Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 22288 times)

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

I found one that might be good for starting out - volcano, brook, and forests all within a 3 by 3 zone.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Frobozz ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

I think the seed will be the same on the correct operating system. There will be variation between operating systems but each operating system will generate its own map for each seed. I recently generated pauls seed and it came out perfect. I even generated it a second time and it came out perfect again. Both times the map was identical. Found the addy in the exact same place. Those humans, elves and dwarves are still alive if you break through fast enough. And on the units page they all count as "From the Deep". But don't worry they're all insane so they're not a real threat. The demons are though.

Lactose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

I think you are right. I use windows 2000 and my maps never come out the same as the people's with the good seeds.

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »

Ok.  I just found what I consider to be the Ultimate Map.  Or very close to it.  No demon pits or adamantium that I've seen so far, but it has:
  • River with river source
  • No aquifer
  • Mostly flat forest area with gatherable plants
  • Cliffs and mountainous areas
  • Exposed volcano caldera
  • Plenty of minerals near the surface, including iron, gold, and copper
  • Chalk and marble for steelmaking
  • Chasm on the surface and extending into the cliffs
  • Natural caverns
  • ... and most importantly, full trade with all 4 civs!

All within the default 6x6 map size.  Given that the seed is 0, I'm almost inclined to believe that it is an easter-egg or testing location put in by Toady.  But in all actuality, it's probably just luck.

I'm not sure if this is guaranteed from the seed, but it also came with a Bronze Colossus and a huge Giant Cave Spider web right from the beginning.  Also Olmmen, frogmen, snakemen, batmen, ratmen, giant moles, giant cave swallows, giant rats, iron men, and a handful of other creatures.  A challenging map to be sure!

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: hactar1 ]

curufaukor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

I put this on the wiki before, but this is my first world and it has a great location.

Seed 593046736: Grand Canyon + Giant Caldera + all of Paul's & More!

This was the very first world I generated, with my first fort being at the isolated mountain cluster on the west side, right by the goblin fortress there. However, when I started searching for a site with HIDDEN_FUN_STUFF, I stumbled on a location that has everything Paul's seed gives plus a whole lot more. In the far southwest of the world is a volcano near the dwarven civilization. This volcano is on the northeast side of the southwest mountains, and the tile with the good stuff is one region square northeast of there (non-descript on the surface). CAVEAT: to fit all the good stuff, you need a local area 9 squares wide and 10 squares tall, starting from the northeast corner. The outdoor river is the feature you lose by trimming the bottom (but you don't lose the second cave river), and if you trim from the right, you lose the giant caldera (but not the magma tube). You could probably get as small as 6x6 and still get everything but the caldera and outdoor river.

• quick to generate -- only 4 rejects

• a massive mountain peak, with 79 levels of vertical between the top and bottom levels!!!!

• a giant volcano caldera to the northeast, plunging for dozens of levels

• a crazy spidery chasm with literally dozens of side caves and all sorts of critters

• a secret underground river with two waterfalls one that goes into a private chasm

• a giant grand canyon to the south with a surface river that has a huge multi-level waterfall

• an underground magma chamber that goes to the bottom

• eerie glowing pits, complete with bizarre multi-level dungeon and torture room

• a small selection of trees and shrubs

• adamantine, iron, gold, platinum, copper, galore!

• batmen, troglodytes, giant cave swallows, cave spiders, iron men, fire imps, kobolds, magma men, and more!

• trade with all civs (human, dwarf, elf)

• freezing cold 11 of 12 months of the year -- water only melts in early summer and freezes again by midsummer!!!

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

People need to note whether they're including a randomly-generated name with the seed and which operating system was used to generate the seed. Both can change the resulting world. curufaukor's, for example, is only the way he describes it for windows XP with a non-randomly generated name.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Yeah, the only thing my map is missing is sand. I kind of miss it, but I don't really HAVE to have it.

