Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 22302 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2007, 12:57:00 am »

Hey, for the folks wondering about disparities between the maps with the same seed:

I think that maybe the seed produces the exact same world before history begins, but maybe when history starts, it unfolds differently each time regardless of the seed number.  Anyone want to put that to the test?  I am pretty sure that civs and the like can affect terrain a bit, maybe by hacking down forests and so on.  Also, I've seen huge purple evil areas suddenly disappear during the whole history process, so I guess the armies of goodness triumphed over the goblins or something.  Just a theory.

I wonder if Toady would care to comment?  :)

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

Its the random number generator in C.  generally, if you don't pass the seeder a value, all PCs will generate the same world.  Most programmers pass the current time string that includes date and year to the seeder, making games somewhat random, since most people's computers don't have the exact same time down to microseconds or nanoseconds. Anyway, you will get a different map for the seed, if he ever has to generate an additional random number during map generation. So, if he adds oil deposits, maps generated that aren't saved should be lost.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2007, 06:01:00 am »

Personally, I like to generate birthday seeds, in the D/MM/YYYY format (so no zero before the number, as this seems to add all subsequent numbers for some reason?)
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2007, 07:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by The13thRonin:
<STRONG>I found the perfect spot without cheating/revealing! It's located on a cliff face that goes up about 20-25 Z-levels and goes down 20-25 Z-levels so plenty of room, it has plains, heaps and heaps and heaps of wood, wildlife, heaps of minerals and valuable rock, magma (but no volcano), constant conflict with goblins (never gets dull), heaps of springs that seem to never dry up (warm weather and conveniently scattered around the mountain edges and sand, lots and lots of sand to the extreme side of the map half-way up the mountain. I'm in location heaven right now. I could not have picked a more perfect spot. I don't care if it doesn't have a volcano or pits (haven't found any yet) it is a great spot for a fortress.</STRONG>

Wow. sounds great. Any chance you'll provide the seed# and general location of the find?

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

I just discovered the ultimate pit chasm seed.. Nigh every mineral one can think of, with wide expanses of silt and loam where the cave/chasm becomes wider underground.. Also populated with iron men near the bottom (15 levels down)..

Quite a few rejects though.. Seed 2029311734

curufaukor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>People need to note whether they're including a randomly-generated name with the seed and which operating system was used to generate the seed. Both can change the resulting world. curufaukor's, for example, is only the way he describes it for windows XP with a non-randomly generated name.</STRONG>

I'm sorry -- I didn't realize that was the case. I've used other people's seeds and gotten the worlds just as they described (Paul's, for example).

I was running Windows XP SP2 on an intel processor and I used a non-random name "The World of Pagan".

Languidiir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tcombat.b1.jcink.com
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

My current fortress is on a pretty sweet spot: Halfway up a mountain, with a level above and below, surrounded by forest and water, with a large platinum mine underneath.

Perfect for rooms full of engravings.

A young man said, "Damn,
It is borne upon me that I am
   A creature that moves
   In predestinate grooves
Not even a bus, but a tram."

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by curufaukor:
<STRONG>

I'm sorry -- I didn't realize that was the case. I've used other people's seeds and gotten the worlds just as they described (Paul's, for example).</STRONG>

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean that as an admonishment, merely a note for the future.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

I found a good seed... seed 2^5 or 100000  (thats 32 for all you normal people). (on windows xp)  only 4 rejects too.

Here is a screeny of the region map. (On the world, the x is hiding in the yellow mountains on the second row from the top, in the middle.)

It has magma, sand, trees, the head of a river, erie glowing pits(and adamantine) flux, a under ground river, and a small chasm it emptys into.  If you expand the map, there are 2 more, much larger chasms on the map... but they are in the FAR northwest, and FAR south of the map.

One more thing, it is untamed wilderness... and there are goblins... but it is a cold region... meaning most of the time that river head is frozen...  (if that kinda slows your plan to create a giant, above ground water basin to empty into that erie pit once you breach it... well... sorry...)

