How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270268 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #870 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:38 am »

There's a limit on how large textures your card will accept; typically 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or 4096x4096.

40d creates one texture per tile, then switches between them once per tile. This is very inefficient. 40d16 creates a single large texture for all tiles, but this means there are limits on tile size.

But frankly, your tileset is not what I'd call sane. Why do you want it that large?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 10, 2010, 07:43:41 am »

SimRobert: Tell me what glxinfo says, then report back.

Footkerchief: There could be a connection; vista and w7 have changed how opengl is rendered in windowed mode, for composition.

It should still work, barring broken drivers (as in, broken from the factory.. doesn't work with ATI, for example); however, you could bypass the entire issue (hopefully) by switching windows to classic mode.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 10, 2010, 01:42:14 pm »

Why do you want it that large?
To zoom in enough to see the splatter of vomit on the right third finger?  But really this would be better handled by SVG tilesets.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 10, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »

switching windows to classic mode.

Is that the same as compatibility mode?  I'll pass that along.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 10, 2010, 05:39:01 pm »

There's a limit on how large textures your card will accept; typically 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or 4096x4096.

40d creates one texture per tile, then switches between them once per tile. This is very inefficient. 40d16 creates a single large texture for all tiles, but this means there are limits on tile size.

But frankly, your tileset is not what I'd call sane. Why do you want it that large?

Well, I was minding my own business, playing DF, when suddenly Mme. "Because I Can" and M. "Why Not?" hit me over the head with your zoom-in function. So I suppose you're to blame.
Hah, "sanity"  ::)

I did just find a (partial) work-around, though. Seems DF doesn't mind mixing in tiles of different resolutions from graphics packs. So given my maximum of 2831x2831pixel picture files, and 550x550pixel target tile resolution, I can make 5x5tile graphics packs out of everything capable of being shoved into them. Which is just creatures at the moment, but at least they'll be fully-detailed creatures!

Thank you for the clarification, sir; there's hope for this tileset yet!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 10, 2010, 05:53:28 pm »

SimRobert: Tell me what glxinfo says, then report back.

Footkerchief: There could be a connection; vista and w7 have changed how opengl is rendered in windowed mode, for composition.

It should still work, barring broken drivers (as in, broken from the factory.. doesn't work with ATI, for example); however, you could bypass the entire issue (hopefully) by switching windows to classic mode.

actually, it went away upon updating my graphics card.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 10, 2010, 06:20:02 pm »

Well, I was minding my own business, playing DF, when suddenly Mme. "Because I Can" and M. "Why Not?" hit me over the head with your zoom-in function. So I suppose you're to blame.

But 40d16 guarantees the DF core at least an 80x25 gridsize, meaning you cannot achieve 1:1 zoom on any real monitor at 550 tile size.  You'd need well over five times the horizontal resolution of any monitor you can actually buy in the real world.

So you lose nothing by just creating a downscaled version of your set, that fits your monitor at 80x25, and feeding that to DF instead of your 550px master (which you keep for editing).

That might make zooming to other resolutions a little less smooth, since going from 550x550 to 50x50 discards information useful in making the cleanest 49x49 render.  But that problem would be better solved with the multiple font feature I've been requesting...

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 10, 2010, 07:12:02 pm »

But 40d16 guarantees the DF core at least an 80x25 gridsize, meaning you cannot achieve 1:1 zoom on any real monitor at 550 tile size.  You'd need well over five times the horizontal resolution of any monitor you can actually buy in the real world.
Ah, but the point is not to produce a usable tileset, but rather one that looks good when ridiculously zoomed in =D The hardcoded 80x25 means that zooming in that far shoves the menus way off my monitor to the right and the whole screen wobbles in counterpoint to mouse movement. But the tiles look so good!

Anyway, I spoke too soon earlier:
I did just find a (partial) work-around, though. Seems DF doesn't mind mixing in tiles of different resolutions from graphics packs. So given my maximum of 2831x2831pixel picture files, and 550x550pixel target tile resolution, I can make 5x5tile graphics packs out of everything capable of being shoved into them.

Apparently the limit is global. Loading two 4x1tile graphics packs (2200x550 each) works with the 2048x2048 tileset, but trying to load a third crashes things with the message to upgrade GPU. Guess the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train O_0
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 10, 2010, 07:45:27 pm »

Apparently I need fmodex.dll to run d16.

WHEN IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE GODDAMN FOLDER NEXT TO THE GODDAMN .exe FILE.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

...help?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »

Broken download? Try again?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 10, 2010, 10:23:41 pm »

I've tried that. Three times. Along with trying to download Mayday's graphic set, and getting the same error. It says something like "failed to create OpenGL window" or similar. It's an old computer, would my graphics card be a problem?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:30 am »

It could be. In that case, there's a 2D mode in 40d17 which will help.

That doesn't explain the fmodex error, though.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:49 am »

My computer runs 3D 40d fine, just not d16. I'm so unhappy... :'(

ungulateman has been stricken with melancholy!

ungulateman, Record Keeper, has drowned.

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 18, 2010, 07:47:57 pm »

Odd FPS issue, I just got around to getting the linux release of 40d16 running (been playing on a windows partition until now) and, when I use the 800x600 font, my FPS is around 15 with 7 dwarves, getting up to 20 paused.
using the 640x300] font, I get 103FPS paused and 100 running with the first 7 dwarves.

has anyone else experienced this?
(I looked really quick with the forum's search function and didn't see anything. I hope this isn't old news.)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:09 am »

Try the other printmode settings.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 64