Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 22303 times)

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>
He said "and... guess what", I at least take this as the map indeed having pits.</STRONG>

So says Armok, God of Blood  :D

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »

Trying your seed this minute, Yag Alone.
You forgot the most important piece of info: the world has 5 quick rejects :-)

RubberDuckofDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

Does someone have a seed with all of these things that also is in an evil location? With Skeletal Elephants? I don't want to dive in for my first new version game. I want to launch myself downwards at terminal velocity into the chasm as far as difficulty and potential success goes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

I suppose I could find a terrifying volcanic desert island....  I think I saw one on one of my recent maps. That's as high a terminal velocity as you can get, with no trade, or trees...  I think it was called The Helpful Island, btw...  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

Yag, your map is the most breathtaking I have ever seen. Effing Aluminum on the surface too! Wowzer. Until oceans become viable, I'm going with your map, thanks for sharing.

Aorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Yag Alone:
<STRONG>Deleruthgur, my current fortress, is located on a *mountain* of limestone and magnetite, with a nice lava vent.
There is also a brook, lots of sand, an underground lake and... guess what   :)

Seed is 30111975, and refer to the picture below for placement :

</STRONG>

Could you clue me in to where the underground lake is ? if i can grow tree's there well i really need the wood

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aorik:
<STRONG>

Could you clue me in to where the underground lake is ? if i can grow tree's there well i really need the wood</STRONG>

the lake is south of the river, next to the bend. there is quite a bunch of nasties in it

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2007, 05:35:00 am »

I found a zero rejects seed; 1902354135

It's got a HUGE mountain range with access to a few named mountains. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of volcanoes, and the good parts of the mountain are surrounded by treeless savannas. Still, there are plenty of semi-isolated valleys in the range that have wonderful access to rivers and extreme cliffs.

I have yet to pinpoint a perfect location in this mountain range for a fortress, but it has to be there somewhere.

EDIT: Bingo. A named mountain, exposed over a black sand desert. My dwarves started on a cliff that is !!61!! units above ground level.

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: Akael ]

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Yag Alone:
<STRONG>
the lake is south of the river, next to the bend. there is quite a bunch of nasties in it</STRONG>

On what level relative to the brook?
- the one with the 7's, the one above(brook level) or deep below?

Also: about where is the magma?

Thanks alot in advance!

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

I found a location with pretty much EVERYTHING in it (magma,iron,flux,water,trees,sand,chasm,pit) and its only 8x4

Read more in this thread: Your Criteria for the Perfect Location

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: palin88 ]

Wraithmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »

wat is a guod seed for newbie like me? i just start yestorday. is paul a good one to start with?

i try random seeds for 2-3 hours and culdnt find any good place to build.

thankes :)

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2007, 05:54:00 am »

Paul's is probably a good nub start, I recall it being a pretty friendly area assuming the eagle leaves you alone (it did for me)

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

I've got a decent one here, for those who want some difficulty.  It's not perfect (missing flux), and there's 99 rejects to go through, not all of them early.

But here's what I found in my quick run down of the area:
- Magma, clearly.
- A cave sporting a trendy Bronze Colossus
- Terrifying environment with some undead hoary marmots
- Trees.  Not many, but enough.
- Red sand with an aquifer
- White sand
- Tetrahedrite, Galena and Hematite are pretty common
- No pits

That's not the whole thing, what's funny is that there are four volcanoes within about...One regional view square, and they're all planted in the middle of a desert.  In fact, in the square right next to the one above, you get much of the same (no red sand/aquifer, fewer trees, no Bronze Colossus in a cave either) BUT you get an underground lake.

I didn't look it over thoroughly, but it looks promising for people who want some challenge.

Created in DF v0.27.169.33c.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:STANDARD]
   [SEED:2206914060]

Snogmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

Yeah for a starter I recommend Paul's.  It even has the good stuff semi-hidden (chasm and magma vent don't reach surface)  The eagle isn't all that bad and adds a bit of spice.
quot;A man chooses, a dwarf obeys."

Andrew "Tarn" Ryan, Mid-Winter, year 1960

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

In regard to the map I submitted, the only thing it is really missing is sand.

But I just generated it in 33d and it came out with entirely different minerals and soils. The funny thing is, it came out with SIGNIFICANTLY better minerals and soils. The only editing I did to minerals which I assume affected this was changing kimberlite to form in a cluster instead of a vein.

Exact same location pictured in the image has an area with basalt and 2 layers of gabbro on the lower area, chalk gneiss and diorite on the upper area, and black sand/dolomite/granite/diorite on the rightmost square with sparse trees.

It has all the same features, just different rocks/soils. I haven't tested to see if the change to kimberlite is what did this, or if its something different in 34d, but kimberlite is the only mineral I changed.

So if someone wants to try and generate the world I'm describing, just go to the kimberlite listing and change it to appear in clusters instead of veins and then generate the same world I mentioned before. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn't make tons of diamonds. It seems to do like 1 little cluster of either diamonds or rhodolite per big kimberlite cluster.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8