How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270233 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #585 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:14 pm »

I'm not sure whether this is the same problem or not, but I'm getting (part of?) the keyboard locked up sometimes as well, one occasion, I could hit ESC to get tot he menu, but not select anything on there, or navigate the menu. the other time I couldn't even do that, couldn't get out of the mode I was in, which IIRC was mining, as I remember I couldn't designate any further mining.

annoying, as there's nothing else you can except kill the process.

system is - Vista 64 Home Premium - Intel Core2 Quad CPU W8200 - Geforce GTS 120 - Standard PS2 keyboard

I'll try and isolate the exact circumstances, but it's very finicky, I play every day and it's only happened a couple of times since i upgraded to 40d16, still, I'm making notes as I hit the problem, so if it continues, I might be able to find a repro case.

just duplicated my problem.... alt-tabbing out of fullscreen 40d16, then alt-tabbing back in will lock up the entire keyboard. luckily, alt-tabbing back out and in again fixes it. I can repro this in my current fort, havent' had time to test it any others yet. will also test tomorrow on a different pc, see if it's the same in win-xp

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #586 on: October 07, 2009, 03:49:09 pm »

Good work, got 40d16 going on my laptop without issue. I welcome that you can resize the window dynamically, big help.

Don't think I'll be using the zoom out feature though, is a bit messy; on the map-archive I usually zoom out to binary divisions (0.5, 0.25, 0.125) to get a crisper image.

For ref, heres my init.txt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahh, I've just noticed a bug. And it caused an issue on the map archive.
Banding-- some times don't always get rendered in quite the right place, and apparently they don't look pixel perfect. Its worse when the window size is dragged to an intermediate size.

When the map gets exported, this banding is still present, and this messes up the map compressor's ability to compress effectively.

Image:

The position of the banding moves depending on the size of the window. Any idea if it can be fixed?

- Markavian

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 07, 2009, 11:26:48 pm »

Another bug, that I'm uncertain the reasons for- occasionally, when entering note text in Fortress Mode, lowercase p refuses to enter.

(And no, it's not my keyboard, or capital P would as well. When it occurs, it refuses it for much consecutive time. I haven't figured what starts/stops this bug.)

Confirming Markavian's banding issue (on linux d16) I don't see why it'd do it when blackspace is on...though I have a hunch, just a moment. Nope, window decorations are outside the specified dimensions as is proper.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:31:55 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 08, 2009, 01:05:12 pm »

Testing it......
Only problem so far : "Shift+;" / ".", doesn't work with an Azerty keyboard

And I have a question, will this be improved ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It could be helpfull, for long custom profession name, and to see more of the list.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:04 pm »

^^^ Yes, it will be fixed eventually.  That isn't what the 40d## versions are for though.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 09, 2009, 12:18:43 am »

In regards to the "Press esacpe to DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" adventure mode error:

I haven't found a suitable place to confirm it, but it seems that after death the game will only bother to check for input when there is a new message added to announcements, or it might be only when the game pauses so you can hit [MORE]. Currently this is anecdotal. If I can find (or start) a nice civil war / groundhog invasion I can test my theory.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 09, 2009, 12:35:28 am »

In regards to the "Press esacpe to DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" adventure mode error:

I haven't found a suitable place to confirm it, but it seems that after death the game will only bother to check for input when there is a new message added to announcements, or it might be only when the game pauses so you can hit [MORE]. Currently this is anecdotal. If I can find (or start) a nice civil war / groundhog invasion I can test my theory.

Verified.  There also appears to be some oddness where, after successfully reaching the Esc menu, hitting "Return to Game" the first time simply causes the last announcement to pop up at the bottom of the screen.  Pressing Enter a second time takes you back to the death scene as usual.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 09, 2009, 01:15:42 pm »

Sorry if this already has been noted -

If I decide to run d16 in the background and then click back into it, on occasion the screen turns completely black.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:44 pm »

Sorry if this already has been noted -

If I decide to run d16 in the background and then click back into it, on occasion the screen turns completely black.

I believe that has to do with the Partial Print option in the init. file where the game will not refresh the tiles unless there is a change in data.
It happens to me as well when I'm switching between programs,
but I usually fix it by going to another screen or quickly zooming out then back in.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 11, 2009, 03:00:23 pm »

^^^ You can also force it to refresh by grabbing the title bar to drag the window around.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #595 on: October 12, 2009, 08:12:25 am »

Anyone knows, will this be continued or not? It had some cool ideas for future like SVG tilesets.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 12, 2009, 12:47:16 pm »

It's going to get merged with the upcoming release, but it's in feature freeze for the time being.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 12, 2009, 12:53:23 pm »

Sounds like there are still a few bugs to iron out of this though.

Greg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 12, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »

Is there any way i can access saves from my other version of dwarf fortress?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 12, 2009, 02:07:24 pm »

Is there any way i can access saves from my other version of dwarf fortress?

Yes, each saved game is a folder inside /data/save.  They'll have names like region1, region2, etc.  Just move or copy them from your old version into the new version.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 64