How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270404 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #705 on: November 22, 2009, 12:56:17 pm »

Well then, good bye dumb EEEPC OS. It is getting replaced. Isn't linux being free just excellent?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 25, 2009, 11:58:20 am »

I'm having some problems in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, using PARTIAL:5 and SINGLE_BUFFER:YES. DF uses both cores of my dual-core processor (which I find quite interesting), experiences framerate problems while paused, and keeps running after I quit. I tried randomly messing with the graphics settings, and noticed that switching SINGLE_BUFFER to YES removes these problems, and replaces them with slight flickering whenever I move.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 25, 2009, 03:11:02 pm »

FATAL ERROR

"Main Index File Missing/Corrupted. The file "index" must be in the "data" folder. Make sure DF uncompressed into its folders properly."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 25, 2009, 03:12:12 pm »

FATAL ERROR

"Main Index File Missing/Corrupted. The file "index" must be in the "data" folder. Make sure DF uncompressed into its folders properly."

Get fresh download, reinstall, make sure to uncompress it into its folders properly, and run the game to make sure it's working before trying to transfer your mods/saves/whatever.  Also if you have Vista don't install into Program Files.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 25, 2009, 03:28:16 pm »

Ah, that last one is it. Why does Program Files jack it up?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 25, 2009, 03:31:03 pm »

Just one of those dumb things about Vista, it tries to force programs installed there to save user data in My Documents or Application Data or something.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 25, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »

That is not remotely a good thing; there is no reason why users should be able to write data outside of their own home directory.

Microsoft is finally trying to increase security to where unix has been since before its creation. It's a sadly half-hearted effort, mind you.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 25, 2009, 05:12:44 pm »

That is not remotely a good thing; there is no reason why users should be able to write data outside of their own home directory.

Microsoft is finally trying to increase security to where unix has been since before its creation. It's a sadly half-hearted effort, mind you.

Well to be fair on MS, they've got their backwards compatibility to think about, which makes things more difficult.

---

The OpenAL stuff doesn't work on my machine. It doesn't load the songs, for some reason. I'll have a look at the code tonight and see where it's failing on my machine: just a heads up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 05:19:02 pm by bhelyer »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 27, 2009, 08:11:12 pm »

Probably a silly question but I have been happily plugging along with D11 ever since it was released, not having enough interest in the newer features to move around my raw folders.

With DF companion being made available for D16 I decided to migrate over, since abandoning a fort isn't quite the same without my much enjoyed zombie apocalypse to end it all.

Seems to work well except for one little detail. In D11 I enjoyed a 1230x708 size windowed screen set at a 123:59 grid.  When tweaking the init to my favored settings I noticed a complete lack of the grid size setting.  I wasn't too worried at first expecting to be able to zoom to my preferred tile size manually.

I can and I can't, I can get everything to pretty much the right size, but everything is horribly blurry, and it hurts my eyes to look at it too long.  So is there any way to get the tiles to those dimensions anymore?  Secret init setting or some zoom setting I don't have full awareness of?

Doing a quick glance through the tread only brought up a strikethroughed mention of it that was apparently fixed by turning black space off, which doesn't help me much, since black space is already off.

PS. Not using graphics, just the standard 800x600 curses that ships with vanilla
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:13:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 27, 2009, 08:22:13 pm »

Greiger: The old one was 10x12 and the default, 800x600 stretched to 10x24. 40d16 uses a version that's pre-doubled to 10x24.

So, use the old 800x600 font with your coordinate setting- I see it's a perfect multiple.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9540/curses800x600old.png
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 27, 2009, 08:33:29 pm »

Ah thanks, I'll try that.  And while looking through the thread with a fine tooth comb while waiting sees it mentioned multiple times, heh.

Oh well, thanks for the response and the not the usual SEARCH THE DAMN THREAD WTF I would see on other forums. :)

P.S And that indeed did the trick, thank you very much Cobalt.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:39:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 27, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »

Probably by me, too. ;) the search function on this forum is not terribly useful. Hope to hear a succ-oh, good, it worked. You're welcome. Still blurry?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »

Nope crisp and clear :). Thanks much I even closed the wrong window when comparing it fortress to fortress to D11.

That zoom feature seems useful too now that I got a base tile size I'm used to.  Zoom out all the way and I have a view of a good 90 percent of the embark, though understandably it is a bit difficult to distinguish my mudstone fortifications from the tropical summer dry grass at that distance, but I don't care about that, the awesome is overwhelming.  Excellent work Baughn.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 27, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »

There are a couple 4x4 tilesets running round if you want an overview too badly... ;)
Tilesets

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 29, 2009, 11:42:21 am »

Running it under Ubuntu 9.10, Intel 945GM video card, comparing 40d16 with 40d running under Wine. Both run with the same speed (~5-10 FPS with my heavily populated fortress). 40d16
- has much higher FPS on the menu (~75 instead ~24),
- starts more stably,
- loads and saves the game faster,
- has a bit longer response time to key presses.

However, it didn't work at first. I had to delete the libs/libstdc++.so.6 file, and copy the bmp versions of the tilesets from the original game.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:44:15 am by petersohn »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 64