NOTE:  The local map in the pic is a little big, all you really need is the river head and the magma in each corner of the local map to get everything... but i am afraid that this might make the river permantly frozen... but i simply cant be sure... i guess if you channeled a bit of the magma... then it might melt a bit... hehe...

The same region has a nice volcanic island in the south west, and right by the location i just gave to you all, is another volcano that i have not explored.  i am sure there are other good spots to... since it is such a nice... computer number, 32...

edit: changed some info about the entire region
[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: pbheadtemp ]

nother edit: should this go in the wiki if you all like it??  (also added a few capital letters... and periods... prolly still missing a few... )

nother edit: added/changed info about map size

Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Rick

• Bay Watcher
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>

You'll get the same world every time. You clearly don't understand how seeding a RNG works. Assuming there are the same number of calls to the RNG each attempt (which should always be the case if the parameters are set up identically) the result will be 100% identical every time you try it with the same seed.

The reason people are getting different results stem from two things:
1) Specifying a random name vs picking your own name results in a different number of calls to the RNG, thus changing the outcome of the seed.
2) Different operating systems respond slightly differently to most off-the-shelf RNGs.</STRONG>

Toady uses his an implementation of Mersenne Twister, there is no reason for it to work differently between versions of Windows (except maybe a bug on x64 but I doubt it). Wine should be emulating a correct Windows enviornment anyway.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>Yeah, the only thing my map is missing is sand. I kind of miss it, but I don't really HAVE to have it.</STRONG>

Hey, Paul, when I expanded your starting area 2 spaces eastward (so it's 7x4), I got red sand on the far right edge of the map.  Obviously, this is going to be a bigger drain on a computer.

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

I dont think that theres a "perfect seed". All maps have fantastic spots, you just gotta find it. My last map was odd anyway, 1/4 part of the map contained those purple signs in the NE corner. Huge mountain ranges there and everything was haunted / terrifying.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Either im blind, or your world is generated slightly different from mine. I examined the entire map square with a fort covering the whole thing before I put it on the wiki to check it for resources. I picked the area I chose for a small taste of most every feature on the map without getting too big, and I never saw any sand on the map.

Just looked again, and I can't find any sand 2 squares to the east. It's not on the list of soils, and I don't see it after looking around.

As a note, the map square does contain a few things not in the section. It has a rather large kobold cave (with leader and guards) to the south, a massive chasm to the northwest loaded with creatures(the section I picked contains a small corner of it), and another big pit chasm to the southwest with a few assorted -man creatures.

If your map still has the other resources, I'd love to know how you got it generated with sand. Are you on a diff OS, or did you edit raw files? I had edited my soil file once to make clay act as sand and my map generated with sand and mudstone instead of limestone, so the raws do influence things.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

what is so fancy about it?
well, it has a HUGE "lake", the size of a small ocean.
and THE ENTIRE MIDDLE is CUT IN HALF by the mountains! there are only two ways to cross the mountains, far,far east, and a narrow western chain of mountain lakes. there is also just one tiny narrow point in the mountains where someone could build a tunnel passage!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Helo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

Seed 2967067655.

Well I thought I'd make a contribution. There is one location where you could make several interesting fortresses. The local area is calm/serene and has a magma pipe, river, cave river, cave lake, chasm, pit, demon pit, sand along the left edge and all along the river, and trees in the north. Unfortunately everything is not in one tiny area. The area I have selected here has everything except the trees, cave river, and chasm.

Extending this a little to the right gets you the chasm, and a little to the left gets you the cave river. You could also use the upper part of the map to get trees, but this would cut off the demon and chasm pits. It lacks a good source of coke, but it has huge amounts of magnetite and flux materials all over the place.

Edit: Looks like I underestimated how far to the left that cave river is. Looks like you need a 9 wide area to get both the magma pipe and the river.

[ November 10, 2007: Message edited by: Helo ]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8