Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 21945 times)

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

Anyone know where the magma on paul's seed is? I've been playing it for about a year but haven't found it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2007, 02:51:00 am »

If you're using the section I had on the image, the magma is in the lower left side just under the surface. Its almost in the bottom center but a bit to the left.

You can see it on the map when you select the spot.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2007, 09:58:00 am »

Urgh. I want to see the demon pits, but for whatever reason Paul's seed just doesn't produce the same world for me, whether I use a random world name or not. Anybody have a blank world save zipped up somewhere?

I've recently generated a world with a pretty fantastic map save for one thing. It's got a brook, volcano with magma, frequent pockets of aluminum, a ton of obsidian, white sand, some trees, a small aquifer that's easily dug around, outdoor arable land... and a really cool looking chasm as well as a number of resident baddies to keep things entertaining. Seed is 2928863120, used a non-random world name. The volcano in question is a bit east of the north end of the vertical, narrow sea.

The problem is, there's not a drop of iron ore or flux on the map for steel production. The hunt for the perfect seed continues.

[ November 11, 2007: Message edited by: Reynard ]

Officer Tom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

All this talk about magma makes me remember the worst starting place I've ever been to, which I also took pictures of.  :D

Starting location:

Same picture, but one level lower:

There is nothing supporting it, it's just a thin piece of land sticking over a pit of magma! The dwarves couldn't get to their booze because of the imps in the lava,  so I gave up. Before I abandoned it, I gathered everyone near the wagon, and built a channel across the hanging cliff, causing all of them to fall into the lava, and die.

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Reynard, Toady has stated that every mountain tile has a demon pit somewhere. If you'd like I can regenerate the world I'm currently playing and send it to you. It has a magma vent, chasm, underground river, pits, and plenty of chasm (and presumably other) creatures. (Although at the rate they're killing each other i doubt there'll be any left for me.)

The mountain is made of obsidian so that's a plus, it has red sand if you trample the grass, only hitch is it's a large map (5 or 6 x 11? I forget) or larger if you want the full glory of the beautiful chasm plus trees (10x12? I forget, I forget again -Dimitri JA2)

P.S.- Also I've yet to find good ore or flux, so far just aluminum and native copper, but the map is huge so there's still a good possibility.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

Reynard, I could send you my world in a zip file if you want? Just PM me an email to send it to you on. I have stopped playing it, though. The small size is good, but the map-spanning river combined with the magma vent just creates too much lag. I get 60ish fps, but I can get 200 on a similar sized map without a magma vent and with a smaller river section. Plus theres no sand to be had anywhere. I'm currently playing a group of dwarf camel farmers living in imported wooden huts in the middle of an empty desert, with a tiny bit of river flowing through one corner. 200fps, more if my cap was higher  :)

I've yet to actually kill off the demons... I flooded their chamber with a neverending waterfall of water while their room was sealed up with a floor over the staircase and all it did was make a whole bunch of steam and never even get down below the stairs where the demons came up to. Didn't bother them in the least. Then when I opened up the pit they immediately killed the poor worker who opened it, and then rushed out after my military. I killed at least a dozen of the flaming things before they burned up my axedwarves, but they kept coming. I even armed my entire fortress as a militia force and all 80 or so of them got turned to ash by the demon waves. The last survivor was a cowardly dwarf who left the fight to drink (Can't blame him, really), but he was quickly killed before he could seal up the gates (too busy drinking to pull the lever that would've saved him). I suppose next time I'll have to mine out all the adamantine I can before reaching the pits, and suit up my best dwarves fully in adamantine instead of just axes.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

Found the magma paul. Thanks!

BeardlessDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2007, 01:15:00 am »

I am putting together a bunch of sites that have sand/magma/wood/EGP/flux
I am using seed 13 which has 65 fails so it takes a while to generate, maybe I will do it again using a fast seed for people with slower computers.

I have used areas that are no bigger than 6X6 or a variation there of. 6x6, 5X7 or 8X4 etc.. So the total squares covered won't be more than 36.

I have also gotten other features in where possible, chasm, caves,underground river, aboveground flowing water etc...

I will post this list once I am done.

I am doing this so that peopel can play spots knowing everything is there but without having to spoil the discovery by using reveal. Hopefully once I have enough I can randomly pick one and I too will have fogotten where everything is.

PS. EGP is eerie glowing pit.(these seem to always have adamantium)

[ November 12, 2007: Message edited by: BeardlessDwarf ]

[ November 12, 2007: Message edited by: BeardlessDwarf ]

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2007, 05:41:00 am »

Great idea, but rememember a river, too!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

Lately I've been playing on maps without magma, because magma just cuts the fps down so much. It really does make a big difference. On my map that I was getting 50 fps on, I used that glitch that eats magma (placing stockpile on it) to drain the magma vent. When it was drained down to the bottom, I was getting 100fps. It was cutting my fps in half  :D

On a similar map (similar in the way of animals and cliffs and size, that is) without a river or magma, I was pulling 150. Make it 3x3 with no river or magma, and I was getting a constant 200 (probably more if I had the cap set higher).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2007, 01:20:00 am »

Let's keep this thread floating, shall we?

A site I found is a bit of a stretch, but only if you Really need a river. It's 4x9.

So far, I have confirmed the presence of all kinds of ores, flux, coal/lignite, and a whopping two chasms, one of which is an empty magma pipe. I have yet to go looking for magma, but it must be there, seeing as the tile is volcanic. There are pools and trees and stuf like that, but it's way down below, and there are some monsters that creep out of the chasm. The said monsters also seem to have found sand somewhere, because after a while I saw that the spot they appeared at is surrounded by numerous tiles of white sand.

The river is a bit far away, so to have a guaranteed water source I went for a long 4x9 site.

The seed is 1110001110 (binary 910), the site is southeast of map center (or east of the inland ocean), a small riverside volcano neighboring 3 mountain tiles.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

That's pretty funny, Officer Tom ... I think you handled the situation properly   :D
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

Deleruthgur, my current fortress, is located on a *mountain* of limestone and magnetite, with a nice lava vent.
There is also a brook, lots of sand, an underground lake and... guess what   :)

Seed is 30111975, and refer to the picture below for placement :

EDITED : This seed seems broken on the current version (33f)... too bad :s

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Yag Alone ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Yag Alone:
<STRONG>Deleruthgur, my current fortress, is located on a *mountain* of limestone and magnetite, with a nice lava vent.
There is also a brook, lots of sand, an underground lake and... guess what   :)

Seed is 30111975, and refer to the picture below for placement :

</STRONG>

Good gravy, the only thing that could make that any better is if you happened to chance all this along with the addy/pits tile of the mountain. Quick max size + reveal.exe to see if it's feasible?

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

Good gravy, the only thing that could make that any better is if you happened to chance all this along with the addy/pits tile of the mountain. Quick max size + reveal.exe to see if it's feasible?</STRONG>

He said "and... guess what", I at least take this as the map indeed having pits.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8