Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: multi-level rooms  (Read 13976 times)

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
multi-level rooms
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:31:46 pm »

Make dorfs like multi-z spanning rooms, perhaps by giving the dwarf a happy thought ("Urist McBob has admired the architecture of a room recently") or by making it increase the room's value.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: multi-level rooms
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 06:42:43 pm »

I agree with this one. Currently I make multi z-level rooms just because I like them, but it would indeed be nice if the room value would be influenced as well.

It cant be all that hard to implement as well. The room size thing we have now would only need to be able to add z-level below/above, and the building selection would need to stay with the building when yo change z-level view.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ArPharazon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:08:23 pm »

It would be a slight headache to need any more than 2 layers though, wouldn't it? Unless we had ropes or AI-placed scaffolds.

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:00:55 am »

It would be a slight headache to need any more than 2 layers though, wouldn't it? Unless we had ropes or AI-placed scaffolds.

I did a 10z level spanning room with 3x3 pillars around just because it looks awesome.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:56:16 pm »

I thought we were getting rope ladders in this release?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:36:49 pm »

I thought we were getting rope ladders in this release?

Hopefully.  It's in the underground section, but Toady hasn't seemed to approach it yet.

I'd like to see a number of improvements to the channeling AI before this was implemented, along with new construction tools, like the aforementioned ladders/ropes, and scaffolding.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:10 pm »

Query; How easy would it be to get a free AWESOMEROOM by making a room on a bottomless pit, thereby exploiting its raw surface area for value?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:57 pm »

Query; How easy would it be to get a free AWESOMEROOM by making a room on a bottomless pit, thereby exploiting its raw surface area for value?

A chasm, a giant cave spider and other hostile creatures should definitely boost the value. After all, who WOULDN'T want to live in a bottomless pit filled with exotic, dangerous creatures and, well, A BOTTOMLESS PIT.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:58:36 pm »

A chasm, a giant cave spider and other hostile creatures should definitely boost the value. After all, who WOULDN'T want to live in a bottomless pit filled with exotic, dangerous creatures and, well, A BOTTOMLESS PIT.
Acrophobes, for one. Also, arachnophobes, nakedmoledogophobes, antmanophobes, ratmanophobes, and phobophobes.

Nobles, on the other hand, would have so much FUN with this

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:46:56 am »

Quote from: Name Lips
Toady, any though of adding z-levels to rooms?
Quote from: Christes
Actually, more generally, how plausible is it to make all designation-type features work over z-levels?

The way rooms currently flow out, it would take a bit of a rewrite to do Z rooms -- for instance, if you wanted to go up a level to check out how your flow is going, it might focus on a different building, and the whole flow system is a bit uncomfortable in 3D.  There are just some little things.

It wouldn't be that hard with designations, since they use the rectangular format.  Some of the newer rectangular tools work over Z levels, but I haven't updated designations yet.

BlckKnght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »

RedWarior0's joking post suggests to me another way to encourage the digging of multi-level rooms: make some dwarves claustrophobic.  They would feel unhappy about spending time in rooms with only one z-level, especially if they were not very wide either.

Your grand dining room doesn't have a high vaulted ceiling?  Expect tantrums!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »

I think dwarf ethics should shun/banish the claustrophobic.  They are a shame to their family and their people.

Seriously, how does one inject aesthetic sense into DF?  If a room is 2x1 but 100 z-levels tall, it shouldn't be considered an awe-inspiring masterpiece so much as a cyclopean horror.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »

I think dwarf ethics should shun/banish the claustrophobic.  They are a shame to their family and their people.

Seriously, how does one inject aesthetic sense into DF?  If a room is 2x1 but 100 z-levels tall, it shouldn't be considered an awe-inspiring masterpiece so much as a cyclopean horror.
You could have the dwarves analyse rooms the same way people do "How safe would I be if something was out to get me?"
The great game of Warlocks!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 06:08:04 pm »

There's no accounting for taste.. Every oddity has its prestige value, anyway. Though rooms like that will naturally have other limits that make them less valuable: there's less floorspace, room for furniture; heating and ventilation problems, cleaning problems, vermin, etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06:29:54 pm »

.... The magma hatch in the ceiling...
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz
Pages: [1] 2 3 4