Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 22204 times)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>Seed: 2864864592

I dunno how to take screenshots but there are 3 volcanos in the lower left corner. The rightmost one of those is what you'd want, or the area directly up.
And I'll check out your seed after Paul's anyhow.</STRONG>

Oh hell yes- not the area directly up, but the area directly down- there was a hidden magma lake as well as a hidden river in a 3x4 area.

Perfect map- thank you.

After checking out Paul's map, I think it should be added to the wiki or something- it has just about everything in quite a manageable area...

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

Your welcome.

Actually, I don't know why but I couldn't orient myself with Paul's map. I think I'm too used to the old version for now and am thrown off by the river dividing the mountains. Your's was exactly what I'd want if you could choose where the wagon arrives. You're right though, personal quirk aside, that's an amazing map and thank you Paul.

In the meantime, I've kept both worlds in a backup folder and am generating more for the hell of it. If I find something for PTTG I'll post.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>After checking out Paul's map, I think it should be added to the wiki or something- it has just about everything in quite a manageable area...</STRONG>

Check out Pregenerated worlds. I've made some updates based on this and other threads. Feel free to add your own.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

Here is a beaut: 12033

Once you have it, start your fort way down by the bottom, third from the bottom and the right on the world map:

xxxx
xOxx
xxxx
xxxx

right there. Tons of Magnetite AND Limestone with granite bedrock and rich silt in the forest. between the limestone and granite, there is the possibility for nearly every mineral. Now, there is that river source there. starting there, go north two and east three on the mid-map. You are now in the righ spot... now on the mini-map, get a place right up on the right edge.

What is so special about this? in your mind, rotate that cliff to be on the right side...

It's just like old times!!!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 02:41:00 am »

So do all maps have pits? Is there any good way to tell? My map is on a flat desert (it shares a wasteland biome with an aquifer) and I can't imagine there being a volcanic seam down there. I don't want to abandon it, but I've been looking forward to magma and pits...
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 02:53:00 am »

No, most maps don't have magma or pits.

The magma pools or volcanos are shown on the minimap when you select. Its a little red ≈, same icon that magma uses in the game map. The volcanos are even shown on the world map as red ^.

The pits are under mountains from what I've seen, and then only on certain squares. Only way to find them legitimately would be to dig deep all around the map a few Z levels from the bottom. Or you can use the reveal utility, but that also disables the special "feature" of the pits, so unless you wanted to cheat you'd not want to use reveal other than to find out if they exist or not and then load back before you used it.

If you just want to try a map with a guaranteed pit and a little of everything without having to search or cheat, the one I posted here has most anything you could ask for.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

Ok, tired and not even sure where this seed came from.I just found it in a backup folder, if it's somebody else's map then sorry about credit. But here is the seed:

What's special? Well at least 11 volcanos are dotting the lower half, 2 of which are islands. Should be something for everybody maybe, haven't checked it all out. (Except all you glacier folk.)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>Check out Pregenerated worlds. I've made some updates based on this and other threads. Feel free to add your own.</STRONG>

Ah, that should be a useful page to remember! I modified my description that you quoted for additional detail, and a more wiki-worthy tone.

That page could really stand to be better organized... but I don't exactly have a lot of wiki-editing skills...

quote:
Originally posted by Paul
<STRONG>No, most maps don't have magma or pits.

The magma pools or volcanos are shown on the minimap when you select. Its a little red ≈, same icon that magma uses in the game map. The volcanos are even shown on the world map as red ^.</STRONG>

Additionally, there's a really high chance that even if there's no vent on the surface, a map with a dark first mineral on the embark screen probably has a hidden magma lake or vent somewhere.

That said, you'll probobly not find it if you're just using a 3x3 area or something...

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

I checked on reveal.exe and found that I have no pits, adamantine, chasm, magma, underground lakes, or profusions of interesting minerals. That lets me concentrate on my fortress itself, though. At least there's enough metal to keep me going.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Aeloi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aeloi
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

I wonder if there are any easter egg seeds, or easter eggs unlocked by certain fortress names etc.
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

Honestly  I don't care about these things for their l33tne$$, I just like them to keep me occupied. My gripe with my last fortress having crap isn't one of "Arg! No uber armorz!!". It's the fact that it was getting boring with a tame outside, goblins sieges not attacking, etc.; and the lack of interesting things inside the cave made it look set to stay that way.

My new fortress, although giving me crappier fps, I have more interesting things to deal with. I forgot where my minerals were from reveal.exe surveying. (I mean adamantium is above the pits, but I'm only roughly sure of where they are anyhow.) What I do know from terrain is I'll need to breach magma cause I've no trees, and if I start digging chasm I've literally an army of troglodytes alone to deal with. Plus I can't figure out what's killing deer and caveswallowmen, hopefully not themselves.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

I know what you mean. The seed I posted seems fairly tame as far as wildlife goes (except for the eagle, but it has left me alone lately), but it does get some goblin sieges.

I had an army of goblins archers and crossbowmen this last time, only 1 of them was non-ranged and there was around 18 or so. I tried to get them with my marksdwarves (they were mostly around expert level) with a few axedwarves in the front, and even with decent quality steel armor I lost 11 out of 14 dwarves. My poor little fort won't recover unless I get some immigrants and train em up quick, I had my population capped at 20. Guess it might be time to make me some siege defenses, instead of fighting them straight up. The one before this was mostly melee goblins, and my dwarves had nothing more than a minor wound here or there that healed up quickly.

Ranged weapons are still so deadly  
 :eek:

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 03:09:00 am »

River monsters have been raping my dwarves as of late. I think they got raped so badly the game crashed! (See http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000922  for details)

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 04:56:00 am »

Has anyone spotted a limestone location with a volcano? I simply hate the boring rocks that usually go with volcanoes.

Pathos

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 07:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>Honestly  I don't care about these things for their l33tne$$, I just like them to keep me occupied. My gripe with my last fortress having crap isn't one of "Arg! No uber armorz!!". It's the fact that it was getting boring with a tame outside, goblins sieges not attacking, etc.; and the lack of interesting things inside the cave made it look set to stay that way.

My new fortress, although giving me crappier fps, I have more interesting things to deal with. I forgot where my minerals were from reveal.exe surveying. (I mean adamantium is above the pits, but I'm only roughly sure of where they are anyhow.) What I do know from terrain is I'll need to breach magma cause I've no trees, and if I start digging chasm I've literally an army of troglodytes alone to deal with. Plus I can't figure out what's killing deer and caveswallowmen, hopefully not themselves.</STRONG>

Gief. =D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8