How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 266557 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:30 pm »

As you may be aware, Dwarf Fortress' approach to OpenGL leaves something to be desired. To the point of my writing terrible hacks like DF Accelerator, even..

At any rate, Toady has decided to do something about that, and did it by releasing the relevant source code in the form of Battle Champs for others to fix.

This has been done: The code has been converted to use SDL by Bernard Helyer, the input code was rewritten by Veroule, and the OpenGL code has been rewritten by yours truly. It is almost complete. However, for Toady to accept the code into the next version of DF, your assistance is needed: It must be tested. This takes many dwarves.

Download links
Windows: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d16_win.zip
Linux: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d16_linux.tar.bz2
OS X: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d16_osx.tar.bz2
For linux users, the following link contains a tarball with the newest fixes, which will be officially released in 40d17. It must be unpacked on top of the 40d16 tarball.
Linux 40d16 HEAD: http://brage.info/~svein/df-40d16-head.tar.bz2

For users on Linux and OS X, run the df script, don't run the dwarfort.exe executable directly.

Please download it, run it, and test with all the different tilesets and grid sizes your hearts desire. Graphics sets, too.

New features in 40d16 (vs. 40d)
- Translucent tilesets are supported, using PNG.
- The DF window can be resized on the fly.
- The grid size is autogenerated on startup; such init.txt settings are ignored.
- Current desktop size is used for fullscreen size if fullscreen resolution is set to 0x0.
- The DF window can be zoomed on the fly using the mouse wheel. There are two modes, it defaults to mode 1. Pressing mouse wheel switches modes. Pressing F12 resets mode 1, not 2. In mode 1, the zoom from mode 2 is not visible. (And yes, you can use both at once)
- The keyboard input system has been totally rewritten:
* You can bind multiple keys to one command
* You can create keyboard macros
* Input bindings are divided into sections
- Lots of bugfixes and performance improvements.
Upcoming features in 40d16 or 40d15 HEAD

Bug-tracker
There should be a list of known bugs at http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/issues. Feel free to add yours there when you report it.

Tips and tricks
- Make sure you test all the combinations for buffers/partial printing that Toady suggests in init.txt.
- If you're having problems on windows, if possible, try running it on linux; this will provide information on whether it's hardware-dependent or software.

Source code
For the perennially curious, or programmers, the source code (that is still under active development) can be found at git://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-.git. It uses the git version-control system, and can also be seen in a browser at http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/tree/master.

Compiling this code gives a functional DF, but it can only be compiled on Linux.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:44:53 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: 40d14 thread-in-waiting. Yes, links are broken.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:52:37 pm »

Okay, 40d14 is up now and the top 3 links up there work to download it.

I see I forgot to do the libtiff thing for linux.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »

New features in 40d14 (vs. 40d)

- The grid size is autogenerated on startup; such init.txt settings are ignored.
- Current desktop size is used for fullscreen size if fullscreen resolution is set to 0x0.
- The DF window can be zoomed on the fly using the mouse wheel. There are two modes, it defaults to mode 1. Pressing mouse wheel switches modes. Pressing F12 resets mode 1, not 2. In mode 1, the zoom from mode 2 is not visible. (And yes, you can use both at once)
HOLY CRAP  :o THIS IS AWESOME

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:43:25 pm »

New features in 40d14 (vs. 40d)

HOLY CRAP  :o THIS IS AWESOME
I have fixed the quote to reflect the proper things to worry about.

I actually need to look into this and see how it works. Downloading.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 04:48:46 pm »

weren't all those features in 13? A little over excited maybe?

ALSO. for some reason WorldGen isn't repainting while it's going through the ages. I have to hit enter to pause it to see how things currently are.

windowed mode
XP pro SP3 x86.

Also. It seems the title screen isn't centered any more.
[GRID:80:40]
Works in d13  :-[
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:56:36 pm by Qjet »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »

When genning a world I cannot see anything that happens on the bottom half of the screen, where the "Age" of Hist Figs and such happens. It's just black. It's WORKING, as if I abort it I can suddenly see the screen, but I have to wait for it to finish before anything happens.

Also, perhaps most frustrating of all, the alt tab bug is still present. I thought this was fixed in 12 or 13?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:52:35 pm »

Qjet: Yes, but now it's actually playable. :P

And that's.. hm, how come it happens for some people and not me? It's very odd, that's for sure.

Does the window also fail to update if you set FPS to something crazy (1000, say) in fortress mode, while it's unpaused?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 04:58:12 pm »

Indeed, there is a large chance of the game choking during world-gen here I didn't notice in the developmental version. Seems to do this after forming lakes happens. The FPS stays around 110 for me. Then it saves the historical figures and such and the FPS seems to randomize four digits.

Seems the site search also chokes the screen refresh.

Edit: Oh yes, Visualize is broken. Lets see what else is.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:00:13 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 05:02:31 pm »

ALSO. for some reason WorldGen isn't repainting while it's going through the ages. I have to hit enter to pause it to see how things currently are.

Getting the same thing. Windowed mode with PRINT_MODE:STANDARD.

Windowed mode updates fine in Fortress Mode with the FPS set to something crazy (I used 100,000 just now I think), everything is moving around. For whatever reason the World Generation doesn't want to update once it starts generating all the sites and history.

When loading up the 200+ dwarf fortress Reinhammers, which I usually load up to test FPS, it doesn't update either unless you pause the game; don't know if this is because it is a save game from an older version or what, but it worked on other 'd' versions.

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 05:03:25 pm »

visualize was broken in 13 as well  ;)

Find location also doesn't update.

fortress seems to work as expected though. HURRAY NO MORE MESSED UP HOTKEYS!

edit: tried reinhammers and yah, it stops drawing for me on that fortress. That sweet, sweet fortress.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:14:28 pm by Qjet »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 05:06:27 pm »

Getting the same thing. Windowed mode with PRINT_MODE:STANDARD.

Windowed mode updates fine in Fortress Mode with the FPS set to something crazy (I used 100,000 just now I think), everything is moving around. For whatever reason the World Generation doesn't want to update once it starts generating all the sites and history.

When loading up the 200+ dwarf fortress Reinhammers, which I usually load up to test FPS, it doesn't update either unless you pause the game; don't know if this is because it is a save game from an older version or what, but it worked on other 'd' versions.
No, it has to be some timer issues. I thought I'd solved those, I really did.. I wonder what's wrong now.

Well, thanks for Reinhammers. It should prove useful in diagnosing this.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »

Had to make some changes to partial print because it kept flickering on the menus; did it in worldgen as well but functionally, it's fine so far.
Testing some of the other settings now... there doesn't seem to be a tile-size parameter in the init any more, is this deliberate?

Edit: Switched to standard buffer and everything seems to be fixed. Performance is marginally better, but it'd be even faster if partial print was working correctly. I'll see if I can get it to work...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:22:15 pm by 3 »

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »

there doesn't seem to be a tile-size parameter in the init any more, is this deliberate?
Maybe it finally occurred to someone that it was an unnecessary question to ask?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »

I like my windowed tiles square.
Pff, I'll just deal with it.

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 05:29:07 pm »

wut? So use a tileset with square tiles. the game doesn't need you to specify tile size. It can easily be worked out by the image size of the tileset.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:33:33 pm by Qjet »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64