Finally... > Creative Projects

Lock, Stock and Colonies.

(1/2) > >>

Jakkarra:
Hello One and all!

Ive decided to produce a game for the enjoyment of all!

me and a Business partner of mine (a friend basically) are producing, coding modelling, voicing and modellin this all ourselves, for the moment anyway...

this topic is meant for a discussion of elements people want and if anyone will actually play it.

What i have so far is this, The planet earth has been destroyed, Meteors i guess, and the world's population has been herded onto ships (Arks, if you will) and are sent down to some planets for re-colonisation, uuuuuunfortunately several ships (each from a different faction, more about those soon) went off course, very, very far off course to a certain planet, and then run out of fuel,  and have just enough power to orbit a planet, which im unsure of what it will be at the moment.

maps will either be procedurally generated or created by hand by myself and my friend and will hopefully feature destructible environs, as some form of digging mechanic is one thing that i wish to be in the game. it will most likely be difficult to do, and as square blocks, so as to make it possible to work within the Technological constraints. think Minecraft, but less blocky and not Java (probably).

I was hoping for an MMO atmosphere, as that would work best, but i have no idea how to do this, and it would be very, very hard to do, so im settling for multiplayer for now.

the mission is basically to go nuts, do what you want, but, as there is no air, you will be required to use some form of Outside air source, but hopefully you can build an air producing machine to go in bases.

Combat will also factor in somehow.

for the moment this is all i have, feel free to criticize, suggest and generally discuss this.

i need to know if anyone will play it, and what sort of stuff they want in it.

Kthnx

Jakkarra:
anyone? anyone at all?

even toonyman?

Derakon:
You only gave four hours for responses, mate. Take it easy.

Making a videogame is hard work, and you have zero experience. So you need to start small. "MMO" is way too big. "Multiplayer" is also too big. Start with something very simple from your larger game idea. For example, just try to draw a map from a file and put the player down on it. Even that will take a lot of work and will be a big learning experience. Build up one small step at a time, so that at any given point you can have something that you'd be proud to show to other people.

I spent three years working on a generic 2D sprite game engine that I was going to use for a super-fantasmagoric platforming game idea that was going to have everything under the sun and two ponies. After those three years, I didn't have anything worth showing to anyone else. My second project, which I started two years later, took two months to throw together and was a complete game in itself, though it was of course quite simple.

Jakkarra:
i know its ecessively hard, and your assumption that ive had NO experience is wrong, i have had some experience, mstly in the Flash and 3D modelling departments however, so your point still holds.

anyway, its not something im planning on finishing in the next week. i understand the complexity of my task and the time that will have to be used for this undertaking, its a pet project.

yay for optimism!

qwertyuiopas:
Well, if you only loaded nearby sectors, and also split out z-sectors into thin slices, only loaded if the local section has breached the surface down to that layer, and procedurally generate the underground resources, if any, and do NOT put underground empty spaces...

Quite possible!

(With effort)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version