How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270238 times)

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #645 on: October 27, 2009, 06:29:24 am »

3GB. I could try it, but VBOs in general work on my system (I use them myself) - I only have that problem with DF.
32 bit here btw.
I'll try it with 1 bar less now, wish me luck :D

EDIT: Nope. Didn't work either - and to be honest: I wasn't surprised.
I mean, VBOs work in other applications on my machine, too. And modifying my hardware to fix this problem... Are you sure it isn't just a coding issue? Maybe there are some win32-specifications that aren't met?
I don't really want to search for my Ubuntu-disk to try it under linux, but if you insisted, I would do it and try it there :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:00:06 am by Vince »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 27, 2009, 09:03:00 am »

I really enjoyed the explanations for the various modes, so do you think you could do the same for the different "levels" of Partial Print? I'm kind of blindly increasing/decreasing that number and I'm hard pressed to find any sort of effect...adverse or otherwise. Is there a number range I should be aiming for?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2009, 10:33:18 am »

Vince:
This should not be the case. I followed the relevant OpenGL specification; windows-specific requirements are a big no-no, although I certainly wouldn't be very surprised if one exists.

Lacking (hard/soft)ware that does this, however, there really no useful way I can debug it. It would be nice if you could figure out what's going on, but really, standard mode should be more than good enough on that hardware.

Sir Prinny:
The partial-print number is the number of times a given tile is redrawn before we stop, after it has been changed.

The reason it exists is that the SDL window DF asks for is, by default, double-buffered. This means there are two areas in video memory for it; we draw to one, while the other is displayed, and they are then swapped.

Turning on single-buffering changes that to, well, a single buffer; if this works (which it very often doesn't, except on old hardware), only one drawing is required, which you get by setting redraw count to 0.

You should normally not need more than 1. However, for situations such as triple buffering, 2 may be needed. That said..

Modern GPUs often have far more than three buffers, and old ones may be overwritten with random data before going back on the top. In that case, you may need a large number - in which case the performance goes to hell - or partial printing simply won't work at all. Dealing with this problem is what the Accum and Frame_buffer modes are for, as both emulate single buffering.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 27, 2009, 11:20:51 am »

Vince:
This should not be the case. I followed the relevant OpenGL specification; windows-specific requirements are a big no-no, although I certainly wouldn't be very surprised if one exists.

Lacking (hard/soft)ware that does this, however, there really no useful way I can debug it. It would be nice if you could figure out what's going on, but really, standard mode should be more than good enough on that hardware.

Thanks for your efforts, nevertheless! :D

MechaSaurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 27, 2009, 12:35:20 pm »

I have a problem with the newest version.

When I died in adventure mode, i wasnt able to press escape to finish the game. No other key responded either.

I had to close the game with strg+alt+del.

Oh and sorry for my clumsy english i'm not a native english speaker.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 27, 2009, 12:38:23 pm »

I have a problem with the newest version.

When I died in adventure mode, i wasnt able to press escape to finish the game. No other key responded either.

I had to close the game with strg+alt+del.

Oh and sorry for my clumsy english i'm not a native english speaker.

It's a known bug that's been widely reported in this thread and others.  It should be fixed for the next 40d##, although nobody knows when that'll be.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »

I'm sure i did see report on this bug before, but couldn't find it, and its damn annoying, so will report again.
In build menu's it considers single 'enter' button hit as repeated.
Ex. [b] - [C] - [w], designate area, hit 'enter', get some gold bar already selected, as 1/99. With single element designations it makes it impossible to select correct material.
For smaller forts i just increased hold repeat time in init to 250 ms, but now it did strike again, and increasing it even more isn't desired, since it start to lag on movement keys.

I noticed this effect appears from abundance of materials, more i have, more it 'lags' between ... - [w] and showing me the list. So I believe 'key down' event is incorrectly get stuck till it finishes materials calculation.

My init:
[KEY_HOLD_MS:250]
[KEY_REPEAT_MS:150]
[MACRO_MS:250]

Linux 2.6.30, bug exists in all 40dx versions

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:24 am »

I'm also seeing the problem Urist McDepravity mentioned. When placing building in the build menu, (most of the time) the enter key press is doubled, resulting in the first item in the list being picked. Note that this doesn't happen every time, and it doesn't appear to be related with keypress duration or anything else I've tried. This has been happening to me since at least d14 (possibly d13). I don't think I had this problem with some the earlier ones (I think d11 was okay, but I'll have to check).

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (linux 2.6.28 x64, SDL version 1.2.13).

DrazharLn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 28, 2009, 05:34:43 pm »

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and 40d16, I do not get the error mentioned by the above two posters.

All the timings are as default.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43:50 pm »

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and 40d16, I do not get the error mentioned by the above two posters.

All the timings are as default.
That. (It's slow to bring up the build pick menu, thanks to tens of thousands of mats, but it doesn't autopick any.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

DrazharLn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 28, 2009, 06:15:46 pm »

I just stumbled across this. Could the new support for transparent tilesets make this easily implemented?

If it could be, it would certainly be a nice little improvement.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:37 pm »

I just stumbled across this. Could the new support for transparent tilesets make this easily implemented?

If it could be, it would certainly be a nice little improvement.

Unfortunately, no.  It's outside the scope of this project, as it would require new logic within DF to handle what gets drawn.  The person who created that demo also posted a thread here about it.

DrazharLn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:16 pm »

Nevermind, perhaps it will be implemented officially at some time.

EDIT: Scratch the officially, I just meant outside this particular project. Forgive me, it's late here :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:58:58 pm by DrazharLn »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 30, 2009, 04:29:20 pm »

Right, quick explanation.

Good stuff. I've been really scratching my head with these options.

This should be put on the top post so people don't have to dig through the entire thread to find out what the various functions do.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2009, 01:10:35 pm »

First of all, thanks for all the work you guys have been putting into this!

But, DF crashes after the embark screen (right after the "Strike the Earth!" message) if I try to put fullscreen on. My resolution is 2560 * 1440 (latest 27" iMacs). Windowed mode won't let me resize up to full capacity.. See enclosed screenshot for what it looks like beyond that (it just adds black bands).

http://imgur.com/O6qNy.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 64