How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270424 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:23 am »

press ctrl+f10 to change zoom modes.

also, there's no 64x64 limit at all.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2009, 10:18:17 am »

Thanks, also when I was killed in adv. mode and it told me "You're deceased, press ESCAPE...", Esc didn't do anything, neither other keys.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2009, 01:00:44 pm »

Alright, this is driving me nuts.

I'm on a Mac and for some reason it won't let me zoom in like it did in 40d14; I am using a 9x9 tileset which fits in a 1440x810 window, and with 40d14 I was able to zoom in to an 18x18 size for that nice, readable blocky look without having any fuzz or misaligned pixels.

Zooming in with this version only changes the size of the window, not the tiles, with BLACK_SPACE both off and on. Switching modes lets me get something close to the effect I want but at the cost of my menus; it's zooming rather than readjusting the screen like it did in 40d14.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2009, 02:55:13 pm »

Zooming in with this version only changes the size of the window, not the tiles, with BLACK_SPACE both off and on. Switching modes lets me get something close to the effect I want but at the cost of my menus; it's zooming rather than readjusting the screen like it did in 40d14.
Please clarify. Zooming shouldn't alter the size of the window at all, and really can't; what do you mean?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2009, 03:23:32 pm »

Please clarify. Zooming shouldn't alter the size of the window at all, and really can't; what do you mean?

My apologies; what I mean is that the game only allows me to zoom out and reduce the size of the tiles. Attempting to zoom in shrinks the game window and leaves the rest of the application window filled with black space.

The alternate mode zooms into the game view, but does so on only a part of it - almost always obsucuring the menu. In 40d14, it effectively reordered the grid to get the zoomed-in size.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:00:32 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

gamegyaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:14 am »

Since this is my first post on this forum, I have to start by saying, what an amazing, fantastic, mind-boggling piece of art this is!

With that said, I am having trouble with saves on 40d16. Most of the time (say 80%) the saves miss what happens the last couple of months before the save, sometimes they miss a whole season. I have autosave=seasonal, and autobackup=yes in my init.txt. I used to have this problem with 40d, and I got into the habit of saving and then quitting, before I restarted the game. But that doesn't seem to help here with 40d16

Aside from that, the game is much faster, and the zoom features are great!

gg

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:28 am »

[linux_40d16]
(V)isualize is spectacularly broken. Blinky and puts gibberish. Also outputs warning to terminal:
Code: [Select]
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_state.c function r500SetupRSUnit line 1907
Don't know how to satisfy InputsRead=0x00000008
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 14, 2009, 01:55:21 pm »

Since this is my first post on this forum, I have to start by saying, what an amazing, fantastic, mind-boggling piece of art this is!

With that said, I am having trouble with saves on 40d16. Most of the time (say 80%) the saves miss what happens the last couple of months before the save, sometimes they miss a whole season. I have autosave=seasonal, and autobackup=yes in my init.txt. I used to have this problem with 40d, and I got into the habit of saving and then quitting, before I restarted the game. But that doesn't seem to help here with 40d16

gg
Make sure you start the correct save, that happened to me, too.
Let's assume you load spring, year 204, play until late summer 206 and save and quit.
The savegame 206-sum will be the autosave from early 206, while the savegame you loaded in the beginning, 204-spr holds your manually saved game from late summer 206.
This is because you are supposed to only load the embark-savegame and save on this. The seasonal saves are just backups.
It happened to me, maybe it happened to you, too. :)

By the way: Welcome in the forums!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:59:33 pm by Vince »

gamegyaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:24 am »

gg
Let's assume you load spring, year 204, play until late summer 206 and save and quit.
The savegame 206-sum will be the autosave from early 206, while the savegame you loaded in the beginning, 204-spr holds your manually saved game from late summer 206.
This is because you are supposed to only load the embark-savegame and save on this. The seasonal saves are just backups.

thanks for the welcome and the help! I think that must be it, i'm going to log in now and see if it works. But it sounds like thats what is happening, I'm looking at the wrong folder for the current save. All though, this is one thing I do is always check the current modified stamp, and always load from the most recently modified folder. But maybe if its writing to the folder that I launched the game from, which is an existing older folder, it doesn't show up as currenly modified or something? Anyway I will let you know if that fixes it.
thanks again!

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 15, 2009, 07:05:51 am »

gg

thanks for the welcome and the help! I think that must be it, i'm going to log in now and see if it works. But it sounds like thats what is happening, I'm looking at the wrong folder for the current save. All though, this is one thing I do is always check the current modified stamp, and always load from the most recently modified folder. But maybe if its writing to the folder that I launched the game from, which is an existing older folder, it doesn't show up as currenly modified or something? Anyway I will let you know if that fixes it.
thanks again!

