Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 13340 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Succession
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 03:36:05 am »

Alright, my term is done... Thought I would have taken a lot less losses, but no matter...

Heres the File, You may need WinRAR to open it, it's got a free demo period so just download it...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1334

Best of luck who ever's Next

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:20:53 am by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 04:17:08 am »

Not counting myself a noob anymore I was curious about how the fortress looked like, personally I hate Aquiffers...  ;D
Just in case the other players try the savegame, it doesnt work and wonder why.

The first message I got in a regular vanilla game was about the cat_mouth tag (however this is a standard fix after every unmodded reinstall )
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Cat_cancels_Store_Item_in_Stockpile:_Too_injured

After that I got a second error message, btw are you using mayday's graphic pack? Not a bad thing, quite a good thing actually, but it does cause the savegame to demand for a reaction_all_economic.txt before proceding.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If spoilers content is placed in Notepad and saved as reaction_all_economic.txt inside the raw/objects/ folder all should work.

Offcourse if all the players use maydays graphic pack these 2 issues wont even bother you.  :)

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 06:10:49 am »

I'd like to join, although i have already signed up for another succession game... I think i can say i'm a noob... I have only made one fortress so far, which i abandoned when it reached +80 dwarves(damn tantrums).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 06:34:34 am »

Awww, no quirky journal style narration? :(

Or screenshots?  :(

Ah, well.
6th of Felsite 201
Tragedy struck today, one of the miners has foolishly dug into the side of the Magma Pipe, He's ran around on fire for a few seconds before succumbing to his wounds. He will be remebered in our minds before his death and as he was during his final moments... On fire...

Couldn't help but laugh at that mental image.

"Brothers and sisters, Urist McMiner was a great Dwarf and a personal friend. Let us remember him as he lived, and not as how he died. Although, honestly, setting yourself on fire with the fiery blood of the mountain is a bit more memorable than breaking rocks with a pick."
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 06:37:42 am »

Happy you liked it, I'm a horrible story teller so i didn't try to tell it in a story like manner...

Also, i have no idea how to take screenshots, otherwise i would have put some in.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 07:08:47 am »

Happy you liked it, I'm a horrible story teller so i didn't try to tell it in a story like manner...

Also, i have no idea how to take screenshots, otherwise i would have put some in.

Don't worry about it, it was still enjoyable to read about. Fire always is.  ;D

You can use print screen to take screenshots then paste them in MSpaint.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 08:38:39 am »

Jseah's up woot.  This should go fairily well. Only two deaths in the first year ^^  Also: Yea that is a pretty good name :P Do we have an anvil? I'll prolly load up your save just to check it out (familiarize myself with the terran). 

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

Took a look.  Must say you've got us off to a good start. 

My init settings:
[TEMPERATURE:YES]
[WEATHER:YES]
[ECONOMY:YES]
[INVADERS:YES]
[CAVEINS:YES]
[ARTIFACTS:YES]
[ZERO_RENT:NO]

[POPULATION_CAP:200]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

Will be writing the updates as I go.  Will post each season.  Probably be done in ~24 hours. 

Vanilla DF just died while loading.  I used Mayday Graphics and it works.  So... yeah. 

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 09:46:04 am »

Man I just checked out the game we have so far... This map is truely harsh with its limited space.  And allright cool look forward to reading your logs :P

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:59 am »

Smaller embark locations are needful to keep the fps high, especially in succsession games.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 11:05:49 am »

If that was in responce to my other comment I realize that.   But it looks like we're going to have to work with alot of above ground structures... Maybe we can force an extreamly large tower atop the mine.   

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 11:10:12 am »

The Journal of Jon

1st Granite, 202
I heard some tales in the tavern of the new place and decided to go there to see for myself.  Sitting in this cramped city isn't doing me any good. 

The dwarves laugh at my strange name and say I must have interesting parents.  I suppose so, but that I'm not bothered by it. 

Anyway, I arrive in the new place to find that they are hunting for a manager to replace the one who just left!  I try to volunteer to be a mason or architect but no... they say I can only join if I do the managing for a year.  Sigh, I just hope they'll listen to me after they hear my name. 

2nd Granite
I must say, this place is quite well done.  At least after just a year. 

A few problems I notice.  We have less booze than people.  Luckily, we have the plump helmets to brew, so that won't be a problem for now although I've ordered another plot of land in the alcove above it to be tilled. 

They seem to listen.  I'm saved from being a laughingstock.  For now at least. 

Furthermore, it appears that our only defense is two crossbow dwarves without ammunition and two doors.  However much the militia tell me they're elite, this worries me.  I begin drawing up plans for a wall around the main complex. 

I'll have to keep an eye on the thing the dwarves call an ant colony.  Perhaps it'll be best if we don't disturb them. 

6th Granite
Something caught my eye.  Apparently, the dwarves were told to stockpile wood next to the farm.  I've no idea why but I'll put a temporary one next to the carpenter's shop. 

I've also ordered more doors.  Drafted the smiths to masonry to make up for it. 

