Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 21948 times)

The Perfect Seed?
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

Anybody manage to get all features in a relatively (8x8 or less) area?

By all features I mean: river, chasm, magma, pits. (adamantium?)

Note: I'm currently generating worlds and looking for prime real-estate, so if anybody has requests post here too and if I find what you want on my search I'll let you know.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

I got everything besides pits.  I have an aquifer + magma too

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:32:00 pm »

that would require a great deal of reveal-cheating, which takes the fun out of the game IMO.

i posted this seed in another thread, and its pretty effing cool.

[SEED:941486140]

not only is it ZERO REJECTED, but its got several island volcanoes.  one of them has a caldera by the coast with a cliff overhanging it, and an aquifer which i THINK has fresh water in it..  several spots have magma and steep cliffs and trees and rivers.  Lots of the goblin forts are in neat locations.  

i dont know about adamantine and pits, but there are good odds that some of the areas will have that.  ive been exploring this map a bit siteing a few forts to look at the landscape, and its pretty darn sexy.  you should give it a whirl.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:37:00 pm »

I've been generating worlds looking for magma, underground water, sand, and good-aligned woods all in one spot (ideally on a volcano or named mountain).

I've come rather close to what you request- though the magma and the pits are on opposite sides of the map... Any other arrangement of features you could probably do in 8x8, and there's a kobold cave there to boot.

It's an isolated volcano in the north-west corner of this map:
It's surrounded by pine forests and doesn't look like much until you embark...

I think a nice exchange system for map scourers is a good idea- I too will look out for any requests posted here as I try to find what I'm looking for.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:48:00 pm »

puke, I've never been one to use reveal before but I have been doing tests with it now just because features aren't guaranteed and it can be a drag to settle somewhere crappy and not know it for hours or days of game play. I did reveal on my old fort right before abandoning and discovered that I had nothing but orthoclase and diorite everywhere and the sparsely populated chasm I already knew about. I'd put 4 years on this fort and would've been upset if I put in 5 or 6 more before I discovered what a garbage spot it was.

Since, with and w\o reveal I've found some nicer locations. Even one chasm\magma\river visible w\o reveal, I've just been having fun (and obsessing) with generating worlds and seeing what kind of terrain I can find.

Also I'm not bothered by using reveal as much because I can scroll to last level and take a quick look at what features I have w\o taking the time to study ores.  (They'll appear on right-hand overview map.) Were I to find my perfect world I'd end process and start there w\o reveal. Only thing spoiled will be knowing there is danger (fun) somewhere in my mountain.

Edit: Ty Elba but I want civ interactions. Will keep an eye out for what you describe but I'm not sure if sand\forest\mountain combo are possible. Generating umpteenth world now  ;)

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

You were spoiled by having guaranteed mountain features. Magma forges, adamantine, and chasm dwellers are all amenities your dwarves can live without.

On a different note, I have a 7x3 area on my world with a volcano, a brook, and a chasm. Not sure if it has pits.
I didnt really start much of a fort since so far I've been more interested in aquifers and sieging the goblins back.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Vengeful Donut ]

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »

Actually Vengeful, I never even bothered digging to adamantium in the former version. But yes, I think I was spoiled by knowing I could; also my 1st location I wasn't picky about at all and wound up with as stated, crap. (Lots of orthoclase, a chasm which looked cool but had nothing but a few troglodytes, and no water except for some small murky pools.) I think I'm overcompensating now, in fact I know I am, but it's keeping me entertained thus far so why not?

Edit: And if I find cool stuff for myself or others in the process, then double plus.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:10:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Edit: Ty Elba but I want civ interactions. Will keep an eye out for what you describe but I'm not sure if sand\forest\mountain combo are possible. Generating umpteenth world now   ;)
</STRONG>

Ah, that's not what I meant by isolated, I meant not part of a mountain range. It still has full contact with all civilizations.

Mountain isn't critical to my goals- but I actually do have a sand/forest/mountain/magma combo... there's just no water at all and it bugs the hell out of me... and my injured dwarves...

Chances are one of those wimpy non-mountain volcanoes in a good-aligned forest would meet my goals (named mountains/volcanoes tend to be rife with additional hidden features).

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »

Yes, I just spawned a world with buttloads of sand\good forest\mountain areas but they all seemed to lack water and any map visible magma vents.

I'll letcha know if world # "I forget" has something better  :)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

I have a great map. I'm enjoying it so far. Have been building a massive castle on the surface in the center of the map, using stone from the cliffs nearby.

It has everything I know of - demon pits, cave river (small one, but still), chasm (it hits the corner of it, if you wanted a bigger chasm, you could expand the map bigger), a river running all through it (warm climate too, so it never freezes), tons of minerals (plenty of limestone + iron), outdoor trees, magma (unrevealed at first, but its there). And its only a 5x4 area with low cliffs, so the game runs fast.

The seed is :4265985437
And heres an image of the exact location. You would never find it otherwise, I stumbled onto it when looking for a good limestone mountain area.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

Elba: If you can deal with awkward (or large) size then I've just the thing for ya, joyous wilds, with sand, a sizable brook and a big ole' magma vent. (Was doing 3x16 and getting 60 fps) Right below that area is a named volcano that should have everything you want but you'd need to do a huge map to fit all the features, awkward shape it seems. Gonna keep a backup of the world\seed for a bit so let me know if you're interested.

Paul: Gonna try it out right now. Sounds promising, thanks in advance regardless.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

Well, Paul's sounds better, but I do have an 8x8 map that meets all of the original criteria... but doesn't have any trees...

I'll post mine anyway as I already took the time to document it:

It's got a lake and an underground river, as well as a pit chasm and a more traditional chasm, glowing pits, and a magma vent.

Edit:

quote:
Gonna keep a backup of the world\seed for a bit so let me know if you're interested.

Well what's the number? I might as well check it out.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

Hope you like it.

I'm having fun with it. The only hitch so far has been the constant bother of a giant eagle that just won't go away. I sent one of my legendary miners with super good stats after it when it killed both my war dogs and the miner got ripped apart as fast as the dogs. It has killed all of my animals, my miner, and two unsuspecting immigrants so far. I also think it killed a bunch of goats, because I hadn't been killing any animals and noticed my bonecarver making goat bone crafts. Sure enough, there was 7 dead goats in my creature list.

I also suggest being very careful if you find the adamantine, my first little fortress attempt at a different location died miserably when I dug into it. My poor dwarves didn't stand a chance.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

I have been looking for a lot mountains against the ocean. I have a very clear mental image of what I want my fortress to look like, with main gates at one end, great windowed rooms opening onto the sea, and interior courtyards and glassed-in gardens. To do it though, I need these tall cliffs against the ocean. Right now, I am playing on #12033, it's Ok, but nothing special.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

Seed: 2864864592

I dunno how to take screenshots but there are 3 volcanos in the lower left corner. The rightmost one of those is what you'd want, or the area directly up.
And I'll check out your seed after Paul's anyhow.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8