How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270391 times)

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 09:39:47 pm »

This is gorgeous.  This is the first time I've been able to run a tileset under linux..  It slows down my computer, if you can call it a computer, but it works!
Well I've finally found a signature

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 09:47:53 pm »

Will you be able to fix the bug under v15 or is it only possible to fix under Linux? Your last post left me confused.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »

Secondly, I crashed it while adding a new command to a macro.  Below is the memory and stack dump.  It looks like it died inside a vector object while inserting a new command into the vector for the macro.   So far I haven't managed to duplicate it.  Does not initially appear to be related to either the number of macros or the number of commands in a macro.

Edit: Crashed it again, same place.  Have not noticed a pattern yet but it seems to happen only after I've been mucking with the macro system for a bit. 
Sadly I can't tell anything from that crash dump.  I do have one guess and will see if I can find anyway to make it crash.

Also, if they are not already in your plans there are three features that I would very much love to see. 

The ability to name the macro.
The ability to Delete(!) a macro.
The ability to alter the position of commands in the macro. 
(Had to delete half a macro because I missed a command.)
They are all in the plans.  Currently you can do all 3 by editting the interface.txt.  The naming is an optional field on both macros and key bindings.  For example [BIND:SELECT:Do the highlighted thing]

Also I would suggest that if you have large complex macros you take advantage of macros being able to run macros, and split the large macro apart.

Edit #2: Just noticed that the scan keys I had saved for my macros did not cleanly load.  I was using shift+ctrl+#   Where # was 1-4 for the four macros I had saved.  The value showing for the key binding on load for all four macro's is Ctrl+None
I will look into this.

Two minor issues: 

- One, holding down shift to make the cursor move faster doesn't work on the number pad when number lock is on.  Not exactly a big deal but you were able to do so as recently as d11.
I can't change that for the default interface settings.  It is an OS level thing to convert the Shift+Numpad# sequences to a number character.  The default interface.txt binds the number characters to support laptops and other systems without a number pad.  If you remove the bindings that say '1', '2', '3', etc. Then the 'Numpad #' bindings will get full control in both Numlock states, and they will detect the usage of shift without OS interference.

- Two, the keyboard shortcuts still aren't totally working.  In particular, I've used "shift +" and "shift -" forever, but even though it looks like you can set in the binding menu using "Add Scan Key," it doesn't actually work.
I think you will have to be more specific about what you think is wrong.  I somewhat baffled as to your meaning.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:13 am »

When using the finder tool it freezes up graphically, but still continues searching. I found that it was continuing to search by pressing esc then returning to game to see that it had actually searched through 32/129.

I did not however get this on worldgen. Using XP.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:20:22 am by Shardok »

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29:22 am »

Also I would suggest that if you have large complex macros you take advantage of macros being able to run macros, and split the large macro apart.

Heh I'm already doing that quite a bit, I only lost a few lines and now I'm just editing the file straight.

Speaking of macro's calling other macros...
As a test, I had two macro's that did nothing but call each other, this led to Fun.  I had to manually kill the process before it ate all my memory.   Dunno if my CPU was just too busy to notice me hitting the macro escape key in DF or if that particular loop was too tightly wound (as in inside the check for the keypress).  Also might be a good idea to put in an init var that lets you cap the nesting depth for macro calls.  Odds are if the macro has gone past a few hundred levels of nesting, it is a runaway.

Ps. Thanks for the note about the names, made my macro's a lot easier to read when looking at them in DF. :)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 12:42:00 am »

I've just gotten d14 and imported a somewhat mature fortress. Everything runs great until I unpause it, the game doesn't move at all. Re-pausing it makes everything work fine again. I am running it under Vista.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:08 am »

Slackratchet: known bug, already (probably) fixed by Baughn but not released yet except on the linux version (this is only possible because the linux version uses an external library for display, which baughn has the source code to, while the windows one has the library statically linked into the executable file; only toady has the main executable file source code for windows and linux and mac, hence baughn can't make a fixed release without toady for windows or mac, and he can only fix display related problems on linux). wait for d15 release probably later today.

LN
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:17:59 am by Lord Nightmare »
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:42 am »

Baughn. I demand you learn assembly  :P

SoggyDog

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hope is not a strategy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:18 am »

In the grand scheme of things, this is rather inconsequential, but why are later versions (like 40d14) compiled without icons?

40d

40d14

[edit] Scratch that;  I think Lord Nightmare's response to Slackratchet clears it up for me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:37:27 am by SoggyDog »
                                   “Yes,” I said. “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”
                                              – Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (1926)

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 01:40:50 am »

The icon issue might be because SDL is now being used for display, mouse and keyboard stuff (this is the part that baughn has the source code of)

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2009, 05:26:54 am »

Will you be able to fix the bug under v15 or is it only possible to fix under Linux? Your last post left me confused.
It'll be fixed in d15, of course.

But if you're on Linux, you can get the fix now.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:34 am »

Seems to work fine for me on Vista.

I played about with resizing the window for 5 minutes. Wheeeeee~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2009, 07:23:22 am »

Any time Dwarf Fortress should update it's visual refresh such as with site finder I am not seeing any change unless I re-size or minimize the window? Like the window will appear to have locked up right before getting into the part where the ages tick by 1, 2, 3... 300 in worldgen. And if I F11 I'll see a snapshot of where I'm up to but I lose the dynamic frame-by-frame of worldgen and site-finder.

I wasn't having this problem with prior versions and it is a deal-breaking issue for me. I will be reverting back to v13.

If you're using PARTIAL in PRINT_MODE, set it to a higher number or change it back to STANDARD... might help.

Edit: Corrected terminology
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:25:08 am by 3 »

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:19 am »

Does DF work on Fedora Core, or should I get another Linux system? Which one is the best for DF?
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2009, 07:47:19 am »

wubi works great. it is Ubuntu and installs in windows. no need to have a separate disk/partition.

http://wubi-installer.org/

you still need to reboot tho. :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64