Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: multi-level rooms  (Read 13889 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: multi-level rooms
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 05:29:26 pm »

Lol, bad spelling and all?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:53 am »

Well, I'm going to make it menace with spikes of spelling and grammar before I trade it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 02:49:10 pm »

i like to think i at least get the grammar right most of the time. . .  :'-(
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 03:06:41 pm »

Technically you haven't made any mistakes I can be bothered to notice, although it is horrible to speak out loud.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 03:40:48 pm »

Ah, well yes. My writing style tends to come from more verbose, academic reading. It makes it rather dry and longwinded. I blame my mother. She was a classical english lit major. You may thank her ;-)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 03:49:15 pm »

Ah, whereas I hail from the lands of fiction :D

Anyway...

/derail

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:03 pm »

Anyway the point is, that even with a bonus from having vaulted ceilings, 90% of a room's value is from furniture.  My (complex, but reasonable) formula simply puts more weight on the room itself.
this is no longer true if you build quaters on ore and gem veins, and thouroughly engrave them.

I don't know what the "value" is of a (for example) native platinum wall engraved with an +engraving.+
The wiki has no information at all about engravings on anything other than gray rock (base value 10).

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »

You just multiply everything but the value of the rock. I've been studying this, and a 5x5 obsidian room starts off higher than a 5x5 chalk room which is better than a 5x5 sand room. When smoothed, the obsidian room is significantly higher in value, with chalk next and sand next, which leads me to believe that smoothing is not a flat addition.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 02:10:27 pm »

Well, if it works the way everything else does, you just change the base value to that of platinum, and multiply out from there....

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »

You just multiply everything but the value of the rock. I've been studying this, and a 5x5 obsidian room starts off higher than a 5x5 chalk room which is better than a 5x5 sand room. When smoothed, the obsidian room is significantly higher in value, with chalk next and sand next, which leads me to believe that smoothing is not a flat addition.

Well, yes and no.

Obsidian has a listed wall and floor value ("black stone"), as does Marble ("White Stone").  Native platinum does not.
See the wiki

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2016, 09:44:52 pm »

So, is there any hope that DF will get multi-level rooms? I'd like to build taverns and temple which span across multiple levels now. Implementing something like that would make a lot of sense.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2016, 08:10:47 am »

So, is there any hope that DF will get multi-level rooms? I'd like to build taverns and temple which span across multiple levels now. Implementing something like that would make a lot of sense.
You can do that right now.
Libraries, taverns, temples can span multiple levels, parts can be completely separate from each other if you like. A lot has changed in the 6 years since this thread was made.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 05:38:21 pm »

You can do that right now.
Libraries, taverns, temples can span multiple levels, parts can be completely separate from each other if you like. A lot has changed in the 6 years since this thread was made.
Not really. It I want a tavern where one floor is for dancing and performances, other for tables and chairs and another has some chests with the amount of mugs the tavern neeeds, it doesn't work. While rooms for rent can be entirely separate, mugs and dancefloor has to be on the same level. At least I haven't found any way to do it like I imagine.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]