Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Worst embark ever?

(1/8) > >>

Glowcat:
Tell yours.

So far I'd say my worst starting location was where 3 rivers met each other... in the middle of an evil swamp.

The game went like this:

*Designate my entrance*
Digger cancels carve downward staircase: Interrupted by Skeletal Lungfish
Me: "Huh? Well I'll just draft a few... oh my god are those skeletal hippos?!!"
*Watches no less than 11 undead critters immediately swarm to my location and my people are scattering all over the place, bringing even MORE undead*

Despite mass recruitment, my expedition ended up mostly mauled, devoured, or drowned. I took out less than 20% of the local "wildlife" and the rest were slowly encroaching on my few remaining, mostly wounded, dwarves. Sadly, the miner took my only pickaxe deep into the swamp immediately when I started.

I started buying extra pick axes since then. Just in case.

Vester:
This is like the intro to a horror movie, where careless diggers unearth an Elder Evil. :D

The poorest start I've ever had involved an embark next to a river, combined with my making the mistake of giving three dwarves fisherdwarf skill (it was my first fort, I think. :( ) Game starts, they all go off to fish.

I promptly get a message about them getting struck down.

Three of my dwarves were murdered by a fragging sturgeon.

(Of course, real life sturgeons are HUGE, but still.)

This isn't anywhere near as bad as yours, but it was my personal worst  ;D

Ieb:
Kobold's.

Embarked in a site where a major river cut the map in half.

Digging is done, room's and all, then some guy gets a leg torn off by a sturgeon. River-bed was forbidden area from that point on.

Then the winter came, and in one second, the entire river froze, killed all the fish and immediately unfroze.

It's like the gods smiled upon the kobolds. So it seemed.

Then the elf siege arrived.
There were no survivors.

Sensei:
I embarked IN a magma pipe was. As in, 'strike the earth' and then everyone's on a 20 Z-level trip to Magma Flow.

DJ:
I embarked about five tiles from a river. There were a dozen pages of skeletal carp and skeletal hippos on the creature list. I tried that map a dozen times, and while I did manage to dig in a couple of times, I never could get the supplies underground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version