Finally... > General Discussion

The Cthulu Cult

(1/9) > >>

Servant Corps:
According to Wikipedia, the short story Call of Cthulhu described about the cult that worshipped the Cthulhu.

--- Quote ---One cultist, known as Old Castro, provides the most elaborate information given in Lovecraft's fiction about Cthulhu. The Great Old Ones, according to Castro, had come from the stars to rule the world in ages past.

They were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape...but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R'lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them.

—[16]
Castro points to the "much-discussed couplet" from Abdul Alhazred's Necronomicon:

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

—[17]
Castro explains the role of the Cthulhu Cult: When the stars have come right for the Great Old Ones, "some force from outside must serve to liberate their bodies. The spells that preserved Them intact likewise prevented them from making an initial move."[16] At the proper time,

the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from his tomb to revive His subjects and resume his rule of earth....Then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.

—[18]

--- End quote ---

According to the Cthulu Cult, Cthulu would actually lead to a brave new world, a world without evil, but with lots of "shouting and killing and revelling", a world of anarchy with no morality whatsoever.

This is very strange. I always saw that if Cthulu was awakened, the world would end. Instead, it seems that it merely changes into a unrecognizable form of violent anarchy.

So the question is this: Is the cult correct? Or is it just a tad mistaken?

Little:
Noting how when an Elder God is summoned, none of the cultists survive, I'd say their more than a tad wrong.

TheNewerMartianEmperor:
Elder gods do not care for humanity. Most of them anyway. The ones who do want to step on us to see what sounds we make.

Luke_Prowler:
Why can't people worship awesome cults? If there was an actual Imperium Cult, I would be the first to join.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)I'm joking

Cthulhu:
I would join the Tau, simply because I've vowed to meet a Tau in real life and shove my hand into that hole on their face, to see how deep it is.

For science, you see.  Also, the Imperium is like the worst place to live ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version