simple tools tho

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 12:27:54 am »

splint mail refers to armour made of horizontal strips of material, not splints of wood, and the problem with it being that it doesnt sit right, the splint make it impossibel to lean in any direction without hurting yourself, or not being able to at all, plus, the fact that the bands are horizontal lessens their protection, most weapons attack in a horizontal arc to maximise hitting strength.

Dwarfy!

Even more dwarfy would be to make something like below. Moldath would, of course, completely ignore the fact that he doesn't have the skill and that Jujufrobo says he's crazy. The final result would be a disaster.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 01:01:33 am »

Even more dwarfy would be to make something like below. Moldath would, of course, completely ignore the fact that he doesn't have the skill and that Jujufrobo says he's crazy. The final result would be a disaster.

Skill (and material) doesn't matter if it's made through a strange mood.

*Moldath has entered an Alien mood!*
*Moldath has begun a mysterious construction*
*Moldath has created Rushrultosid, a Vanu MAX!*

Moldath: I knew that cheese would be useful for something
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFA: A Dwarf Fortress choose your own Adventure! Last Update: 56
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 01:02:27 am »

What TYPE of wooden armor should jujufrobo make? Just a helmet? Breastplate? clogs? Whats the consensus, folks.

a toga. yes, a wooden toga. and clogs, just because you mentioned them.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 03:30:46 am »

jokes aside, juju is a serious dwarf, hed make as much armour as he can, out of rectangular planks about an inch thick, including a helmet, and cuirass

no protection on the arms or legs because it would take too long

as for the design for the cuirass: i think this would be most efficient (though not effective)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 02:09:54 pm »

I vote for splinted mail, in the form of horizontal planks with holes in the side, trhough which their are tied together with rope, reed, werewolf sinew or whatever. Obviously this will only cover his from and rear torso, and he does not have the time or skill to make curved pieces of wood.
I dont realy see how he can possibly make a helm out of wood, but a shield would be a pretty good idea.

Realy though, wood is has a very limited usefulleness for armour. The best thing you can do with it is making it into shields, though even those arnt very effictive without metal or leather used. Its not like you can possibly make a set of gothic plate mail out of it.

Also, the armour should manace with spikes of cheese! I bet spiders realy hate biting dwarf cheese.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »

I vote he make a Thor Mech out of screaming wood and stone gears!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »

Something like this would be more logical- large, flat plates that stick out rather than conform to the body. There's plenty of gaps to get through, but you can choose an angle to cover everything up if you use it right.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 03:30:55 pm »

a wooden gauntlet that menaces with spikes of werewolf bone on the outside of the object. on the inside is some sticky berry juice to keep the gauntlet attached
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2009, 03:31:07 pm »

GUYS! It's just armor! Don't need to get so technical! Just say, Wood breastplate and be done!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2009, 03:32:48 pm »

but technical is kinda fun :P otherwse it could be any sort of wooden armor. a sock for example
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22