Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Pirating, your opinion.  (Read 12048 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pirating, your opinion.
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:47 pm »

If you need the internet to acess the game then thats worse then needing the disk, the disk you can carry around.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2009, 03:06:30 am »

To offset this serious post, some comic relief:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg&NR=1&feature=fvwp
um... we kind of had that video in this thread already. same exact link too. ;D
Damn, sorry. The topic was kinda longish...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2009, 04:07:22 am »

If you need the internet to acess the game then thats worse then needing the disk, the disk you can carry around.

The worst part of needing the disk is that you really don't. Back when CDs first appeared games would actually only copy the program itself onto your hard disk and would still need access to the CD for textures, music, FMV cutscenes, and so on. Nowadays they just copy everything and force you to juggle CDs for no good reason. It's just one of the many ways copy protection schemes hurt legitimate consumers rather than pirates, and it's the reason I routinely crack my legit games.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2009, 01:04:48 pm »

Since we're linking videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Anyway... what need to stop piracy is to stop filesharing. Or at least that's what seemed logical when you were switching discs. Of course, the intrusive software is EA's attempt to do that. And the internet will never be policed enough to prevent protected files from being shared.

Of course, no-one would be in this pickle if people DIDN'T COPY THAT FLOPPY. But that seems to be too much to ask for.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »

Wow! That video is great.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2009, 07:04:29 pm »

That video is horrible.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »

Reminds me of those driving classes videos. Hate it.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2009, 09:24:06 am »

i always wanted to do a program, only with a 1 in it, and an other with a 0 in it, so i was the first to think about it, it is my legitim property, so anyway all soft' developers have stealen my idee and use 0's and 1's in a line to make their programs ... until now no one payed for me for such a steal :(
In a more general metter, anyway i found always amusing people debating about a thing called 'property' we don't own anything, the gens/knowledge wich constructe us are gifted from our ancesters, withouth them we would be like all other animals, and the phisical world around as is just there to be given to new generations, we don't own it as no one ever will.
The only theft i seen is people saying about something that it belong to them ... So in the world just take what you need and give what you can, and belive me it would work ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:11 am »

Piracy isn't really as bad as companies claim. Most companies charge ridiculous prices compared to what people are willing to pay. Those same people who will never pay such prices will pirate it instead. It's not hurting sales that badly. I still buy albums which I've downloaded.. heck, if a lot of the songs on the album are good, I think paying for a higher quality cassette is well worth it. But back before the price cap on cassettes, I would never have bought any albums.

It's a very blurred line. I don't think anyone really knows what the impact is. DRM is horrible; it actually punishes valid buyers more than pirates, because the pirates tend to get past that crap. Piracy in itself is bad too, without buyers, there are no games. But then again, there are plenty of games out there, even though almost all of them are available on the internet.

I think Uplink, a game about hacking, took the most cost-effective modern approach to it, by that classic code check thing. They kept anti-piracy to be minimum and a one-time thing. Doesn't take much effort to hack it, you could just photocopy it. But it's as it is.. it actually takes equal effort to pirate it as any other game, but doesn't hurt anyone too badly, not the legit consumers, nor the producers.

The best anti-piracy measure I know is Unreal World.. it's too tedious to really hack and test if the hack is successful. And it's cheap enough that people would realize that buying it is much easier than looking for a serial key.

Heh, and most of the people who argue on the side of piracy just want to justify getting something for nothing. If only the average person were so passionate about other things :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2009, 12:05:36 pm »

The best anti-piracy measure I know is Unreal World <...> it's cheap enough.
that is incredibly true. Games are overpriced. In Latvia a typical legit-game-with-case-and-manual costs about 75$. You might say that that's what it costs to make a game, but that is really a problem of mismanagement. It costs about as much to make a Hollywood blockbuster, but DVDs are 9.99$ a piece, right?. Also Independent developers sell games (which are comparable to some of what the big names sell) for some 10-20$ (and you can look up the statistics those 15$ games are pirated way less).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2009, 01:27:52 pm »

(and you can look up the statistics those 15$ games are pirated way less).
*Flies into thread*
NO LITTLE BOY! BROUHAHAAHAHAHAHAH. HAVE YOU ALREADY FORGOTTEN WORLD OF GOO!?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2009, 02:02:34 pm »

that's exactly what I'm talking about: World of Goo is sold for 7 times more money then UnReal World does. and so it has 90% piracy rate.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »

Heh, and most of the people who argue on the side of piracy just want to justify getting something for nothing. If only the average person were so passionate about other things :P

There is a concept I learned as a kid.  "Free is good. Why pay when you don't have to?"
Albeit, my parents were very cheap and didn't have a lot of money, so it just passed down naturally.

Since then I've also learned that free and cheap tends to be... unreliable... when it comes to a lot of stuff... but there are those gems you find every now and then...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2009, 02:45:03 pm »

that's exactly what I'm talking about: World of Goo is sold for 7 times more money then UnReal World does. and so it has 90% piracy rate.

Yeah, WOG is way overpriced. If it had four or five times the content, then the price would be about adequate. This is especially jarring due to the fact that the content is the only thing you really pay for, since the concept itself had been prototyped some years earlier in the freely downloadable Tower of Goo. It's almost like an expansion pack to a freeware game - just adds raw content without introducing many new gameplay elements and mechanics. $5, hell yes. $10... okay, it is one of the most fun games I've played in the last few years, so what the heck. $20, no fucking way.
Same thing with Gish, an indie platformer starring a sticky ball of tar. Incredibly fun, but also incredibly short.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]