Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The infinity loop  (Read 1091 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The infinity loop
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:40 pm »

ok so my blacksmith decides o become possessed and what does he grab admantite. of course he goes for the rarest metal for something that can't be weapon or armor due to him only having metal working.  What he made was a animal trap.... a freaking animal trap but heres the kicker it has an image of itself on it. Which means the image of it has an image of it that has an image of it and so on for infinity.  I hate when DF gets into an infinite loop.....
Nom nom nom

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The infinity loop
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:44:03 pm »

It'd be a nested loop, really.

But easier to implement recursively.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:04:36 pm »

Which means the image of it has an image of it that has an image of it and so on for infinity.  I hate when DF gets into an infinite loop.....

Nah, if it's an abstracted or stylized image of itself, or just depict another side than the one with the image of itself, you could avoid that.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »

could even just be labled with it's own name.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:48:35 pm »

I like to think it's intricately carved with recursive images of itself, right down to the microscopic level.
All done with a fingernail and good old-fashioned dwarven spit, which is strong enough to etch adamantine due to the booze.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:29:03 pm »

Of course. It's always the booze, isn't it? ::)
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:20:55 pm »

Artifacts bearing images of themselves seems to be rather common. My own fortress has an artifact Raw Adamantine toy hammer with an image of itself, and several subsequent artifacts also bear images of said toy hammer - apparently, it was that epic.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:04:44 pm »

Of course. It's always the booze, isn't it? ::)

Well, if they drink that much of it, and the crap they eat, they've gotta have some pretty powerful enzymes to digest something that grows on muddy rock.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03:44 pm »

Now it makes sense that they don't even need a chisel to do intricate engravings on granite.

One of the great mysteries... solved!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:07:22 pm »

I belive so many objects have pictures of themsevles on them because the carvings depict dwarven, or maybe even your entire world's, history. Scince artficats are apart of teh dwarven history, they are chiseled in. Case closed.
Hello Hunam