Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's that, Lassie? Another noob needs help on his first creature?!  (Read 1356 times)

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So:

I started with, say, an Angel, just to keep things simple before I try other creatures (and to fuck around in Adventure Mode). Problem is, it's not showing up in any generated worlds, even when I fixed all the ennerous tags. Here's the creature file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the Entity_Default entry:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, I placed the creature file in a new text file titled creature_new, and the Entity is above the Dwarf, but I don't know if they're affecting anything in worldgen.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's that, Lassie? Another noob needs help on his first creature?!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:47 pm »

Civ generation is based on breeding pairs. Exclusively female entities simply don't work.

Also, lower speed is better, creatures without a MAX_AGE entry are immortal, and HUMANOID_FLIER probably isn't what you think it is.

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:30 pm »

Civ generation is based on breeding pairs. Exclusively female entities simply don't work.

Also, lower speed is better, creatures without a MAX_AGE entry are immortal, and HUMANOID_FLIER probably isn't what you think it is.

Yeah, I was going to remove the HF tag. It's meant to be adventure only, however.

Odd, I did see a mod that did make the elves all female (among other things, it's that NSFW one), but I doubt it'll work here...

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:41:01 pm »

Odd, I did see a mod that did make the elves all female (among other things, it's that NSFW one), but I doubt it'll work here...

LAWL, i can't imagine a NSFW dwarf fortress tileset. man, your boss must be 2 feet from your screen!

for humor's sake, i need a link to this mod. seriously, my mind cannot fathom it. it needs visual evidence.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:44:49 pm »

Yeah, I was going to remove the HF tag. It's meant to be adventure only, however.

I was talking about the HUMANOID_FLIER body entry and its lack of dedicated wings.

Also, if it's adventure only, you don't actually need a placeable entity to play it.

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »

LAWL, i can't imagine a NSFW dwarf fortress tileset. man, your boss must be 2 feet from your screen!

for humor's sake, i need a link to this mod. seriously, my mind cannot fathom it. it needs visual evidence.

It's insanely dumb.

Here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=663

See the "attacks" added to the elves, it's funny.

@LOSNR - Where do I add the indiv_controllable tag?

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »

I doubt the INDIV_CONTROLLABLE token is your problem. Try adding [ADVENTURE_TIER:4] to the entity. Nevermind, I apparently can't Ctrl+F properly.

Are you saying that they don't have a Play Now! option?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:20:59 pm by LOSNR »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:20:52 am »

Hah, you think that that is NSFW? Go up to the search bar and look for the topic Goblin Fortress [NSFW]. That topic got so out of control that it was actually locked by the great Toady one himself. Now that was a NSFW mod.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:51:01 am »

NSFW = not safe for work. If your boss reads the attacks elves make... Your boss must be strange.

Also [MAXAGE:99999999:11111111111111111] is not a good solution. It may overflow some buffer.

[FANCIFUL] - why do you need it if they're real?
[CHILD:..] is not appropriate since they are all female.
5FINGERS bodypart is not for a HUMANOID_FLIER, check the body file.
Why do they need lungs if they're NOBREATHE?

Is your ADVENTURE_TIER:4 free? And do you have it in Play Now! as it was already asked?

I will skip the discussion on attacks... But remove their weapons. I mean, really, they become 100 times worse wielding weapons with such bare-handed attacks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:57:25 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:16:03 pm »

I doubt the INDIV_CONTROLLABLE token is your problem. Try adding [ADVENTURE_TIER:4] to the entity. Nevermind, I apparently can't Ctrl+F properly.

Are you saying that they don't have a Play Now! option?

Yes.

@Deon - Well, they're Angels. And it was meant for screwing around in Adventure Mode.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 05:11:55 pm »

I understand that they're angels, I just pointed out clear errors.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »

Is your errorlog.txt file outputting anything suspicious? I don't know if it's possible, but there might be a conflict with the entry names.

Try changing ENTITY:ANGEL to something else?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »

Actually, that's wrong. Entities with a single gender will generate, they'll just all die out eventually.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:32:01 pm »

As said before [MAXAGE:99999999:11111111111111111] is overly convoluted(and may cause an overflow)  If you want them immortal just remove that tag entirely.  The game assumes immortality if they don't have that tag. (Elves and goblins for example) immortality also in some cases causes the worldgen to ignore a civ's inability to breed. 

[Speed:2000] is actually much slower than normal. Same with [SWIM_SPEED:] In the raws lower speed is better.  Default is either 1000 or 900.  Some say 1000 some say 900.

[DAMBLOCK:7777] may also be causing an overflow. This number rarely even goes over 10.  40 should also be neigh unkillable and is probably within the upper limit.

Humanoid flyer is for creatures like harpies that have no upper arms.  You would likely get closer to the traditional angel with HUMANOID:2WINGS

As this is a common misconception, [FIREIMMUNE] does not convey immunity to heat.  It just makes them think they are for pathing. (and possibly immunity direct fire damage attacks like firebreath) For true fire immunity(or at least immunity to anything vanilla can generate) you would need [HEATDAM_POINT:25100] [IGNITE_POINT:26000] [MELTING_POINT:26500] or similar values placed AFTER the [STANDARD_FLESH] entry.  That should make the creature easily immune to the hottest thing in DF existance, !!HFS!!.  Without that they would die the moment you took a dunk in magma, or slowly die of heatstroke in a forest fire. 

EDIT: [COLDDAM_POINT:] does the same for the cold.  And you can safely put that number at 0.(which is actually many times colder than absolute zero in the real world.)  With both heatdamage points and colddamage points you don't need the [STANDARD_FLESH] tag at all.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:43:33 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 10:40:09 pm »

Is your errorlog.txt file outputting anything suspicious? I don't know if it's possible, but there might be a conflict with the entry names.

Try changing ENTITY:ANGEL to something else?

No, removed anything listed in the logs.
Pages: [1] 2