How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 268558 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 11:45:37 am »

When I set G_FPS_CAP to 10 instead of 20, the freezing worldgen screen problem suddenly went away. The only other problem I'm experiencing is that at 20-30 fps controls become extremely unsmooth and laggy. So I'm forced to always pause the game before trying to scroll about.

EDIT: Running the game in windowed mode seemed to reduce the lag, but it's still annoying.
Yes, I can see how that would happen.

The bug is fixed, anyhow. I suggest you try the linux version; d14 HEAD actually has the fix, while you might have to wait quite a while for d15 to get it on windows.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2009, 01:45:56 pm »

Is the update now only fixed for Linux?
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2009, 02:19:01 pm »

Yes. The graphics code is only separated out on Linux, so there's no way for me to release an update for the other two platforms.

Let's just call it a geek bonus. :P

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 02:28:48 pm »

Damn, this makes me want to abandon Windows and join the geeks. Lucky, you guys got no viruses and you get easy updates...
Maybe I should put it on...
Aargh, Armok help me!!!
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »

Alright, the zoom controls beyond the mousewheel are extremely aggravating and confusing. Can anyone help me out?

I'm using a 9x9 tileset and I can't do a manual zoom to a setting that will sync properly; I set TEXTURE_PARAM: NEAREST so I dont' get that irksome fluffy look but the tiles won't jive correctly at a closer setting. Also, what are the commands to have two settings?

Edit: I think I've figured out the problem; I can't get the window itself to be correctly sized when I alter it freehand.

I'd like to make a suggestion, then: Add a bit of code to make the window size snap to a number divisible by the tileset's size, or use blackspace as a buffer to adjust the play field accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:46:14 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 02:40:19 pm »

Yes. The graphics code is only separated out on Linux, so there's no way for me to release an update for the other two platforms.

Let's just call it a geek bonus. :P
You're making me choose between DF and dawn of war
sad panda.

Well technically toadyone is doing that.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »

This is with the d40d14-head version under Ubuntu

Resizing the window doesn't seem to be changing the number of cells on the x axis, resulting in some rather squashed looking dwarves.

The Y axis appears to be behaving just fine.  Mind you, I'd like to see it respect the BLACK_SPACE init value so my bearded psychopaths are square no matter the dimensions of the window, but that is hardly critical.

Also noticed two things when zooming in and out that I suspect are related.

How far I can zoom in for zoom mode 1 changes as I zoom in and out.
Zooming one step in and out does not result in the same level of zoom. 

My guess is that you have a rounding error someplace.  So when you zoom in and out you are not getting the same integer values. 
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:01 pm »

I should probably store the number of zoom steps requested, rather than the floating-point factor calculated from that.

As for tiles looking bad when using NEAREST filtering? Well. Yes, they would; with that filtering, they'd pretty much only look good when not zooming at all. You can turn zoom back off by pressing F12, by the way.

Or did I misunderstand anything?

And yes, the window will refuse to reduce the number of X cells below 80, since that's the minimum DF can live with. I've only got two options there; squash them, or add black space on the sides. Which would you prefer?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 03:13:01 pm »

Two minor issues: 

- One, holding down shift to make the cursor move faster doesn't work on the number pad when number lock is on.  Not exactly a big deal but you were able to do so as recently as d11.

- Two, the keyboard shortcuts still aren't totally working.  In particular, I've used "shift +" and "shift -" forever, but even though it looks like you can set in the binding menu using "Add Scan Key," it doesn't actually work.

Otherwise I'm digging this zooming and I can't wait to try out some macros, good job.

edit: this is on windows vista

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2009, 03:37:07 pm »

Ah right the 80 width limit, forgot about that.   (as well as the vertical limit, whee really short dwarves!)

Personally, I'd like the aspect ratio of the tile set to be retained, so padding with black space would be my preferred solution. 

I think the ideal solution though would be to do the squashing if BLACK_SPACE is off and the padding if it is on as that would be consistent with how BLACK_SPACE affects things currently.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2009, 04:38:55 pm »

I've got some good news and some Fun news.

First off, let me say I love the potential of the macro system.  8)
I made a macro that lets me designate my entire housing district at a single push without having to use a third party app.

Secondly, I crashed it while adding a new command to a macro.  Below is the memory and stack dump.  It looks like it died inside a vector object while inserting a new command into the vector for the macro.   So far I haven't managed to duplicate it.  Does not initially appear to be related to either the number of macros or the number of commands in a macro.

Also, if they are not already in your plans there are three features that I would very much love to see. 

The ability to name the macro.
The ability to Delete(!) a macro.
The ability to alter the position of commands in the macro. 
(Had to delete half a macro because I missed a command.)

Spoiler: Core Dump (click to show/hide)

Edit: Crashed it again, same place.  Have not noticed a pattern yet but it seems to happen only after I've been mucking with the macro system for a bit. 

Edit #2: Just noticed that the scan keys I had saved for my macros did not cleanly load.  I was using shift+ctrl+#   Where # was 1-4 for the four macros I had saved.  The value showing for the key binding on load for all four macro's is Ctrl+None

Edit #3:Oooh Just looked at how the macro's were saved... To heck with editing them in the game!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:35:52 pm by The_Fool76 »

HandOfCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2009, 08:26:05 pm »

I'm having refresh issues in game.  I can pause and unpause to force a refresh, and the longer I wait between these manual refreshes the more stuff my dwarves do, so I know the game is in fact running in the background without refreshing.  Could this all be related?  (note: I tested in vanilla 40d and the game runs, albeit slowly as I have a brutal pathing bottle neck going on that's really making the game chug)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:01 pm »

I've encountered a problem... I seem to not be able to see the world gen itself. The screen locks but behind the sceens it countinues to gen the world until finished.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:32:43 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:39 pm »

A few minor things in OSX:

*Backspace is bound to "backspace", rather than "delete", which is what that key is really called on OSX, apparently (or so it called it when I rebound it).
*Resizing the window appears to move it to the monitor that has my menu bar.

I don't appear to be having the problem with screen refreshes during woldgen- it displays just fine. (edit: oh but reinhammers is definitely doing it)

This is with the stock init, no changes whatsoever.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:34:01 pm by brainfire »
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2009, 09:24:09 pm »

Any time Dwarf Fortress should update it's visual refresh such as with site finder I am not seeing any change unless I re-size or minimize the window? Like the window will appear to have locked up right before getting into the part where the ages tick by 1, 2, 3... 300 in worldgen. And if I F11 I'll see a snapshot of where I'm up to but I lose the dynamic frame-by-frame of worldgen and site-finder.

I wasn't having this problem with prior versions and it is a deal-breaking issue for me. I will be reverting back to v13.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:41:17 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 64