How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270435 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #720 on: November 29, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »

I've launched d16 today (Mayday's distribution of it, if that makes any difference in this context), played two quick adventures, and there seems to be a problem. Namely, when I inevitably get killed, and it says "press Escape to finish", it doesn't react. I eventually have to terminate the DF process.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 29, 2009, 08:31:21 pm »

I've launched d16 today (Mayday's distribution of it, if that makes any difference in this context), played two quick adventures, and there seems to be a problem. Namely, when I inevitably get killed, and it says "press Escape to finish", it doesn't react. I eventually have to terminate the DF process.

Yup, it's a known issue.  Hopefully will be fixed by the revamp of the revamped input system.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 29, 2009, 08:49:12 pm »

Yup, it's a known issue.  Hopefully will be fixed by the revamp of the revamped input system.

And I take it there's no workaround, other than not dying?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 29, 2009, 08:59:50 pm »

The only workaround I can recall is that, if you get enough announcements piled up on the screen that the game pauses and waits for you to hit spacebar, it'll then recognize the Esc keypress (as long as you don't hit spacebar instead!).  So if you have to die, die somewhere busy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 29, 2009, 09:03:06 pm »

I see, so it would probably work if I pressed escape on getting the original bled to death or struck down message? Anyway, the last time I died I was actually able to bring up the main menu twice, but I had been mashing my keys, so before I knew it, I must have pressed something to get back to the game.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »

Yeah, I think that works.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »

Running it under Ubuntu 9.10, Intel 945GM video card, comparing 40d16 with 40d running under Wine. Both run with the same speed (~5-10 FPS with my heavily populated fortress). 40d16
- has much higher FPS on the menu (~75 instead ~24),
- starts more stably,
- loads and saves the game faster,
- has a bit longer response time to key presses.

However, it didn't work at first. I had to delete the libs/libstdc++.so.6 file, and copy the bmp versions of the tilesets from the original game.
you copied the inits didn't you.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 30, 2009, 04:35:53 pm »

No; distributing binary software on linux is somewhat of a black art, and it gets far worse if, as in this case, part of DF is compiled on one machine (Toady's) and part on another (mine).

For the proper release that won't be a problem, but there's still going to be a problem if (a) you're missing libraries (and some, like sdl-image, don't even /exist/ in some distributions), or (b) toady's are newer than yours.

Sadly, on linux, that's life.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 30, 2009, 05:22:26 pm »

No; distributing binary software on linux is somewhat of a black art, and it gets far worse if, as in this case, part of DF is compiled on one machine (Toady's) and part on another (mine).

For the proper release that won't be a problem, but there's still going to be a problem if (a) you're missing libraries (and some, like sdl-image, don't even /exist/ in some distributions), or (b) toady's are newer than yours.

Sadly, on linux, that's life.
That's why we need a DF Package Management server. ;)

The only problem is defining what type to go with (YUM, APT, etc.) and of course setting it up.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 01, 2009, 10:02:24 am »

Been using the 'd's for a while and all seems well, though I haven't especially noticed any speed improvement since my machine is probably limited more by pathing than anything else.

But. There is one little thing, a tiny niggle, thats been slightly annoying me. I've had a quick look at the buglist and... well, I haven't read the whole thread (it's huge, after all)... it seems like something other people would have mentioned, but I thought I'd post myself.

My one problem is that pressing spacebar in the workshops interfaces now just dumps out of the menu fully, rather than going back one step as it used to. Maybe its insignificant, maybe people prefer it this way round. I won't pretend its anything less than my preference. I was just wondering if it was intentional.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:15 am »

I thought that seemed strange.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14:39 pm »

If that's caused by the horrible new input code, then it will be fixed in d17. Let's wait and see.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:12 pm »

Changing my linux distro to Ubuntu fixed it up...thanks!

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 03, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

Something that's been bugging me for a while about 40d16...

When I'm playing 40d, if I go into the orders menu for a forge or a similar building that has nested categories, and I hit Space, it goes back to the prior level of the menu, and eventually back to the main q-screen for that building.

In 40d16, whenever I hit Space in an orders list, it immediately exits q-mode.

Is there a way I can put this back to the way it was in 40d? Some change I can make in the key bindings?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 03, 2009, 04:19:03 pm »

Something that's been bugging me for a while about 40d16...

When I'm playing 40d, if I go into the orders menu for a forge or a similar building that has nested categories, and I hit Space, it goes back to the prior level of the menu, and eventually back to the main q-screen for that building.

In 40d16, whenever I hit Space in an orders list, it immediately exits q-mode.

Is there a way I can put this back to the way it was in 40d? Some change I can make in the key bindings?

This was mentioned and answered 4 posts above yours:

If that's caused by the horrible new input code, then it will be fixed in d17. Let's wait and see.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 64