Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [suggestion] interface : moving quicker on "v"  (Read 3900 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[suggestion] interface : moving quicker on "v"
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »

When you are on the "v" screen, or "q" or "t" or "d" ... you move the pointer 1 square by 1. It might be usefull sometimes to be able to move 5 by 5 or 10 by 10 if you press shift + the direction at the same time (or any other key).
What do you think ?

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [suggestion] interface : moving quicker on "v"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »

Just cancel out to regular view mode if you want to move faster *shrug*. No reason to add another mode, it wouldn't really make things easier, since you'd still have to press a button to switch back and forth.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »

Well, I've had the problem too, when I'm designating large portions of forest to be cut down; it would be nice to have an option to speed the cursor up

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 05:42:00 pm »

There's plenty of times when I want to select some building, but it's quite a few squares away from where the cursor starts, and moving it one step in normal view puts me a similar distnace away on the other side. I'd find this quite a useful feature myself.
EDIT: And for things where you _can't_, like designating large ares ot be deforested or the like.

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: Zereth ]

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »

No, I agree completely with the 1st post, I feel like I spend WAY too much time moving the cursor sloooowly square by square to [d]esignate things, especially the damn trees on sparser maps.  It's even worse now with all key repeats slowed to fix the over-sensitivity of the initial repeat, now it feels like it really crawls.  :(  Something like Shift-arrow to move 5 or 10 at a time would help a lot with this.

While trying to think of solutions to this, other possiblities were:
* R key - expand the highlighted area outwardly  from the + point as a radius.  (This would cut average keypresses almost in half for large areas)
* S key - highlight the whole visible screen.
* Make separate parameters for KEY_FIRST_HOLD_MS and KEY_HOLD_MS

Snap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:52:00 pm »

How about:

Dir = 1 space
Shift+dir = 5 (or 10?) spaces
Ctrl+dir = 1 screen

Pretty simple and would work on ALL the views including the main view. It would have to preserve highlight where applicable.

P.S. pageup + pagedown in lists would be helpfull!

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: Snap ]

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

/ and * work as pageup and pagedown in lists.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »

Personally, I think a better v system would be buttons to cycle through your units in order (of arrival?  Profession, maybe?) rather than moving around to pick them.  Ditto for q, it'd be great to cycle through all my workshops and see what's queued at each one.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by UncleSporky:
<STRONG>Personally, I think a better v system would be buttons to cycle through your units in order (of arrival?  Profession, maybe?) rather than moving around to pick them.  Ditto for q, it'd be great to cycle through all my workshops and see what's queued at each one.</STRONG>

I'd rather have that in a seperate function, because I don't want to have to cycle through all 50 of my beds, 120 doors, and zillions of tiny stockpile expansions to find the one thing I want to deal with.

Being able to cycle through various things would be nice, though, for the overview.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 07:41:00 pm »

Well of course there'd be an option to only cycle through workshops etc.   ;)

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 07:54:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Well of course there'd be an option to only cycle through workshops etc.     ;)</STRONG>

Yes, but I'd still prefer the option to just pick one specific workshop off the main screen rather than trying to scroll trhough all 30+ workshops. EDIT: Not that I would object to having the option to do so, quite the opposite, I just want it to be an option, as opposed to replacing the existing system.

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: Zereth ]

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 02:01:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Personally, I think a better v system would be buttons to cycle through your units in order (of arrival?  Profession, maybe?) rather than moving around to pick them.  Ditto for q, it'd be great to cycle through all my workshops and see what's queued at each one.</STRONG>

Well, here is an other suggestion post I made, but probably got bumped down the page too quickly. The idea is to allow to cycle throught dwarfs, and if you want to go quicker, from one squad to the other :
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000443