How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270395 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #780 on: December 15, 2009, 08:47:40 pm »

Two known causes of exceptionally bad performance are a) pet-locked doors and b) having a very high item count on your map.

I can rule out a) in my case, and I don't know how much would be a very high item count, so I can't comment on b). I had around 10k stone in that fort. My industries were pretty underdeveloped, so I don't think I had what would count as a high number of other items.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »

10,000 is probably enough to cause a noticeable drop, although I doubt getting rid of them will yield any miracles.  I think the favored way to get rid of them is to temporarily mod the stone's boiling point to just below room temperature (whatever that is).  Note that you'll need temperature turned on for this to work, and it may cause spontaneous collapse of buildings, workshops, etc. (although constructions will be unaffected).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:56:47 pm by Footkerchief »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 15, 2009, 09:20:31 pm »

If I understand this correctly, then what it boils down to is that you pretty much have to cut down on producing... anything if numbers as low as 10,000 are enough to make this game slow down. I mean, I can get rid of those stones by dumping them in magma or doing that modding trick you suggested, but I'm going to get another 10k of new items soon enough if I produce ammo, furniture, bags, clothing, surplus food, etc.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:33 pm »

Yes, cutting down on gratuitous production couldn't hurt.  Beyond that, well, 10,000 will still perform better than 20,000.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:04 pm »

Yes, cutting down on gratuitous production couldn't hurt.  Beyond that, well, 10,000 will still perform better than 20,000.

That's the thing. I'd never thought of furniture or ammo production as gratuitous, seeing how you do need a lot of those no matter what. 

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 15, 2009, 10:56:18 pm »

As far as I can tell that's a problem inherent to Dwarf Fortress itself and has nothing to do with the graphics.

I imagine the new version will actually across the board reduce framerates considering all the new details added, even after Toady does the pathfinding optimizations I'm doubtful that it would run as fast as this version does.

Baughn's work could very well be all that keeps 50% of the community from leaving due to unplayable FPS. After all, we won't know what the new frames are like until we get are grubby little hands on the .exe.  If you got excellent frames before, awesome, as long as the 40D# stuff doesn't hurt your frames compared to standard I don't really see a problem. 

Besides, it has that fancy zooming feature now.  That's spiffy. And the possibility of transparency in tilesets is nice too, even though I don't see much difference with those myself currently, it sets ground for more to be done with it in the future.  There's also the not having to mess around with calculations for gridsizes anymore.  Even though that cunfuzzled me at first, I like it now.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 15, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »

I imagine the new version will actually across the board reduce framerates considering all the new details added, even after Toady does the pathfinding optimizations I'm doubtful that it would run as fast as this version does.

Even if it does, all of the supposedly FPS-destroying features he's adding can be modded out.  I expect we'll see some attempts at high-performance mods that re-simplify creature bodies and remove the expanded underground via worldgen params.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 16, 2009, 03:12:58 am »

Adding more detail is not necessarily synonymous with poorer performance, mind. The real question is how often those details need to be checked.

I won't doubt there'll be some drop, but I don't know that it'll be all THAT major.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 17, 2009, 12:39:52 am »

Not really a bug but an inconsistency I noticed: You say that you can switch between zoom modes by clicking the mouse wheel, but that feature is by default bound to Ctrl-F10, not the mouse wheel.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 17, 2009, 01:08:08 am »

I believe all the mouse actions are hardcoded and therefore won't be in the config screens, regrettably.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 24, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »

They are /right now/, actually. Somewhere in there.

Okay. 40d17 is coming up; I've sent the last major patch to Toady, though it may still be a while.

Big changes:

- Three new display modes: 2D, 2DASYNC and 2DHW, none of which use opengl. Not as fast, but reliable and work without a 3d accelerator.
- New sound system (openal); means more reliable sound on linux.
- Rewritten input system (a-freakin'-gain), hopefully this time there will be no more problems. A number of minor improvements in how input is handled.
- No macro system. I didn't rewrite that, because I'm plotting to make a better one. It'll be back, eventually; meanwhile autohotkey should work (and if it doesn't, tell me and I'll fix it).

Overall, this may be the last d-series release. There are probably minor glitches left, but there should be nobody left unable to play it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 25, 2009, 12:18:28 am »

Yay!  ;D

I like the new modes, should be helpful to those w/o OpenGL. and the other stuff is nice too.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #792 on: December 25, 2009, 06:04:29 am »

Oooh, cool :)
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 25, 2009, 10:27:27 am »

- New sound system (openal); means more reliable sound on linux.

I thought the only sound in this game was one track played on classical guitar, or am I missing something here? I ask this, because I can't fathom how that could be so complicated as to be unreliable for some people.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 25, 2009, 12:51:24 pm »

Sound on linux is, in fact, a rather.. dicey proposition.

Things vary a lot between distributions, and they expect to recompile all programs to fit.

Wait, sound? No, /binary distribution/ is a dicey proposition.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 64