As for the seed generating diff worlds, thats strange. Im using windows XP, so maybe it is based on OS. We may have to make a wiki page with the seeds listed by OS  :D

curufaukor, your map sounds like it could be fun to play, but the large size would probably hurt the fps. The big reason I like mine is it is all so compact. If I wanted I could expand it to include a much larger chasm (full of creatures), extra trees, etc. With a decent sized fort I still regularly get 90+ fps, when I tried a larger map I was rarely breaking 50.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

Somebody give me a seed and a tile description, I'll try to generate it in different compat modes and see if any match.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

I have generated Paul's 4265985437 map, and looked for the exact location following his location PNG. What i found was quite surprising, to say the least. I expected to get the exact same map, or a totally different one if i made a mistake. What i found was a map that looked the same, but when i navigated the smaller scale maps to match the exact location, some things were different. If you'll look at Paul's PNG, on the leftmost display, in the selected play area, there is a river with magma on one side, and a green dot on the other. But on my generated map, the magma and green dot are reversed, to the opposing side of the river. I still got them both ingame, and even the damm eagle that also scared a woodcutter once but left me alone otherwise.

This was generated on Linux/wine.

Must be some fascinating math going on here.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

A single seed should technically generate a wide range of worlds, hence, trading seeds probably won't give you a world like theirs, unless maybe if you have the exact same computer or processor and get really lucky.  Would be much better, but not exactly bandwidth efficient to trade the saved world itself.

Try this little experiment and see what you get:  Pick a seed, any number that will fit, and create 5 worlds from that seed, each with the same name, and see if you get the same world each time.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix:
<STRONG>A single seed should technically generate a wide range of worlds, hence, trading seeds probably won't give you a world like theirs, unless maybe if you have the exact same computer or processor and get really lucky.  Would be much better, but not exactly bandwidth efficient to trade the saved world itself.

Try this little experiment and see what you get:  Pick a seed, any number that will fit, and create 5 worlds from that seed, each with the same name, and see if you get the same world each time.</STRONG>

You'll get the same world every time. You clearly don't understand how seeding a RNG works. Assuming there are the same number of calls to the RNG each attempt (which should always be the case if the parameters are set up identically) the result will be 100% identical every time you try it with the same seed.

The reason people are getting different results stem from two things:
1) Specifying a random name vs picking your own name results in a different number of calls to the RNG, thus changing the outcome of the seed.
2) Different operating systems respond slightly differently to most off-the-shelf RNGs.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix:
<STRONG>Try this little experiment and see what you get:  Pick a seed, any number that will fit, and create 5 worlds from that seed, each with the same name, and see if you get the same world each time.</STRONG>

I'm about to try that (random name), but my inclination is that they will all have the same result.

In respect to world (seed) 0, I don't think that's intentional, but rather a convenient result.  If you didn't realize, it was actually a no-reject generation.  The reason why I don't think it was intentional is due to the fact that it would be more convenient if that was the automatic starting location.

And the second copy of the above world has been generated (I had previously generated world 0, just regenerated it) and from the cursory look, it seems to be identical. (Just starting the Age of Myth for the 3rd time.)

Edit: Beat by Zurai. I would like to add something in addition to #2, the RNG in DF is statically linked, therefore would have the same result on all operating systems.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Jifodus ]

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

I found the perfect spot without cheating/revealing! It's located on a cliff face that goes up about 20-25 Z-levels and goes down 20-25 Z-levels so plenty of room, it has plains, heaps and heaps and heaps of wood, wildlife, heaps of minerals and valuable rock, magma (but no volcano), constant conflict with goblins (never gets dull), heaps of springs that seem to never dry up (warm weather and conveniently scattered around the mountain edges and sand, lots and lots of sand to the extreme side of the map half-way up the mountain. I'm in location heaven right now. I could not have picked a more perfect spot. I don't care if it doesn't have a volcano or pits (haven't found any yet) it is a great spot for a fortress.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

621975 Has many volcanos, including 3 connected n a straight line with magma vents on nearby squares.  It also has two mountain peaks that you can build.  The three connected volcanos are located in a haunted mountain range that looks like

code:

MMMMM
M^^^~~~
MMM~~
  ~
  ~

Search near the center of the map.  Anyway, its a good stage for volcano lovers.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Gangsta Spanksta ]

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>People need to note whether they're including a randomly-generated name with the seed and which operating system was used to generate the seed. Both can change the resulting world. curufaukor's, for example, is only the way he describes it for windows XP with a non-randomly generated name.</STRONG>

Ah shoots. :P mines was generated in x86-64 Linux.  I suppose most people here don't have that

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8