How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270356 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »

I dare say it wouldn't have happened on Linux, either.  8)

I guess you haven't used KDE 4, then.

*rimshot*
50 bucks says it was a page fault from DF eating all the memory.

too much water in worldgen seems like too much stone in fortress mode.

Matt2358

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2009, 11:56:36 pm »

So I just tried again in a more normal site and got the same thing. Anyone have any ideas? I guess I'll just have to get the last version again.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2009, 01:53:23 am »

Matt, did you perchance copy it over, or create a new directory for d14? I'd go ahead and try to create a new folder and run it through there on a fresh init file.

I've found that, for some reason, my silly Intel 965 chip for my GMA doesn't want to be updated. This has caused a bunch of headache. Somehow, it wants to believe that a 2-year old driver is more up to date than the driver released three weeks ago. This made my brother cry when he realized that WoW will no longer run on my computer (not my fault, not my concern.)

So, I'm running Dwarf Fortress 40d13 currently on my Dell Inspiron 1525 (contains: Intel Duo Core 2.16 GHz processor, 4 gigs RAM, GMA with Intel 965 Express chipset, running Windows Vista Home Premium sp2), Dwarf Fortress is set on run to a). disable Aero visual effects, b). run as administrator (it will not find "index" in the directories if I do not allow this.) This usually nets max fps on embark, with a proportional drop with each wave (hitting a pop of 80 will usually cause the game to run as molasses). My existing map is a bit more intense, having a chasm and a volcano, and a lot of steep hills and cliffs, and even on embark I had around 80 fps (right now, with 28 people, I'm seeing about 50 fps,  with a lot of seize ups when I tried to scroll if I didn't have it paused).

So, I upgraded to d14. I start a fresh install, copied the save files over, and restarted. Only on standard (as opposed to frame buffer, accum buffer, VBO, et al.) could I get it to run; VBO, since its addition, has caused the game to crash multiple times, and it has to fail me in that regard. Otherwise, I just end up with a blank canvas or the top bar of a window with the program title and nothing else. F11'ing it into full screen and back in lets me glimpse for just a moment what's displayed on the screen.

Yeah.

Seeing as my DirectX drivers are up to date, I can only imagine that I have to update the drivers for the GMA, which it seems reticent to allow.

I'd love to see this current map support a greater population, but with all those hoary marmots, fire imps, cave swallowmen, and ratmen, I doubt that's going to be a possibility. But, I'll live. Hopefully.

Again, keep up the good work--even if d14 doesn't benefit me, if it benefits the majority of other players, then you guys are you doing the right thing. (Yes, this is an attempt to see how I can get d14 to run, but I'm not going to push it.)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2009, 04:35:07 am »

50 bucks says it was a page fault from DF eating all the memory.
That's not what "page fault" means, nor would anything relating to an out-of-memory condition cause corruption in itself.

No, it's an OS or driver bug.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2009, 04:37:25 am »

Neek: There's a good chance your troubles are due to the infamous screen-refresh bug, in which case it's already fixed.

Since d15 isn't out, though, you'll have to install linux if you want to test this theory. Alternately, you should reinstall windows; that will fix your driver version woes.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2009, 06:34:54 am »

<snip>

Still, awesome work! And... how do one use the macro command?

to get to the macros in game
<esc>
select key bindings
<shift>+<tab> or <tab> until you see the macro screen

edit: add missing step
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:01:57 pm by snooptodd »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2009, 10:07:45 am »

i instaled ubuntu using wubi(mentioned some pages before, in this thread), after some time marveling with my first free os i downloaded the linux version of 40d14, unpacked it and tried to run it using the "df" file and not the dwarfort.exe, it then told me it was an executable text file and asked me if i wanted to run it, i did. I pressed run and nothing happened. i double clicked the df again, and pressed run in terminal, still, no signal of dwarven life, or any kind of life at all. I then executed the same routine and when prompted if i wanted to run the script i said that no, i didn't, when in fact i did, but i knew already that it wouldn't be that easy, and instead i polittelly asked the computer to "display" the script to me, just for fun, i have absoluctelly no knowledge of scripties and thinghies...

it is amusing to watch the script, it is similar to ascii games, anyway, graphically, and the last line is very funny with the "Go, go, go! :)" and all, but i still want to try 40d14 with the extras for geeks

i fear that my problems relate more to ubuntu and my lack of experience with it than to any bug of df's 40d14th version, and aware of it i'm going to press "post" anyway, tough i apologise for any offtopicness

Ren Fraggle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2009, 10:30:38 am »

I just did a quick skim of this thread and found most of my issues with this release already addressed.  I mostly skipped over the rest of these OpenGL/SDL versions right to this one, so I don't know if this was in the earlier ones as well, but a problem I'm running into is trying to view a tile that has been engraved during that session is crashing the game.  It's not happening every time, some tiles will do it, others won't, but the ones that do are the same ones every time.  I don't know if I need to submit anything else for this, just let me know what you need.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2009, 11:13:51 am »

Could you upload a demonstrative savegame?

Ren Fraggle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2009, 12:05:36 pm »

I put it here .  I also noticed I'm getting the same issue with looking at a dwarf's thoughts and preferences.  Again, not every dwarf, but a few dwarfs always consistently crash when viewed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:17:33 pm by Ren Fraggle »

SoggyDog

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hope is not a strategy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:19 pm »

>> Reply #186

Also a Linux novice;
Same setup;  Same results.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:48:01 pm by SoggyDog »
                                   “Yes,” I said. “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”
                                              – Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (1926)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2009, 12:48:55 pm »

Run it from a terminal, and it'll tell you what libraries you're missing.

Probably you've got the 64-bit version of ubuntu, too, which complexifies this a fair bit. I don't use Ubuntu myself, but many others around here seem to; someone will hopefully pop up to help.

(Or check the ubuntu fora)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2009, 12:50:25 pm »

i managed to fix it

paste this sudo apt-get install ia32-libs on the terminal

Andy Korth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2009, 03:58:58 pm »

I'm finding what appears to be a yet-unreported input issue on 40d14, running on Mac OS X 10.5 with the standard us keyboard.

On the embark screen, when you are choosing items, I push N to add a new item and begin typing to narrow down the list. Unfortunately, the delete key does not delete the typed characters. Everything else seems to work there. Sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it.

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2009, 05:20:20 pm »

Hey guys, I have an issue with 40d13 and up. When I load the program with init.txt as-is, only the first column of the screen appears. Help?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 64