I don't know if Windows does its accounting the same way, but I know that on POSIX-compliant systems (Linux, Mac OS X...) the directory's timestamp only changes if new files are created or deleted within the directory. Changing a file only changes the modified time on that file. So looking at the directory timestamp won't tell you when a save was last written to it if the filenames didn't change.

gamegyaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:25 am »

I don't know if Windows does its accounting the same way, but I know that on POSIX-compliant systems (Linux, Mac OS X...) the directory's timestamp only changes if new files are created or deleted within the directory. Changing a file only changes the modified time on that file. So looking at the directory timestamp won't tell you when a save was last written to it if the filenames didn't change.

i just did a test on Windows, and its the same. The directory is modified only if you add/remove a file or modify directory structure in some way. Thanks, thats good to know! If you modify a file within the directory the directory's modified date does not change, only the file's date changes (obviously).

But that apart it seems like even after referring to the right directory, there is somethings missing in the last save. For instance I just logged back in the game, and 3 bridges that I remember building are no longer there. I think this might have to do with the cat-mouth-grip error thing which I fixed by modifying the raw files. I read on some other post that it can cause problems with saves, that might be what is happening with my saves.

anyway if anyone knows anything else that can cause problems with saves do post, search for saves in these forum boards does not throw up anything helpful.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 15, 2009, 02:28:31 pm »

anyway if anyone knows anything else that can cause problems with saves do post, search for saves in these forum boards does not throw up anything helpful.

This sounded familiar, so I searched my post history and found the following:  DF Gameplay Questions:  Saves and Autosaves.  Maybe that will be of use.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:40 pm »

I'm still waiting for someone from the .40d## crew to weigh in on my more-limited multifont proposal, which has now dropped off the front of the suggestions page:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41821.0

Last time, you guys dismissed my earlier, more general, multiple fonts proposal as unworkable because it would imply multiple supplemental-graphics sets.  But this proposal would only kick in on certain specific screens that do not display creatures -- so no extra supplemental-graphics tileset would be needed to go with the extra font.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:25 pm »

I'm still waiting for someone from the .40d## crew to weigh in on my more-limited multifont proposal, which has now dropped off the front of the suggestions page:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41821.0

Last time, you guys dismissed my earlier, more general, multiple fonts proposal as unworkable because it would imply multiple supplemental-graphics sets.  But this proposal would only kick in on certain specific screens that do not display creatures -- so no extra supplemental-graphics tileset would be needed to go with the extra font.

That's beyond the scope of the 40d## project because it requires substantial rewriting of the menus.  Here's Toady's comment on an idea that encompasses yours:

Nah, like I said, it's 80x25 to 200x200.  I can't make the numbers smaller as easily because the menus would need to be changed.  Basically, to support tilesets with larger tile dimensions (is that what you're getting at?), I'd need to scrap the grid and support smaller/variable width fonts coexisting with the larger images.  That doesn't mean it's not coming, it's just further down the line in the presentation stuff (to be supported in the full gutting I've brought up occasionally).  The latest change was something I could put together quickly with (I think) minimal hassles/bugs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:55:47 pm by Footkerchief »

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 15, 2009, 06:11:50 pm »

That's beyond the scope of the 40d## project because it requires substantial rewriting of the menus.  Here's Toady's comment on an idea that encompasses yours:

Nah, like I said, it's 80x25 to 200x200.  I can't make the numbers smaller as easily because the menus would need to be changed.  Basically, to support tilesets with larger tile dimensions (is that what you're getting at?), I'd need to scrap the grid and support smaller/variable width fonts coexisting with the larger images.  That doesn't mean it's not coming, it's just further down the line in the presentation stuff (to be supported in the full gutting I've brought up occasionally).  The latest change was something I could put together quickly with (I think) minimal hassles/bugs.
That seems to be an answer to a proposal to have multiple sizes of font on the same screen simultaneously, which is not what I'm looking for.  In my proposal, every character on the screen is always in the same font and size, at any given moment.  Just like zoom.

It's basically a variation on the already added zoom, with the following differences:

1. It has precisely two stops -- 80x25 and one other user-specified tilesize.

2. It would be prettier because an entirely different PNG file is used for the 80x25 font, instead of an ugly automatic bitmap-rescale of the small font.

3. It would automatically snap to 80x25 for worldgen and embark site selection, and then back to the user gridsize for all other scenes.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 64