Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Coraline  (Read 3083 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Coraline
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:21:53 am »

So I saw this thing on a plane trip, and having seen a couple of the advertisements (and just the art style when it started playing), I thought it looked kinda like something that would crawl its way out of Tim Burton's head.  For clarification, that's a good thing (in my opinion).

I watched it with a relatively open mind, but I must admit to wanting something specific.  Even so, that didn't quite help out this movie.

I was rather disappointed, quite frankly.  It had all the potential to be the gorgeously twisted and sadistic fairytale I was hoping it would be, but it wasn't.  It even had the potential to be a fulfilling children's movie, but it wasn't that either.

To me, Coraline seemed like a movie that didn't quite know what it wanted to be.  The movie would switch between an original kid's movie, to a psychotic fantasy movie, to a mediocre video game.  The end result was something too scary for the kiddies and too kiddy for the scaries, while tossing in a smattering of video game-ness that wasn't suited for anybody.

I must say I felt sad for the film.  It had all the potential to be whatever it wanted to be, but it couldn't make a decision and stick with it.  I don't often leave a movie feeling sorry for the damned thing, but I have a sneaky hunch it's not a positive reaction.

Has anyone else seen this?  And if so, what are your views?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Coraline
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:24:59 am »

Didn't see the movie, but I know the feeling.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 06:26:51 am »

I dunno, I saw Coraline and I quite enjoyed it. Although it may be becuase of my normal salvation war syndrome.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:42:16 am »

The movie is based off a book of the same name by Neil Gaiman. His stuff is always better when you read the original material. (*cough* I'm looking at you Stardust.)
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:44 am »

Eh, my sister is a Hot Topic kiddie, so I have a deep-seated hatred of Tim Burton.  I haven't seen any of his movies since The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:06:11 am »

salvation war syndrome.

Okay, I've seen it enough to ask. What the hell is salvation war syndrome?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:08:50 am »

A pretend thousand-yard-stare from watching too many war movies?  I dunno.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15:34 am »

I dont like Tim Burton movies in general.

The last one I was forced to watch (under the "fun for all the family" motto) was "The Corpse Bride".
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:06 am »

Seriously man, you say that all the time.

I assumed it meant starting a war to take out a despot without having any real justification beyond getting rid of a despot.
Shoes...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:17:39 am »

He read the Salvation War books and now feels like shitting himself in glee everytime his side rolls up with huge ass artillery versus some tribe people with pointy sticks?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 03:08:36 pm »

Corpse Bride was just bleh.  I don't know what exactly went wrong for that one, but something certainly did.

And you don't have to swear off all Tim Burton movies because of the gothy aspect.  Big Fish is a good example (and, to be honest, the only one that comes to mind right now) of a Burton film that's characteristically twisted, but not gothic in the slightest.

Also, I watched and enjoyed Stardust without ever reading the original book.  But that might just have been because of Robert DeNiro prancing around in a tutu.  I think that could carry just about any movie.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 11:53:20 pm »

The Corpse Bride's EXACT fault I think can be best described as "The movie never comes to life".

Adding to this you honestly feel like ALL the characters are really along for the ride and just being dragged everywhere. No one actually does anything except give into someone elses whims.

The Story of Corpse Bridge:
Man: "I am getting married"
Woman: "I am getting married"
Corpse Bridge: "No your getting married to me!"
Man: "No I am getting married to HER"
Corpse Bridge: "No your going to marry me"
Evil: "No, I am going to marry the Woman"
Man: "Fine, Ill marry the corpse bride"
Corpse Bridge: "On second thought you should marry the woman"
Evil: "No she is marrying me!"
Man: "No she is marrying me"
Corpse Bridge: "It looks like I am all alone forever, what a happy ending"
Me: "Alright Did ANYONE do anything in this movie?"

Bigfish DID have one gothy part... but it was redeemed eventually. Though yeah it was an excellent movie.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:59:15 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:26:25 am »

The last claymation-type movie I saw was James and the Giant Peach. I really should catch up to the times.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:19 am »

The Corpse Bride's EXACT fault I think can be best described as "The movie never comes to life".
Hurray for unintentional puns!
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:46 am »

It is fully intentional I assure you :D

Especially since that is part of what the movie wanted to potray. The land of the dead was full of life while the land of the living was grey and lifeless. Unfortunately other then one somewhat creepy scene it was just all rather stiff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4