Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Coraline  (Read 3077 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Coraline
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 12:38:52 am »

Did you mean to always type 'The Corpse Bridge'?

Because this isn't dwarf fortress discussion. But, we should totally be able to use corpses as building materials.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 12:39:42 am »

Unfortunately other then one somewhat creepy scene it was just all rather stiff.

Was that one intentional?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 12:43:21 am »

All intentional.

Though to admit the most lively thing in the whole movie would be its theme musical score, it is just a shame that the acting was rather dead.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 12:45:22 am »

the acting was rather dead.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 01:23:08 am »

Well,perhaps you are right, but I also attribute it to the vague necrophilia it radiated.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 01:25:38 am »

Well,perhaps you are right, but I also attribute it to the vague necrophilia it radiated.

It is rather hard to find the Corpse Bridge attractive when she seems to be falling appart. Even if the Gangrene and Post Mortum degeneration gave her a bit of color.

So I guess the Corpse Bridge was just a tough character to route for. Yes she was tragic, yes she was sorta beautiful. On the otherhand she was sorta the villain and pretty hideous in her own way.

Looking at some other Tim Burton films, one thing he seems to be good at is getting excellent and mood fitting musical scores.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:46:13 am by Neonivek »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 02:55:59 am »

That's probably because he keeps hiring Danny Elfman to do them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:21 pm »

That's probably because he keeps hiring Danny Elfman to do them.

That Danny Elfman really knows his stuff!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 04:18:31 pm »

Danny Elfman's singing voice makes me temporarily gay for him.  I try not to listen to him.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 05:09:24 pm »

The movie would switch between an original kid's movie, to a psychotic fantasy movie, to a mediocre video game.  The end result was something too scary for the kiddies and too kiddy for the scaries, while tossing in a smattering of video game-ness that wasn't suited for anybody.

I'm not so sure I agree about the scariness for kids. I heard a talk by Neil Gaiman once where he mentioned his book Coraline and how it was the adults who were coming up and telling him that the book had scared them, but the children approached the story differently, to them it was like an adventure. I imagine the same could apply to the movie.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »

That may very well be the case, but I was just trying to describe how it switched between "vibes".  One thing is having a children's movie that's a little bit scary, or a scary movie that's a little bit childish, but Coraline didn't seem to blend anything together.  It just switched back and forth.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 11:28:33 pm »

Salvation war syndrome is what I use to describe my deep seated belief that even super-natural threats can be met with good old human weaponry. I'm the sort who says "5 rounds rapid" or opens up on the monster with a shotgun. It also progresses to the point where any fiction where mundane means can trumph the supernatural is cool in my mind.

Call me crazy, but I saw some Christian allegory in the movie too. Especially the cat.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »

>Kill dragon
With what, your hands?

>Y
Congratulations, you have killed a dragon with your bare hands!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:27 am »

Nope. I sleep with a knife for that.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-