Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now that I think about it...  (Read 1365 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Now that I think about it...
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:54:30 am »

Dwarves are probably advanced enough to create steam powered pistols / rifles.

However, given the choice between a hand-held device that shoots metal, and a giant pressurized-magma cannon, what would you choose?

Magma cannon > rifle

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Now that I think about it...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:19 am »

Dwarf technology is all over the place; they're capable of complete annihilation on an atomic level (or alternitively, interdimensional travel) as well as perpetual motion machines and machinegun crossbows, yet at the same time a simple wheelbarrow is apparantly beyond their capabilities.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:01 am »

Dwarves of the technocracy use Flamethrowers.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:12:25 am »

Now that I think of it...

All dwarves get buried naked.

I'll take the magma cannon, thank you.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:14:41 am »

Naked as the day they were born. If you think about it, it's a cool ritual burial custom.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:47 am »

Naked as the day they were born. If you think about it, it's a cool ritual burial custom.
Speaking of... Babies don't have clothing when they are born (this is okay) but they never get put into clothing by their mother... And when they grow up to kids they instantly get clothing?! I have always thought that was really weird.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:21:47 pm »

I could've swore they had to pick up their clothing.  Also, I think that the problem isn't that they don't have the capabilities, just they don't have knowledge of the physics involved with pressure and gases, so they don't mess with them.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:37:33 pm »

Dwarf technology is all over the place; they're capable of complete annihilation on an atomic level (or alternitively, interdimensional travel) as well as perpetual motion machines and machinegun crossbows, yet at the same time a simple wheelbarrow is apparantly beyond their capabilities.
Atomic, you say?

Well, my construction/mining parties have come across some pitchblende inside one of the mountain peaks. I believe I have a self-destruct mechanism set for my good old-fashioned steam-powered airship. And with a little bit of tinkering, I could fashion a gearbox and driveshaft to setup an auto-ballista on the sides of the ship, along with a flamethrower at the nose.

If you want the very definition of the dwarven technology level, seek the Bloodfist. But, by the time you see it, you're already dead.

Dwarves are probably advanced enough to create steam powered pistols / rifles.
My response: Pitchblende... refined. And auto-ballistae.

You can sorta say that this guy is part of the construction/engineering team.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:42:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42:26 pm »

I could've swore they had to pick up their clothing.  Also, I think that the problem isn't that they don't have the capabilities, just they don't have knowledge of the physics involved with pressure and gases, so they don't mess with them.
Gases dont exist.

Dwarves are magmapunk!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.