Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Cthulu Cult  (Read 3637 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Cthulu Cult
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »

According to Wikipedia, the short story Call of Cthulhu described about the cult that worshipped the Cthulhu.

One cultist, known as Old Castro, provides the most elaborate information given in Lovecraft's fiction about Cthulhu. The Great Old Ones, according to Castro, had come from the stars to rule the world in ages past.

They were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape...but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R'lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them.

—[16]
Castro points to the "much-discussed couplet" from Abdul Alhazred's Necronomicon:

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

—[17]
Castro explains the role of the Cthulhu Cult: When the stars have come right for the Great Old Ones, "some force from outside must serve to liberate their bodies. The spells that preserved Them intact likewise prevented them from making an initial move."[16] At the proper time,

the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from his tomb to revive His subjects and resume his rule of earth....Then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.

—[18]

According to the Cthulu Cult, Cthulu would actually lead to a brave new world, a world without evil, but with lots of "shouting and killing and revelling", a world of anarchy with no morality whatsoever.

This is very strange. I always saw that if Cthulu was awakened, the world would end. Instead, it seems that it merely changes into a unrecognizable form of violent anarchy.

So the question is this: Is the cult correct? Or is it just a tad mistaken?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: The Cthulu Cult
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »

Noting how when an Elder God is summoned, none of the cultists survive, I'd say their more than a tad wrong.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:37 pm »

Elder gods do not care for humanity. Most of them anyway. The ones who do want to step on us to see what sounds we make.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:23:01 am »

Why can't people worship awesome cults? If there was an actual Imperium Cult, I would be the first to join.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:26:25 am »

I would join the Tau, simply because I've vowed to meet a Tau in real life and shove my hand into that hole on their face, to see how deep it is.

For science, you see.  Also, the Imperium is like the worst place to live ever.
Shoes...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:30:34 am »

I'd say that the Warp is worse place to live ever. The imperium takes a close 3rd

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:30 am »

The warp is cool if you're a Slaaneshi.  Cocaine and parties forever.

Anyway, what's the second in your book?
Shoes...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:37:28 am »

Eye of terror, or possibly ork places.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:50:55 am »

An Eye of Terror is technicly part of the Warp. my 2nd would be any active battlefield.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 02:28:38 am »

On topic:

Yeah, Cthulhu's return would herald a new age that isn't necessarily "evil", but I doubt a world completely consumed by an orgy of violence and hedonism is going to last very long.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 02:56:23 am »

You might be surprised.  Sure, there's the initial plunge, but once the first shock has worn off it would probably be a rather acceptable place to be.  A lot of modern day laws and morals are just F'ed up the A to the point of being stupid, a more "basal" system might actually do us some good.

And anyone who's ever met anyone else will know that killing has its time and its place, just like everything else.

And yeah, in the event of universal Warhammerism, I'd probably run straight for the T'au.  Sure, that sterilization thing sounds a bit nasty, but look at your options...  If you join the guard, your commanding officer will shoot you for not marching fast enough or shooting accurately enough.  If you hook up with chaos, your innards will urgently be required for an important ritual.  If you try and make a break for it, the Orks will turn your skull into a finger puppet.  No contest.

I suppose you could go to the Necrons and turn yourself into a pariah, but really...   I mean, really.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:32:07 am »

Uh oh, another religion bashing thread.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 06:52:46 am »

Then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil

(as in, before the rise of the GOOs)
I think that part is significant. As in, by the time the GOOs rise, human beings practically qualify as honorific GOOs.

The abolition of good and evil also sort of fits with the old charge of antinomianism  (http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/heresy/antinomianism/ Dont worry, it's SFW). There they claim that Rasputin was an adherent of that doctrine. I doubt the factuality of that statement, but coincidentally, in the Hellboy movie Rasputin is a worshipper of a Cthulhu like being.
RA RA RASPUTIN
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
RA RA RASPUTIN
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:59:27 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 07:11:38 am »

I thought Cthulu would destroy everything if he returned.  I need to find that fake tract...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 07:38:32 am »

Cthulhu? As in H.P. Lovecraft? Didn't he make it pretty clear that NOONE knew what the hell Cthulhu wanted? It's been a while since I've read his stories, so forgive me if my statement's a bit false.
Pages: [1] 2 3