How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270230 times)

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #360 on: September 01, 2009, 10:23:36 pm »

I've never been able to make any changes to increase FPS, either nothing would happen or it would cause flickering or lower FPS.
What, exactly, am I supposed to modify in the init, and to what?
I'm running v40d14.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »

Oo kaaay, not sure how to start here, since I don't e'en ha'e this OS installed yet, but I'm trying out the linux d15 on ubuntu, just get
Code: [Select]
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryA little help?

edit:nm, figured out.
edit 2: The Keybindings option screen lacks a few important things: the categories don't always fit, and it doesn't say how to exit it. (Escape appears to work, but this does not work anywhere else in the game. Confusing.)
edit 3: IS there e'en a 40d linux 'ersion to compare to?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:37:16 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 02, 2009, 01:32:41 am »

I've never been able to make any changes to increase FPS, either nothing would happen or it would cause flickering or lower FPS.
What, exactly, am I supposed to modify in the init, and to what?
I'm running v40d14.

Depending on your computer you may not get a speed increase. I believe it mainly helps those whose computers which aren't uber-spec (or even demi-spec'ed in some cases).

However even without the speed increase you're still getting zooming, macros, and other goodies!
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:56 am »

Actual bug to report: Workshop profiles got cut f rom functioning somehow. There's an entry in interface.txt for them, which shows up properly in the keybindings menu...but at workshops, the binding does not appear and does nothing if attempted.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 02, 2009, 03:51:47 am »

I only recently returned to DF after a few months absence, having had my computer melt down. I love this game in all ways, as it sates a lot of my gaming needs at once.

Only tonight did I discover the development releases... Toady and all who have worked on this... I just want to tell you I'm amazed. I've not tested it very far yet, but *IMMEDIATELY* I went from 25 FPS on 40d, to 100+ FPS... a 4x increase. My dorfs are running around at breakneck speeds. I barely know what to DO! I'm half tempted to slow the game down as I'm not used to this pace.

I will continue to play and do the bug report thing... I used to think dorfs were slow and plodding... These buggers can MOVE!  This game went from a leasurely 'ho hum' pace, to.. wow!

Rion Wulfe

(Almost in tears over this, I swear. Kudos to the speedup alone!)
EDIT:

I just updated to 40d16 from 40d15, and raised max framerate higher. It's bubbling out around 150fps on my crappyish computer. Some amazing improvements here. I played for an hour or two with a map I brought in from 40d, and had zero issues or problems. The zoom feature is great, not sure what other issues I should be looking for. Everything seems to be running peachy, to me, but I'm not as 'deep' into the game as some might be. Still tweeking around with where I want the framerate to want to be so *I* am comfortable, heh.

I also put my own text tileset in (I use VGA9x16, because it reminds me of an old vidcard I used to have, which I loved its font, with the little bit inside of the 0. Heh.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:58:18 am by rdwulfe »
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 02, 2009, 04:32:30 am »

I confess bafflement...Workshop Profiles were not a'ailable on -

Oh, wait. Might be una'ailable when just a single dwarf sur'i'es.

Anyway, they're back. No apparent change. :-?
Tilesets

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 02, 2009, 05:47:46 am »

Dont know if already mentioned... and dont know if its still true.

In 40d14 (fortress mode) I set the movement cursor for z levels to / and *. Like in ye olde mayday sets.

From then on I was kinda unable to set reserved barrels. Also I didnt find the entry for the reserved barrel keybindings in the options.

Any pointers?

Postius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 02, 2009, 02:56:28 pm »

I read through 15 pages now but coudn't find something.

This version doesn't start at all. I unrared it, but it doesn't run. I see it in my proces manager, using up some ram and 99% of the cpu.

I'm using Xp (latest version), AMD athlon 2800+(or something), nvidia geforece 6800 and i don;t know my motherboard from my head but i doubt that has something to do with it.

Gief more framerates :D, would be nice if someone knew the answer so i can stop kicking my pc.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #368 on: September 02, 2009, 04:01:55 pm »

Crashed d15 by unplugging my second monitor on which it was displayed. (Mac OS 10.6 running under crossover, mac version of DF40d15)

terminal log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2009, 04:35:50 pm »

Baughn, any news on the tilegrid problems?
<3

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2009, 04:40:37 pm »

Also, I have discovered a lovely issue. From the error log:

Image export not possible because of zoom/window settings

Now why should this matter?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 02, 2009, 04:50:31 pm »

I read through 15 pages now but coudn't find something.

This version doesn't start at all. I unrared it, but it doesn't run. I see it in my proces manager, using up some ram and 99% of the cpu.

I'm using Xp (latest version), AMD athlon 2800+(or something), nvidia geforece 6800 and i don;t know my motherboard from my head but i doubt that has something to do with it.

Gief more framerates :D , would be nice if someone knew the answer so i can stop kicking my pc.

Try changing [WINDOWED:PROMPT] to either [WINDOWED:YES] or [WINDOWED:NO] in the init .txt file (located in the dwarf\DATA\INIT directory). Worked for me. You can still change from windowed mode to full screen and vice versa ingame by pressing F11
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:53:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 02, 2009, 04:55:32 pm »

files.h line 109 reads:
bool bl;//NO IDEA WHY IT CAN'T JUST TAKE vect

The answer is that vector<bool> is specialized to be a bitvector.  On the one hand, it uses less memory: one bit per value, rather than sizeof(bool) bytes, which is usually the same as an int.  On the other hand, it means that vector<bool>::operator[] returns a funky type rather than a bool&.  This is a not infrequent source of heartburn for STL users.  See for example:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/vector/

Postius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 02, 2009, 05:16:57 pm »

Try changing [WINDOWED:PROMPT] to either [WINDOWED:YES] or [WINDOWED:NO] in the init .txt file (located in the dwarf\DATA\INIT directory). Worked for me. You can still change from windowed mode to full screen and vice versa ingame by pressing F11
Thanks that worked :).

Now last question are there any tilesets that i could use with this version? Or just the basic graphics? Ive grown rather fond of one tileset.

I did notice a HUUUUGE improvement in performance though when i loaded up my savegame, it was pretty incredible :D. And the zoom is win.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #374 on: September 02, 2009, 05:33:04 pm »

You do know that you already ARE using a tileset?
All you have to do is change it.
<3
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 64