Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 57050 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

You've touched on randomized creatures/plants/entities in your dev list and i'm wondering if you have any new ideas on how that might be implimented?

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 10:35:01 am »

Moody dwarves create artifacts.  It's random, sudden, potentially disastrous, and generally hilarious.  While people DO create artifacts this way (George Handel composed his Messiah in 24 days) other times things we consider absolute pinnacles of art are slow deliberate procedures that take a very long time.  Michelangelo for instance completed the sistine chapel ceiling over 4 years, and did so at the pope's request.

Have you considered expanding the way artifacts are generated from a purely randomized procedure to including more player or environment-driven triggers?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 10:42:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GAH! Spoiler that for ****s sake!
Besides, he wont talk about it for the same reason he said this time I think.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 11:28:55 am »

Lots of questions already! Gonna be hard making the filter this time around.

When you refer to artifacts being produced during World Gen, do you refer only to Dwarves? (As the raws only give trances to the Dwarves)

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:38 am »

Do you have any plans to make df more accessible/friendly to new players?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 01:17:37 pm »

What? There's no details in the question, there's no details anywhere that I can find and it may not be implimented for a year or two. I must have missed it, for what reason would he not talk about it?

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:26 pm »

What do you think about 3d ultilities for dwarf fortress (such as 3Dwarf, lifevis, or Khazard) and would you ever consider using such a system in the main dwarf fortress program?

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 05:44:53 pm »

In the previous interview you mentioned (at about 55mins in) letting the player play as a deity.  I realize this is likely a (very) long term goal, but how do you picture game-play as a deity?

How soon do you expect the basic Fortress Mode actions (mining, chopping trees and building) to be avaliable in Adventure Mode?  What about the workshop based options (cooking, farming, crafting, masonry, etc.)?

One of the new features that really piqued my interest is the classes given by more skilled dwarves, do you have  any plans for translating this into Adventure Mode, either with the player as a teacher or as a student?

What are some of the new underground features you have planned for the next version?  I remember some pictures of awesome looking underground caves (caverns?), will those be in? 

The last one, (underground features) is the question I'd most like to see answered, although any and all of them would be ideal :P
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »

Currently, the only way to play a new fort is to destroy or abandon your old fort.

Will there ever be an option so that I can tell my fort/adventurer to "keep doing what you're doing" and then either let the world run, worldgen style, or play a different fort/adventurer?

It'd be really cool to read legends and find out that after I left him, Fistbeard Beardfist went on to become King Of The Ratmen.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 06:25:21 pm by shadow_archmagi »
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 06:21:55 pm »

What? There's no details in the question, there's no details anywhere that I can find and it may not be implimented for a year or two. I must have missed it, for what reason would he not talk about it?

As BloodBeard said, there's no need to spoiler it. More randomization has been a long term goal for a while. It's not a secret, unless you consider the Consolidated Development Page (or the individual pages that are a part of that) a secret. There is a 'Randomization and Raws Arc', after all.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »

Yes, but what he's concerned about is that

If Toady himself obscured it such that one would only come across it if they specifically wanted spoilers, I think it'd be courteous to extend it to others.   Rather than blabbing the special treat all over the forums.

Edit:  To be clear here, Bloodbeard didn't spoil anything, but Armok over-reacting sort of did.   View this how you will.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:01:06 pm by Capntastic »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 07:31:38 pm »

Yes, but what he's concerned about is that

I wasn't aware of that actually. I am now but I don't mind spoilers  :D. I'm sure there are other randomized things he could discuss.

Edit: Armok was concerned about me spoiling things and I end up being the one spoiled  :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:34:50 pm by BloodBeard »

raptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 10:11:25 pm »

How has your degree in mathematics influenced the design of Dwarf Fortress?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:44:57 pm by raptor »
Suffer Not The Heretic To Live.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 05:44:26 am »

What will happen to the past year of bug reports? Do you still read those at all? Are you just going to go tabula rasa for your next release, as a lot of the game will have changed by then and a number of problems won't apply anymore?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 07:46:46 am »

As for the spoiler-related stuff in this thread, my official comment is: Oups!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12