13th Granite
The fire imp corpses placed in the refuse room by my predecessor are rotting.  I must remember to place doors at the room.  I remember a novel diagonal design that trapped the smell in the room.  I hope it works. 

16th Granite
Our drink situation has reversed.  We have more than 20 units.  But this has highlighted the need for good records, so I'll see to it. 

On the other hand, I seem to have eaten a strange mushroom lately, my vision seems to be blurring up.  (Partial Print making screen flash.  Going to turn it off)

12th Slate
I've recovered from my poisoning with a mind to inquire about the mushroom farm's contamination procedures.  Politely of course. 

In my absence, it seems the dwarves have continued their work steadily.  The militia informed me that they had to mobilize against some complaints of a magma man climbing out of the lava chute.  One of them killed it apparently, but the corpse can't be found for whatever reason. 
Perhaps they can be entrusted our defense but I cannot shake my worry about the situation and the wall project will continue. 

27th Slate
All quiet here.  Too quiet. 

It appears that we do not have contact with the elves.  Unlike my hometown which conducted regular trade.  I was looking forward to having some new booze and plants. 

3rd Felsite
Immigrants!  19 of them!  2 are children and with 3 animals!

This is most welcome.  I have ordered the extra fallow land to be used to plant Sweet Pods.  More beds are required.  Axe to the trees!

20th Felsite
The bridge in the wall to allow access to the outside is complete and the mechanic is right now rigging a mechanism to raise and lower the bridge. 

I hope this project can be completed before the human caravan comes.  If they're coming that is.  I heard goblins like to take advantage and attack then. 

1st Hematite
It is now summer. 

Progress on the wall is going well with our massive increased construction and hauling power.  I have installed doors as best as I could.  The 3 wide hallway is giving me some trouble. 

No one laughed at my name.  At least not to my face.  I realize how much it bothered me in my hometown after this, it's a major relief to not continually worry about it. 
I am growing used to leadership and perhaps I shall take up a term of office again in a later year but for now I lay my pen to rest and take a well earned break to drink. 

Projects:
Encircling wall - 50% complete.  ETC: End Summer
Paved Path with wagon restrictors - 0% (planned).  ETC: End Autumn

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 12:19:52 pm »

9th Hematite
A weaver got possessed!  We don't have a loom.  Oh no...

28th Hematite
He actually wanted a clothier's shop. 

But he's asking for bones.  And there's bones all over.  I think he needs a specific type of bone. 

The horse and the mule have been slaughtered.  He doesn't take them.  I have a very bad feeling and order a door installed in front of the clothier's shop. 

In better news, the last section of the wall is now under construction. 

10th Malachite
Wall is complete far ahead of schedule!  I underestimate our hauling power.  I think the wagon road can now be laid.  Time to shuffle jobs, again. 

That said, the weaver needs cloth as well.  I don't think we're going to make it. 

18th Malachite
The road for the wagons is going well.  I am ever amazed at the way dwarves can hammer stone blocks into a road without moving over the road itself but cannot pick up a piece of mushroom unless it's on the same square. 

11th Galena
Oh my!  I was too caught up with my administration to remember to write.  Never mind, I shall record what I can remember. 

The thing that caused me to recall this is Vucar Logemkezat has gone insane.  Who's he?  Journal... I thought I told you, you must be getting senile.  He's the weaver who got possessed. 
Amazingly, he seems to have come along with 2 children.  But no wife.  Marital issues I'm guessing, which just makes his plight all the more pitiable. 

I hope his children don't follow suit. 

It appears that my smell-containment measures appear to have worked.  I'll have to remember to write a recommendation to the capital about it. 

In other matters, I greatly underestimated the manpower needed to build the wagon road, for it is already complete.  Our workforce is too great.  I'll have to find something for them to do. 

Oh, didn't I mention?  We got another 8 migrants.  And a baby girl was born.  We are thriving I must say, and I recommend that the housing block be expanded by the person in the next term of office.  If we are growing at this pace, we'll soon outstrip our current carrying capacity. 

1st Limestone
For the lack of something better to do, I've started to add fortifications around the top of the wall.  Would be good if we could use the wall for something other than a barrier. 

Other than that, it's been quiet.  No human merchants either... I wonder why. 

I started mining out another corridor out from the farm.  Could do with more space to expand from. 

My mind's been drifting lately, perhaps I'll take a nap before facing the second half of the year. 

#########################################################################

Need to sleep.  Will continue tomorrow. (12 hours time?)

I've tagged the Main Drawbridge Lever and the Main Drawbridge using (N)otes. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:29:03 pm by jseah »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »

Yay levers... :)  Sounds like everything progressing smothly so far.  Lets hope it continues o.o

jojojoey70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 06:42:34 pm »

Hey, i'm a total loser at this game (started yesterday and died thrice) and thought that this would be a fun idea. I'm just not real sure one the rules (if any) or preferences on how to post. So if you could get back to me on that it would be great. ;D

-Joe

P.s. I have no life besides my school so... expect updates often
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17