How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270409 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »

Specifically, setting G_FPS_CAP *upwards* will mess up all sorts of things. If it's set above or, sometimes, at your screen vsync rate, the game ends up waiting for the screen to refresh instead of computing DF, thus locking the FPS rate to the screen refresh rate. Bad idea.

Feel free to decrease it, though.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:10 pm »

I too am getting the problem where hitting ESC does nothing after dying in Adventure Mode.  I held down the key for 10 minutes by propping up some junk on my keyboard, with no success.  After that I gave up and Ctrl-Alt-Del'd out of the game.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 26, 2009, 11:06:22 am »

Well, I decided to give up on Fedora just in general. I might use it if I ever need to host my own server, but as a desktop OS it has too many quirks I didn't really like. So I swapped to Linux Mint.

Dwarf Fortress works perfectly fine right out of the box. I was surprised, actually. Running it resets my screen brightness level, but that's not you. That's an outstanding bug.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 26, 2009, 01:34:46 pm »

I too am getting the problem where hitting ESC does nothing after dying in Adventure Mode.  I held down the key for 10 minutes by propping up some junk on my keyboard, with no success.  After that I gave up and Ctrl-Alt-Del'd out of the game.

Me too. Forced save scumming

EDIT: In fact, it would appear that none of the keys do anything. Normally, after death, when one presses the keys for temperature, weather or date a message appears. This doesn't seem to be happening. Also, unlike 40d, time seems to go on after you are dead. (Elves running around etc.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:32:14 pm by zxcvmnb »

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 26, 2009, 02:35:18 pm »

Well, this is probably not a very pressing problem, since it only happens in very specific circumstances (which include incorrect data in the init file), but when the fullscreen resolution is too big for the display and you try to go fullscreen from a windowed game, it displays a message saying "SDL Initialization Failure: No video mode large enough for *resolution*", and "Error creating OpenGL window", and DF exits. While the messages are ok, wouldn't it be possible for the game to continue in window mode? Or at least not exit without saving?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 26, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »

Sure, I could do that.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #561 on: September 27, 2009, 11:46:44 am »

SDL window size bug(or button request):

Copied over some init settings from mayday, including a window/fullscreen size 1280x1024. My laptop only does 1440x900, and when I tried to set the window zoom (F12, may have accidentally hit F11), it pops up a window saying there isnt a video mode large enough.

Sadly this error window only has an Ok, not a cancel, and when you hit OK, it tries again and fails. I can't seem to resize the window or anything in the second it takes to repop the error message. I've changed my init, but I think thats only checked on load.

d16 mac version. OS10.6
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:00:05 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 27, 2009, 04:58:20 pm »

Me too. Forced save scumming

EDIT: In fact, it would appear that none of the keys do anything. Normally, after death, when one presses the keys for temperature, weather or date a message appears. This doesn't seem to be happening. Also, unlike 40d, time seems to go on after you are dead. (Elves running around etc.)

I'm not sure whether this is the same problem or not, but I'm getting (part of?) the keyboard locked up sometimes as well, one occasion, I could hit ESC to get tot he menu, but not select anything on there, or navigate the menu. the other time I couldn't even do that, couldn't get out of the mode I was in, which IIRC was mining, as I remember I couldn't designate any further mining.

annoying, as there's nothing else you can except kill the process.

system is - Vista 64 Home Premium - Intel Core2 Quad CPU W8200 - Geforce GTS 120 - Standard PS2 keyboard

I'll try and isolate the exact circumstances, but it's very finicky, I play every day and it's only happened a couple of times since i upgraded to 40d16, still, I'm making notes as I hit the problem, so if it continues, I might be able to find a repro case.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 28, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

Just got the lastest (d16) to use with Quickfort, and I can't get Blackspace to work. It always stretches the view to fit the window. Any way to fix this?

Edit: Blankspace works fine, sorry. Seems the 800x600 tileset itself was stretched...put the old tileset back in, everything's back how I want it.

Unfortunately, now all the blackspace is on the bottom, which doesn't look as good.

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit - Woah. How do I lock the screen size to default 80x25 dimensions? I can't handle the awesome.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:44:52 pm by OneRaven »
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 28, 2009, 04:42:01 pm »

The 800x600 tileset isn't stretched, it's meant to give a 800x600 window at 80x25. A lot of you were apparently squeezing it to 800x300.

I suppose for d17, whenever that happens, I should ask toady to bundle both versions.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 28, 2009, 10:26:06 pm »

Exactly. I've been using the 800x300 version so long the new version just looks awful to me. 5:12 ratio is way too narrow; the 5:6 ratio looks good and is pretty close to square.

I've been playing for a year or two and I always remember the 800x600 being 800x300 in practice, so I don't know why it suddenly got "fixed" here.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 28, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »

Old default init settings (putting the 800x600 font at 800x600 because it was labeled as such) stretched it. Baughn removed this feature of permitting you to independently decide x/y stretch arbitrarily.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 29, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

http://brage.info/~svein/df-40d16-head.tar.bz2

This link in the OP doesn't work. Can d17 be expected soon?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:49 pm »

No. Not until I find the time to actually do any of the things I need to do for it.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 30, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »

No. Not until I find the time to actually do any of the things I need to do for it.
That's life. Dual boot proves useful again.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 64