Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Cthulu Cult  (Read 3635 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cthulu Cult
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 07:44:09 am »

Yeah, I thought the whole point of the Elder Things was that their goals and needs barely concerned us at all.

Also, Cthulhu, at least in the stories I've read, is an extremely large, extremely powerful being, but by no means the world-ender.

And besides, he's fairly useless-

Vester cancels post: devoured by Elder God.
Vester has been struck down.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:47:48 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:02 am »

I am of the opinion that the idea of violent anarchy is there simply to tempt the cultists into awakening him, then once he is awakened he'll devour the cultists and then set about doing whatever it is he really wants to do. I imagine probably going about rebuilding the empire he had millions of years ago and enslaving humanity or something.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 11:16:12 am »

Or maybe just get up, be confused for a moment, and fly off into space.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 11:37:25 am »

Or maybe he'll die from air pollution.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 04:09:32 pm »

Considering he don't need to breathe, and him and all his kin are partially 4th dimensional beings...

All the Xothians want is this planet for whatever reason. They don't want anything else. That's why the fought the war with the Elder things billions of years ago (they won, of course). They don't want any of the Elder Things messy experiments (us, the shoggoths, most other life).

Also: Independently of his own goals, the real Great Old Ones (for Cthulhu is only a cousin/high priest. It's unclear) dwell within R'lyeh and he will awaken them when he awakens, and they'll do whatever they do.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 06:59:01 am »

Yeah, exactly, I was always under the impression that these cults had entirely no idea what they were doing, and that Cthulhu was really just a watcher for when the time was 'right', he'd wake the Great Old Ones, and then whatever happened.

None of this is real of course, just speculating fiction, though it depends on who you asked here. One group of people will see my post and agree and tell me to shut up for pointing out the obvious. Another group will say they really believe that Cthulhu who dwells in the deep will awaken and do *SOMETHING*, and a smaller group will actually think all of that Lovecraft stuff is real.

Not that the last group would be unwanted. I'd LOVE to meet a Cthulhu cultist, provided they didn't try and sacrifice me.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 07:06:27 am »

That whole thing with the Xothians was not made by Lovecraft, and flies in the face of the point he was trying to make in the first place: That we are small, insignificant insects in a cold, uncaring universe with things that could not care less about us or our tiny little blue marble all around us.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 07:14:03 am »

(I know I was devoured, and should therefore not be posting, but...)

All I know about Cthulhu comes from memes and Wikipedia. :-[

But in general, the theme of apathetic universe is what it was supposed to be, right?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 07:15:50 am »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a bloopwatcher:

http://www.bloopwatch.org/thebloop.html

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 07:21:13 am »

Hmmm.... Mysterious.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 07:38:47 am »

But in general, the theme of apathetic universe is what it was supposed to be, right?
Yeah, in Lovecraft's stories. An apathethic universe, and human beings living in an ever-decaying civilization that is all that keeps them shielded from the chaos and the madness. Thus, Lovecraft stories always end either badly or very badly, and his characters tend to kill themselves to spare themselves the horror.

Not so Derleth. He saw it as a regular good vs evil theme. So his take kind of rapes the original. Besides, it constraints the story

For the record, I do prefer Lovecraft. I do think he is being hyped. Sometime in the last few years the internet memetics took hold of this much neglected writer, and now we have the adjetive "lovecraftian" popping up every now and then, and people drooling about anything which vaguely attempts to emulate him. Take the goddamn "Zalgo" meme in /b/. Most of it sucks, but nonetheless people follow it because it's "lovecraftian". And thus, just like Anne Rice (and later Stephanie Meyer) ruined vampires, and just like all those "zombie" movies and books ruined zombies, the lovecraft-wannabes are abusing the theme.

Nevertheless, despite the hype, Lovecraft remains an influence in the horror genre, and often horror novels, or movies, or videogames do benefit from subtle homages. The key is in keeping them subtle (if possible) and of quality.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 07:46:00 am »

Eternal darkness is a good example of an emulation of his style. You know this because in the very best ending, the cosmic horror wins, but at least it's the one that is sealed away, almost completely depowered.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:34 am »

BTW: somewhat on topic, or at least related to my former post. When looking for the name of the writer of Twilight, I went into ED, and found this image. (SFW, but spoiled just in case)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been crying with laughter for five minutes now
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 10:34:06 am »

Not that the last group would be unwanted. I'd LOVE to meet a Cthulhu cultist, provided they didn't try and sacrifice me.
'sup lol

That whole thing with the Xothians was not made by Lovecraft, and flies in the face of the point he was trying to make in the first place: That we are small, insignificant insects in a cold, uncaring universe with things that could not care less about us or our tiny little blue marble all around us.
What part? In The Mountains of Madness detail a war between the Elder Things and the Starspawn(Xothians). We're still meaningless, luckily.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54:36 am »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a bloopwatcher:

http://www.bloopwatch.org/thebloop.html

Maybe this is a tad ironic, but I pray at night that it's some sort of Lovecraftian horror-beast. Or Godzilla. I fucking love Godzilla.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 [2] 3