Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I do not suffer from TVtropes or Wikipedia dependancy  (Read 4669 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
I do not suffer from TVtropes or Wikipedia dependancy
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »

It's true. I don't. In fact, I don't understand why people always say that whenever someone links to TVtropes, they end up wasting hours just browsing that site. Why is that? Curiousity? Lack of self control?

Are there any others who share the same affliction of not being able to be arsed enough to be addicted to popular trivia sites?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: I do not suffer from TVtropes or Wikipedia dependancy
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:33:26 pm »

A lot of curiousity. Cause each given article links to others..and those link to others..and many are particularly interesting, so it leads on and on and on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:36:09 pm »

I blame not knowing anything about anime or pop culture.  One thing cascades into another very quickly.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:37:55 pm »

A lot of curiousity. Cause each given article links to others..and those link to others..and many are particularly interesting, so it leads on and on and on.

It's the joy of sudden, easy, rapid flow of knowledge that you *know* you could find a use for, even if that use is telling other people.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »

Simple will power to just never click a hyper link when you see one does it for me :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:51:29 pm »

Simple will power to just never click a hyper link when you see one does it for me :D
Yeah, but that implies that you don't actually want to do a quick round of some random tvtropes articles.  And sometimes I feel like doing it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:00:10 pm »

Wikipedia is a "Trivia site"? News to me.

Hell, I wouldn't even consider tvtropes to be one, although it has more than its fair share.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:24:45 pm »

Heh, I like TVTropes. It's sort of like how the academic world functions, but for pop culture. In the academic world, you have all these theories, which may not be true, but end up being pretty damn accurate to what they represent. Tropes are sort of like theories, laughably accurate.

Though some of them suck. And I'm sure there's a trope for "you spend too much time on the site".
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:08 pm »

Is there one for moaning about any link to tvtropes?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:57 pm »

Not specifically.  Yet.  There is the "TVTropes Will Ruin Your Life" article, but while it does reference the time-sink factor, it's actually about the equally real and insidious problem that TVTropes will destroy your ability to ever watch TV or a movie or read a book or play a videogame again without constantly deconstructing everything now that you know all the easy tricks of the trade.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »

I find that wikipedia is less of a time-sink but at the same time, it is hundreds of times more extensive, so although you will eventually reach the point where you can view any TVtropes page, and NOT get caught up in others just because you already read them, but with wikipedia the pages are usually shorter, often less entertaining, and mostly have fewer links, making it more of a massive gravity well than a true black hole.
Eh?
Eh!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 08:35:19 pm »

I see what you mean.  Tvtropes is crosslinked in an extremely intriguing way, so while you never jump too far you can get absolutely miles from your original location (I got from "Dwarf fortress" to "Stripperiffic", somehow.  I seem to remember it only taking 2 links).

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:38 pm »

I don't suffer from any sort of Wikipedia or TvTropes thing either, Whenever I go on either I look at what I came to look at then close the tab, no worries or problems.

I find it really annoying when someone does that whole "YOU LINKED TVTROPES, HOW COULD YOU!??!?!" crap.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:48:10 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:55:31 pm »

Am I the only one that finds it REALLY FRICKIN' ANNOYING when a page links back on itself? Like, hey, here's a link, THAT LEADS TO THE EXACT SAME PAGE! What were they thinking?!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:57:58 pm »

Am I the only one that finds it REALLY FRICKIN' ANNOYING when a page links back on itself? Like, hey, here's a link, THAT LEADS TO THE EXACT SAME PAGE! What were they thinking?!

In before the usual "YOU LINKED TO TV TROPES YOU BASTARD" post.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: [1] 2 3