Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question: magma, natural walls and map edges  (Read 4193 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: magma, natural walls and map edges
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 07:47:03 pm »

I prefer limiting the possible spawn points at the edge of the map to a small area.

Then I park my military in front of this spawn zone.

GLORIOUS BATTLE!!   :D

Also, this way I can play without any meeting zones at all. My dorfs will meander about the entire fortress in a realistic manner, yet will still be safe with the military standing at the gates.

And, +fave please.  ;D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 05:52:31 am »

It just occured to me that while one cannot build bridges on top of other bridges, one can build floors all the way to the edge of the map, so one could build some wall-bridges, then build up a level, put floors down above those wall-bridges, and then put a second layer of wall-bridges up on the floors, and so on all the way to the roof of the world.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »

Yeah that... that would of been easier.

Oh well. Too late now.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 01:18:36 pm »

Guys, just turn off temperature.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 02:36:49 pm »

Not what we are talking about here dude.  You CAN'T build near the edge. Bridges can be built, but walls cannot.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 04:07:49 pm »

Not what we are talking about here dude.  You CAN'T build near the edge. Bridges can be built, but walls cannot.

I'm seeing a ton of posts about possible magma deaths, and magma safe items.

If they turned off temperature, they can just use a wood or rock bridge as a blocking tool and then turn temp back on after the magma is solidified.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »

Yeah, I already turned off invaders for a while to get it done, so if I wanted to I could turn off temperature for safety.

But I've come to the conclusion that it's far easier (in scaffolding terms) just to build a five-wide obsidian wall at the edge, using normal walls and stairs and so on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 10:32:59 am »

I'm seeing a ton of posts about possible magma deaths, and magma safe items.

If they turned off temperature, they can just use a wood or rock bridge as a blocking tool and then turn temp back on after the magma is solidified.

Temperature doesn't matter. If you construct the bridge properly, you can use an ice bridge to hold back magma. Then once its retracted simply deconstruct the lever and treat the bridge like a wall.

Also, I do just use normal stone walls for the perimeter of my fort. Its easier to do than trying to pour obsidian walls at the outside. Internal stuff is poured obsidian so it can be engraved, but not the castle walls. Thats just ordinary stone blocks.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 10:33:56 am »

Yeah, I already turned off invaders for a while to get it done, so if I wanted to I could turn off temperature for safety.

But I've come to the conclusion that it's far easier (in scaffolding terms) just to build a five-wide obsidian wall at the edge, using normal walls and stairs and so on.

This also works, but things can still spawn anywhere around the edge of the map. Doing the magma thing means they cannot spawn here at all, so you can limit the spawn points to your shooting gallery.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:50 pm »

I know temperature doesn't matter to properly constructed bridges, I was saying that turning off temperature would still prevent magma deaths, and that in general it's easier to build walls on top of walls than bridges on top of floors connected to walls on top of bridges [...]

Also, it isn't a problem of things spawning anywhere around the edges. It's trying to encapsulate the entire map in rock walls, floor to ceiling. As a megaproject.
Obviously I can't make the absolute top z-level rock wall, but I can close off the ceiling, so merchants should only spawn on my three-wide entry point, and anything that doesn't spawn there will spawn harmlessly on my roof and wander around until they get bored.
Pages: 1 [2]