Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: The Perfect Seed?  (Read 21944 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: The Perfect Seed?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goran:
<STRONG>Has anyone spotted a limestone location with a volcano? I simply hate the boring rocks that usually go with volcanoes.</STRONG>

I've seen several.

The seed I posted in this very thread has limestone + volcanic rocks + magma chamber, it's no volcano but it's still magma.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

I've been checking out your spot Paul, have you found any sand?  I haven't seen any on it yet.
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pathos:
<STRONG>

Gief. =D</STRONG>

What is Gief?

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>

I've seen several.

The seed I posted in this very thread has limestone + volcanic rocks + magma chamber, it's no volcano but it's still magma.</STRONG>

Actually, I've already sorted it out... kinda... a bit of tweaking the raws and now layers of volcanic stone contain clusters of limestone and magnetite.  :D

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

Paul that location is full of awesome. I haven't dug below a few z levels yet, but so far it looks great. I forget if there is sand around, but if there is, this is the best loation I've ever played. That magma location was perfect.   :)
o matter the cost.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

Anyone have any seeds with a good waterfall + magma location? I want to build a fort behind a waterfall for coolness factor, but I'm having a devil of a time even finding waterfalls on the world map, let alone maps with waterfall + magma.
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

Have yet to see an outdoor waterfall. The rivers\brooks seem to create canyons rather than run on top of mountains.

Helo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 05:02:00 am »

I saw an incredible outdoor waterfall, but just once. It ran across the top of a mountain and then fell about 15 z levels straight down before it flowed off the map. Unfortunately this was before I knew what I was doing with this new version so even if it had any other features that were remotely interesting, which it didn't, I don't have the world anymore. At least it is possible though.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 06:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Durnheist:
<STRONG>I've been checking out your spot Paul, have you found any sand?  I haven't seen any on it yet.</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure that location only has clay.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 06:31:00 am »

My fortress is quite sympathetic. The first floor is made of red sand, so no need to even irrigate it. And on the second level under the ground, I found some native platinum. That is, I mined out platinum nuggets ! that's cool.

anonymousphrase

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

So I just generated Paul's World and set out to see all I could see.....but things weren't quite right.

If one compares with Paul's pic:

You'll note that they are quite similar, but not the same.  The red sand desert in region view is yellow for me.  Locally, the river changed course, the lava moved. This bodes ill for my hopes of features.

Has anyone else notice these sorts of changes?  Or am I a victim of that most exacting error, the typo?

his sig has been deprecated.
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 06:42:00 am »

Think you're typo struck, but that's interesting if a type generates such a similar world. That makes me wonder if Seed numbers assume some order of generation, where disparity in # value = difference between worlds.

anonymousphrase

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:00 am »

My thoughts exactly, Jive Turkey.  My thoughts exactly.  But I just recalled that by performing a "Export Local Image" from the in-game menu a text file containing the seed would be included. So pasted directly from there: [SEED:4265985437].

Sure looks the same to me.  Anyhow, here's the surface layer, moments after the game has begun.  I'd be fascinated to see how much difference there is between any other generations performed and this.

And as I upload the file I realize, I'm running Dwarf Fortress in Wine, and thus in Linux.  And that just might explain it...or not.  I'm even more curious now.

his sig has been deprecated.
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

Definitely not the map I saw when I tried Paul's! That looks pretty damn cool too though.

Seed looks the same to these tired eyes, that's pretty damn strange then. Don't know what else to say for now, other than enjoy.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 09:05:00 am »

that's really interesting. my world on that tile came out like this: http://i21.tinypic.com/2nlfu5i.jpg

the magma is in a different place and the terrain types are different, but the course of the brook and the shape of the terrain is exactly the same.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8