Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 57049 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 02:03:45 pm »

How do you plan on implementing elven houses, and will they burn?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 02:11:22 pm »

Ultimately, how varied do you intend different worlds to be? As it is, they have different landscapes and histories. Will there ever be different ethics? A different mix of races? Would some worlds have an 'ultimate metal' different from Adamantine? That sort of thing.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 02:20:10 pm »

What would happen to DF if Toady suddenly died? Would ThreeToe be able to continue developing it? Would it go open-source? Would it just stagnate with all bugs now "features"?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 02:48:03 pm »

What would happen to DF if Toady suddenly died? Would ThreeToe be able to continue developing it? Would it go open-source? Would it just stagnate with all bugs now "features"?

This one was actually asked in an earlier interview, IIRC. I think the answer was that Toady and ThreeToe has actually talked about it, and ThreeToe would go ahead and release it, unless foul play was suspected, in which case he wouldn't. So, as they said in the interview, "no killing Toady for the source". :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 03:00:11 pm »

Will mega beasts become playable? If so, how will they handle?
"Who's John Galt?"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 03:24:09 pm »

Hmm, someone should probably make a shorter version of my suggestion using better English. (but make sure to credit me! I want my name pronounced by Toady again! ;D )
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 03:33:35 pm »

Requests for more mechanisms are often made, and they're fairly high on the Eternal Suggestions Voting List. How/Do you plan to expand these? For example, would we be able to create moving walls or rotating floors at some point, or is that too technological?

Is it likely that we'll see improved hauling/job priorities in this release?

And just for an off-topic-ish question...

There's a topic on the forums about "music that reminds you of Dwarf Fortress". Do you have an specific music that inspires you or that you listen to while coding?

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 03:39:11 pm »

im sorry if some of these have been already answered before somewhere else, just ignore in that case

1)why dwarves?, why wen you could choose humans, elves, orcs or goblins to use as the usable race you picked dwarves?(i have always been curious about this one)

2)whats your favorite dwarf joke?

3)how will the medicine system work? i mean a better idea of the mechanics, what tools can they use, whats the effect of the diferent skill of the doctor (like what kind of mystakes or consequences you get from using a new doctor), how does the whole soap use work?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 03:55:25 pm »

What are your ultimate goals for Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts? Will they use equipment, create objects, form roving groups? Interact with one another? I know Titans and Cyclopses were often the makers of great things in Greek mythology, would it be possible to come across a Cyclops cave with a giant forge and giant-size equipment he has created for other (semi)megabeasts?

There's a lot there, but I think it's a fascinating question.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 03:59:04 pm »

*Sigh* None of my questions made it into the first podcast. Ohh well, I guess they weren't any good.

I guess with god involved questions getting in I got one.

So from the first time I heard Toady mention that gods will be wandering around their world, however extrapolated it is, I have been interested to know how far gods will go. Will gods have roles, jobs, and goals on their own planes? How will people outside the heavens even know what goes on there? Lastly (sorta) How will you represent the time scale gods often work at?

Feel free to use peices. Now for a second question...

Some of the Spheres seem VERY specific to locations such as Mountains or Rivers. What exactly happens when a mountain sphere ends up over the ocean? Will the fish become goat-fish or will it become a mountain with some oddly fishy goats?

Should I be asking these somewhere else? What determiens what is appropriate for the Podcast and what is appropriate for future of the Fortress? There is obviously a hidden qualifier/quantifier judging by what did and didn't make the last podcast (and it wasn't time)

Editing in more questions

How or Are you going to include further cultural diversity within a race/civilisation?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:29:23 pm by Neonivek »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 05:53:55 pm »

Are there any plans to introduce support for more exotic creature types? For example, will somebody be able to code a symbiotic parasite that takes control of a creature?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:08 pm »

What do you expect the version number of the next release to be?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:08:30 pm »

How often do you play Dwarf Fortress just for fun, if at all?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 08:33:57 pm »

Even toady must get hate mail, can we have one read aloud to see what sort of things they complain about?

I support this. And Armok's first question, though he was a bit wordy with it. >,>

Toady should make a disclaimer for all hate mail.  Similar to 'The Best Page in the Universe'

It would go something like this:
By sending me hate mail, (I get to determine what is hate mail and what is not) you acknowledge that I own all rights to the entire contents of your message and any images or attachments sent with the message.  This disclaimer is subject to change without notice, and you are still subject to the rules regardless of any changes made. If you do not agree with these rules, then don't send me hate mail.

A more friendly version of it.

Now my question:

Do you expect to ever be completely finished with Dwarf Fortress?  And be satisfied with it?  What will you say to yourself when that time comes?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 09:14:41 pm »

Toady, What parts of DF are enjoyable to code?

Will the month end project start being worked on again after this release?

Edit, Another question

Do you ever plan on implementing a NetHack esque "dungeon of doom" as HFS for Adventurers?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:31:38 pm by ArkDelgato »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12