Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 57067 times)

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »

Hmm. I'll try some quick questions regarding archery in the upcoming combat upgrades.

Will firing bows from higher elevation (towers for example) add to the momentum of the arrow and to its force (penetration rolls or whatever) upon striking? Will elevation add to the range of an arrow's flight?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:48 pm »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2009, 02:47:47 pm »

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:32 pm »

Please settle down and keep it to questions, thank you.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2009, 06:47:45 pm »

You meantioned trees and cretures at some point in the future working under and unified system, so when trees get tissues, how realistic will they be? Will it be names like "bark" "wood" and "hollow", or will you do it more correctly with xylem and phloem? Will it use the same vascular tag as creatures, or perhaps even circulatory? Will the root system be of realistic size? Will different kinds of scar tissue and fungus attacks that cause large parts of trees personalities be modelled? Will trees be able to grow in odd ways, such as merging whit a tree growing to close, or growing into an enveloping an object, or falling in a storm but continue growing in a new direction, or have the main trunk die but a branch continues to grow and becomes the new trunk? How will hollow trees be modelled? have I provided enough question for an entire tree-themed podcast yet? How different will different kinds of trees be? Will elves try to protect trees from stuff like draught or fungi or insects, or only from sapients? Will hollow trees contain decomposed wood and other common things? Will tree roots affect erosion rate? Do you often take walks in any woods, and do you tend to look at especially interesting trees and wonder how you can model that in DF? Will there be any candy for tree nerds? How much will you do with different kinds of smaller plants and undergrowth? will you ever model grass species and such? What about different kinds of flowers in meadows and gardens and such? Will you model vegetation height and/or how it's affected by being cut for hay, grazed by animals, etc? Will at some point a farm use a unified system with the grass that grows on normal ground, so that it being abandoned and such have proper effects?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2009, 08:20:08 pm »

I'm not sure if this hasn't been asked before, but:

Have you considered the possibility that in dwarven names, the surname comes before the given name?  That is, might "Urist" be analogous to "Smith" instead of to "John?"
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2009, 11:44:43 pm »

Quote from: Armok
have I provided enough question for an entire tree-themed podcast yet?

Yes, I believe you have. And then some. But there are some questions in there I'd like answered too.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2009, 11:55:19 pm »

My goodnes Armok has blinded me!

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:50 am »

wow, armok has posted the first wall of text that has hindered my reading.  i still read it, but neon green?   i would have preferred non neon green, or maybe it not being a bigger font size.  like most walls of text, i am glad i read it.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2009, 11:56:30 am »

Totally unrelated to the current developpement but it just bugs me :

Toady, what is the real use of the skills "flatterer", "comedian", "liar", "conversationalist" or "persuader" ?

Also,

Does the "Judge of Intent" skill do anything better with a skill above "novice" ?

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2009, 11:57:30 am »

Totally unrelated to the current developpement but it just bugs me :

Toady, what is the real use of the skills "flatterer", "comedian", "liar", "conversationalist" or "persuader" ?

Also,

Does the "Judge of Intent" skill do anything better with a skill above "novice" ?
speaking of which

does the tracker skill have any use in the game?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2009, 12:24:33 pm »

does the tracker skill have any use in the game?

It's only used by worldgen scouts, I believe.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2009, 04:05:08 pm »

Will goblins ever appear cloked at the edge of the map and start digging toward the fortress? If so when?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2009, 05:39:02 pm »

Okay, we are starting the next recording in a bit, so I'll lock this and create a new question thread after the recording is done.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]