How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270273 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2009, 09:48:49 am »

I didn't use d13 because the defaults irritated me and things were horrible looking. I can put up with horrible looking if it will go faster, so is it possible to just hoik every file and .txt over from my current DF game to the d14 DF and have it run perfectly?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:10 am »

I didn't use d13 because the defaults irritated me and things were horrible looking. I can put up with horrible looking if it will go faster, so is it possible to just hoik every file and .txt over from my current DF game to the d14 DF and have it run perfectly?
No. 'Fun' things will result.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:11 am »

No. 'Fun' things will result.
Small example: There are some init options not present in older versions, and thus using an old init file for the newest release will result in the game not working. This is not a good idea.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:22 am »

Ok. If you fix this, send me a pm. I would like to run a faster DF, but I'm not trawling through defaults and inits to get what I want.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:17 am »

Ok. If you fix this, send me a pm. I would like to run a faster DF, but I'm not trawling through defaults and inits to get what I want.
It takes me 5 seconds to change the init to what I want from version to version...
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:27 am »

It takes me 5 seconds to change the init to what I want from version to version...
Some of us want to make some rather... major overhauls to the init file. Still, if one keeps one from the last version they can just copy and paste large segments over.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:13 am »

Some of us want to make some rather... major overhauls to the init file. Still, if one keeps one from the last version they can just copy and paste large segments over.
I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't but if you do that you should be able to change it to the new version without whining about it saying it will take a long time.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2009, 10:29:19 am »

Or you could get a copy of diff/windiff.

Chances are a patch would apply cleanly no matter the version; most of it, at least.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2009, 11:37:30 am »

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but escape is having problems.  Mainly in Adventure mode, after getting killed, it is HIGHLY unresponsive, bordering on completely broken.  Haven't tested in Dwarf mode yet.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2009, 11:50:38 am »

It's not my code,  but I'll take a look.. I'm morbidly curious.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »

Again with my save files being corrupted. Now when I open dwarf fort it can't even find the save files, these are save files from 40d14, I tried it on older versions and they couldn't find them either, despite having done just fine before, and no changes have been made to them that should of caused this. It found them the other day and loaded just fine, but now it won't even tell me that they're there... Windows XP sp3, etc.

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but escape is having problems.  Mainly in Adventure mode, after getting killed, it is HIGHLY unresponsive, bordering on completely broken.  Haven't tested in Dwarf mode yet.
so other people ARE getting this
hooorrraaay im not crazy.

hash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2009, 01:35:03 am »

I have a fail to start.  Message:

./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

System:

Kubuntu (hardy heron) Linux  2.6.24-24-generic x86_64
df_28_181_40d14_linux.tar.bz2 + df-40d14-head.tar.bz2

Attempted fix:
1. Update and install all the libSDL stuff I my package manager could get its grubby little hands on.
2. In the [df]/libs/ dir, symlink to  /usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0.
3. Cry, because I got a new error message:

./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So, I'm guessing somewhere where the library loading is done, you're doing so much sanity checking that "sanity" is restricted to 32bit? :)  (Or maybe there's a deeper and more complex/sinister reason that 32 bit libraries are expected?  I hope not...)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 02:09:28 am by hash »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:34 am »

DF is a 32-bit executable. It can't use 64-bit libraries; if there was a way that could have been possible, you could be sure I'd have jumped at it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2009, 07:27:34 am »

I believe Kubuntu still uses ia32-libs ,,,, look for it in Synaptic or "sudo apt-get install is32-libs"
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64