Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheating fair  (Read 994 times)

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Cheating fair
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:14:45 pm »

I have another idea for a fortress I'm going to try out- a family fortress.  I'll set the immigration max to 1, and keep the child limits high.

But I'd like to start with more than 7 dwarves for this.  I remember that there was a utility for changing peasants on embark- what was it?

Most importantly, how much do you think a peasant is worth?  I was thinking of charging myself 50 points for each peasant.  That's a little more than the cost to get a skill from dabbling to proficient (35).

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating fair
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:34:38 pm »

you use gibbed's tweak utility.

good stuff. you can change number of dwarves, and how many points you start with.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:03:35 pm »

If you want embark points, got to a pet you bring often,(let's say dogs) set their petvalue to -something([PETVALUE:-100]).
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 11:12:12 pm »

Or make some kickass expensive metal for either axe or anvil to be made of (depending on whether you bring either) and then sell it for mucho pointo.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:12:52 pm »

You could just reclaim too--although I like your thinking in general.  There really isn't any reason embark parties shouldn't vary in size; maybe you should bring it up in suggestions.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »

Well with Rysith's Orc mod, I got to say, it may get pretty complicated (OK 500 marksdwarves, 2000 wrestlers, 100 lashers........). But not with my marksdwarves ;D.

A quote from yours truly. It is not a lie, I just don't know how to get a picture of it like many of you do.

I'll try it out eventually, I gots another Elder Cyclops siege (OMG! THEY WON'T STOP!).
My one marksdwarf (yes just one marskdwarf on steroids, already 23 cyclops kills, no lie, legendary in many millitary skills) has been protecting my BRAND NEW 7 dwarf fortress for almost a year now. If he dies, I'll......well he just won't die.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:13:10 am »

Well with Rysith's Orc mod, I got to say, it may get pretty complicated (OK 500 marksdwarves, 2000 wrestlers, 100 lashers........). But not with my marksdwarves ;D.

A quote from yours truly. It is not a lie, I just don't know how to get a picture of it like many of you do.

I'll try it out eventually, I gots another Elder Cyclops siege (OMG! THEY WON'T STOP!).
My one marksdwarf (yes just one marskdwarf on steroids, already 23 cyclops kills, no lie, legendary in many millitary skills) has been protecting my BRAND NEW 7 dwarf fortress for almost a year now. If he dies, I'll......well he just won't die.

I pull off fighting against orcs with just one champion.

Granted, he usually has a couple artifacts, is in high quality steel plate, and is legendary in multiple stats.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:45:21 am »

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Champions are like supermendwarfs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Family Fortress
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 03:57:29 am »

To clarify my intention:

I'm going to try to pair dwarves up, where appropriate, so that they grow in relationships with one another and get married.  (That may involve locking them in a party room.  We'll see.)  I find that normally my dwarves have a deity and about thirty passing acquaintances.  (I keep them busy.)

When dwarves get married, I'm going to use Dwarf Companion to change their last names to be the same (I'll probably just choose between the man's and the woman's based on which one sounds better- Blazecastles over Bootconvent).  Any children will also have the parents' last name.  If a child dwarf earns themselves an extended name, I will consider taking the random extra elements added to that child's name and making it into a new last name (and a more appropriate honorific).  So, Atir Blazecastles the East Recreation of Manors might become Atir Eastmanors the Quick Blade.  This'll keep all the names from converging.

I'll probably use Dwarf Manager to enable some task for fortress children- basically giving them a chance at a specialty, like the adults.  That way, the amount of time that they're a pure burden on society is only one year, but they still can't reproduce for 12.  That sounds like a good compromise.

However, with 7 dwarves and no immigration, I'll just have too few genetic stocks (not that it'd actually be a problem in DF, but it is in my mind).  So that's why I was thinking that starting with 12-20 dwarves would be good.

But I think that cheating takes the fun out of the game, so I want something fairly balanced.  Which is why I ask:

How much is an extra peasant -worth-?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:59:59 am by Bjiip »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Family Fortress
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »

To clarify my intention:

I'm going to try to pair dwarves up, where appropriate, so that they grow in relationships with one another and get married.  (That may involve locking them in a party room.  We'll see.)  I find that normally my dwarves have a deity and about thirty passing acquaintances.  (I keep them busy.)

When dwarves get married, I'm going to use Dwarf Companion to change their last names to be the same (I'll probably just choose between the man's and the woman's based on which one sounds better- Blazecastles over Bootconvent).  Any children will also have the parents' last name.  If a child dwarf earns themselves an extended name, I will consider taking the random extra elements added to that child's name and making it into a new last name (and a more appropriate honorific).  So, Atir Blazecastles the East Recreation of Manors might become Atir Eastmanors the Quick Blade.  This'll keep all the names from converging.

I'll probably use Dwarf Manager to enable some task for fortress children- basically giving them a chance at a specialty, like the adults.  That way, the amount of time that they're a pure burden on society is only one year, but they still can't reproduce for 12.  That sounds like a good compromise.

However, with 7 dwarves and no immigration, I'll just have too few genetic stocks (not that it'd actually be a problem in DF, but it is in my mind).  So that's why I was thinking that starting with 12-20 dwarves would be good.

But I think that cheating takes the fun out of the game, so I want something fairly balanced.  Which is why I ask:

How much is an extra peasant -worth-?

This is a bit tricky, because the value of extra haulers or workers diminish as the game goes on. I'd say about 100 or 75 would be a decently high number to use.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 11:46:50 pm »

If you're going to do something strange like this, then you may also want to incorporate annother idea...
Take an even number of dwarves of male and female, and entoumb them in several different 'mini-fortresses' where they will produce to increase their efficiency. They will be totally seperated from eachother, and maybe the outside world...

However, to stray from the norm and answer your question, they should be in the high range of dumb animals, and the low range of fighting animals, since they will be coming along as untrained morons with naught but feeble beards to clothe them...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 06:18:17 pm »

Feeble beards? No dwarf has ever had a feeble beard! The beard of a dwarf is better clothing than any man could make :D

I would set points cost for peasants at 60. You could take about 10 extra and everything would be fine.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.