Finally... > General Discussion

Coraline

(1/10) > >>

Kagus:
So I saw this thing on a plane trip, and having seen a couple of the advertisements (and just the art style when it started playing), I thought it looked kinda like something that would crawl its way out of Tim Burton's head.  For clarification, that's a good thing (in my opinion).

I watched it with a relatively open mind, but I must admit to wanting something specific.  Even so, that didn't quite help out this movie.

I was rather disappointed, quite frankly.  It had all the potential to be the gorgeously twisted and sadistic fairytale I was hoping it would be, but it wasn't.  It even had the potential to be a fulfilling children's movie, but it wasn't that either.

To me, Coraline seemed like a movie that didn't quite know what it wanted to be.  The movie would switch between an original kid's movie, to a psychotic fantasy movie, to a mediocre video game.  The end result was something too scary for the kiddies and too kiddy for the scaries, while tossing in a smattering of video game-ness that wasn't suited for anybody.

I must say I felt sad for the film.  It had all the potential to be whatever it wanted to be, but it couldn't make a decision and stick with it.  I don't often leave a movie feeling sorry for the damned thing, but I have a sneaky hunch it's not a positive reaction.

Has anyone else seen this?  And if so, what are your views?

Sensei:
Didn't see the movie, but I know the feeling.

Strife26:
I dunno, I saw Coraline and I quite enjoyed it. Although it may be becuase of my normal salvation war syndrome.

Mr Tk:
The movie is based off a book of the same name by Neil Gaiman. His stuff is always better when you read the original material. (*cough* I'm looking at you Stardust.)

Cthulhu:
Eh, my sister is a Hot Topic kiddie, so I have a deep-seated hatred of Tim Burton.  I haven't seen any of his movies since The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version