Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How Stones/Gems/Ore/Metals look like  (Read 31136 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: How Stones/Gems/Ore/Metals look like
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »

This is why I was so crap at chemistry. Physics, sure. Biology, excellent. Chemistry?

<INSERT PICTURE OF ME SMASHING MY FACE INTO A WALL>
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:07 pm »

The main problems most kids seem to have with chemistry is just grasping the concepts.  They're pretty damn abstract since you don't really care much about what stuff is made of to the extent of it's chemistry and all.  Some things that kids have trouble with are just idiotically simple, like percent by mass composition of chemicals and balancing equations.  Enough derailment though, back to rocks.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 04:47:57 pm »

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 04:51:12 pm »

Well ain't that all fancy.  Not everyone can be a super chemistry whiz.  During MY high school chem. class, I was the only person in school good with computers, so I was constantly going through the school, tearing the good parts from the old computers, and installing the new computers and networks.

Got an A on Chemistry because I gave the teacher 7 of the computers for his class.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »

Pff. Chemistry just makes no sense to me. I can work out equations pretty well (the things that hold me back in maths are trigonometry and all the other useless shite) and physics (all about the abstract) is easy. Chemistry I just cannot get.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 05:14:23 pm »

the things that hold me back in maths are trigonometry and all the other useless shite
Trigonometry is actually very useful, but you have to go to somewhat high levels of maths education for it do anything more than calculate the sizes of triangles.

I quite like chemistry, myself, although my dislike of playing with fire means I was never much good at the practical aspect.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 06:05:26 pm »

WHAT THE HELL? That's the only bit I understand! I like explosives, and it only takes a tiny bit of knowledge of chemistry to make a lot of explosives. Even knowing the basics of acid and alkaline reactions gives you so much to work with. Explosions and fire are great, but the chemistry underlying them is lame :D

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:39 pm »

Pff. Chemistry just makes no sense to me. I can work out equations pretty well (the things that hold me back in maths are trigonometry and all the other useless shite) and physics (all about the abstract) is easy. Chemistry I just cannot get.

I think if you consider something as fundamental as trig to be "useless shit" then that might explain some of the troubles you're having.

Trigonometry (and trigonometric functions especially) are useful in, well, just about anything you want to study. Geography, measurement of anything really, and anything that's periodic in any way at all, whether it's sound or light or anything else that can be expressed as a wave.

I can understand not using trigonometry in detail in everyday life if it's not directly related to your job/hobbies/studies, but a fundamental understanding of it is necessary in order for you to understand an incredibly broad number of concepts about the world around you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 08:53:11 pm »

The higher, high school chemistry classes don't tend to use the burners nearly as much as the Chem I kids do, mainly because we do lots of stuff with equilibrium, thermodynamics, and electrochemistry.  I can only think of one time we used a Bunsen burner really, and that was to heat a sample.  Most of the time nothing needed warmer than a hot plate could take it. 

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 09:09:37 pm »

I love chemistry. All the weird stuff is fun, but blowing shit up is definitely the best part.
I also like math. The only part about math I can't stand is showing my work.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »

The higher, high school chemistry classes don't tend to use the burners nearly as much as the Chem I kids do, mainly because we do lots of stuff with equilibrium, thermodynamics, and electrochemistry.  I can only think of one time we used a Bunsen burner really, and that was to heat a sample.  Most of the time nothing needed warmer than a hot plate could take it. 
My honors chemistry teacher (later AP chemistry teacher) let us bend glass with the Bunsens within the first few days of the course.  It was fun.  Later in AP chem, whenever I had to design a lab, I'd try to work in Bunsen burners.  This year I'm taking Sculpture and Glass as an art course.  More fire, I hope.

Oh yeah, I like fire :P.  Part of why I liked chemistry  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38:50 pm »

I used to make smoke rings with the spark lighters in chemistry.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

I set things on fire with a hot plate.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:08 pm »

I set things on fire with a hot plate.
I broke a beaker with a hot plate once.  We were supposed to let it boil in the fume hood, but left it too long . . .

Man, did we jump like a dwarf spotting a carp.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 11:23:50 pm »

The only part about math I can't stand is showing my work.
I'm with you 100% on this.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5