Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fell moods give legendary medical skill  (Read 4129 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Fell moods give legendary medical skill
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

One thing that could be done is having butchery train up the surgery skill at a slow rate, but only up to a certain level, such as novice.  That way they would have an edge over other dwarves, but wouldn't get insane levels of medical knowledge.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

DarbyMcB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »

As such, it might be usefull to have similair. Either a system of complementary skills, where one skill gives a small (capped) bonus to another or a set of general knowledge attributes.
((For example, a butcher will have a very limited knowledge of anatomy, and some skill with blades. A swordsdwarf will have the same. A surgeon would have a high anatomy stat, giving him bonusses if he were to fight. Even more so, a mason would make a slightly better miner, as would an architect, because they know about rocks/ structural integrity  respectively.))
I think this should be taken seriously, I find it frustrating when I need more masons and I have 3 migrants with legendary stone detailing and multiple legendary miners, but none of them know how to turn a rock into a stool, even on a novice basis.

I think these skills should be looked at for the types of tools/latent skills used in them, and then they should be leveled up based on how well those latent skills are leveled, and whether or not they use a similar tool.

something like

Your woodcrafter would slowly level up their crafting skill as well as woodcrafting. Crafting would give indirect bonuses to them if they ended up being a bonecrafter, or stonecrafter, so the skills themselves wouldn't be leveled up, but they would have a good enough knowldge to know how to not fuck it up, the specifics on bonecrafting they learn as they do it. This could also apply to tools being used, and materials worked with. so although a mason, and a stone crafter don't necessarily have crafting, or the tools in common, the stonecrafter would have developed a solid knowledge of stone, and therefore know what delicate practices need to be used to not screw up a chair, and vice versa.  Tool knowledge may also be good, as crafters and detailers may go hand in hand, because of their attention to detail, and their use of small fine ended tools.

I find I'm getting to the point that anything else I said would be not very thought out, so I'll leave it at that.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »

That's partly because you most languages are related in a family, but more because you're training the attributes (memory amongst others) that you need to learn a language.

As such, it might be usefull to have similair. Either a system of complementary skills, where one skill gives a small (capped) bonus to another or a set of general knowledge attributes.
((For example, a butcher will have a very limited knowledge of anatomy, and some skill with blades. A swordsdwarf will have the same. A surgeon would have a high anatomy stat, giving him bonusses if he were to fight. Even more so, a mason would make a slightly better miner, as would an architect, because they know about rocks/ structural integrity  respectively.))

The civwide anotamy knowledge is nice, but a bit strange.
Yeah, that makes sense.  I would say it makes sense to have a cap.  The first, basic things a doctor would learn would help the most in combat training (such as what parts of the body are vulnerable to sharp weapons), but he isn't going to use his advanced knowledge much (he won't be doing heart surgery in battle).  So, you know, as he gets closer to the "roof" of the cap, the complimentary skill gain slows.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 06:32:07 pm »

I think some sort of complementary skills system makes the most sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »

On a slightly different though related note, I would suggest that if a surgeon went into a strange mood (any mood) he would grab supplies, the nearest injured dwarf and give him a physical augmentation such as an adamantine sword for an arm or more likely, a chert foot.

I think this has been hinted at on another thread a long time ago, but I wanted to suggest it here. Sorry if it's not worth the bump
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 09:15:04 pm »

A medical mood sounds amazing. I would like to see a literal axedwarf.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 10:04:38 am »

Yeah, complimentary skills make the most sense here.
So masonry, mining, stonecrafting, engraving, all also take into account and improve the "stoneworking" skill.  Mining wouldn't make you any better at engraving, but you'd at least have the secondary knowledge already trained.

I think "anatomy" would be a good secondary skill for combat, surgery, butchery, etc...

So then it'd make sense to have dwarves with multiple jobs in the same categories.  Especially given that jobs are already seperated into categories anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3]