Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New fort, any ideas?  (Read 1331 times)

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New fort, any ideas?
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:20:48 pm »

I'm at a loss for what to do with my next fort. I've never really gotten too far in a fort, because most of them were just dull cookie-cutter forts and I always got annoyed with the ugliness (I want good aesthetics) so I've decided to basically carve out an area several z-levels high and use blocks to build my buildings. Basically I want buildings and stuff rather than giant blocks for rooms. I feel like it looks more natural. I was thinking about maybe climbing to the top of a moutnain and hollowing it out by channelling or something.

I was shooting several ideas around and thought it'd be cool to make gold/whatever mountains or something to cover up said city. Though I don't really know how I could accomplish that but yeah. And I can't think of anything for an entrance really either.

If anybody has any ideas, that'd be great :D it can be completely random haha
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:22:21 pm by Legislature »

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New fort, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:04 pm »

EDIT: ah, sorry, didn't mean to post this one. Accidentally quoted instead of modifying the above post.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:35:30 pm »

Go on.  You know you want to build it.
Sanity is for the weak.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:45:07 pm »

something I did back in 40d, prbably easier now but still awesome.

build a massive clear/crystal glass pillarfort and encase it with magma, being sure to have veins of the stuff interwoven into your infrastructure all throughout.  It is based on the idea of an artificial magmapip from 40d, and it looks awesome, especially if done right.

If you try it, a few tips; you probably want to turn temperature off unless you want the EXTREME DWARVENLY CHALLENGE of keeping stuff from bursting in flame, crystal glass is awesome but in mass production still a challenge even in the new version (you can go into raws of iorganic stone gem and replace all [TILE:10] with [TILE:10][CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE] to make any gem usable for crystal glass production)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:00:22 am by Dendou »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:10:00 am »

How about generating a world with as small a cavern system as possible and many z-levels of sky, then going somewhere flat and building a giant wooden tree on which you build your fort? Bonus points for pumping water up through the center and having your access staircases in the inner edges, and a ton of waterfalls at the "leaves" (which you could make of green glass).

Somehow I think a giant fractal tree made out of actual wood and posessing a semi-realistic vascular system would suit nicely, especially if you don't particularly like elves.

Edit: If you don't want to wait around for that much wood to grow you could make it out of a brown stone like schist.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:16:06 am by Trekkin »

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:42:52 pm »

Heh, the tree thing is probably way too complex for a noob such as myself haha. As for the pillarfort, hm, is this gonna be under or above ground? I think I could incorporate something like that into my original vision.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:24:50 pm »

Carp based defense system.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 05:11:29 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:17:22 pm by Bronimin »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:02 am »

My recent fort is constructed in a similar way, I dug out three z levels and constructed everything out of obsidian blocks.

I should warn you though hauling all those stones, constructing them into blocks, hauling them to the construction and ultimately constructing them is labor intensive. I had about 60 masons.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:59:19 am »

Carp based defense system.

Their fries attack traders and diplomats.
And they don't instachunk ennemies anymore.

Still, go go go!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:13:01 am »

Dig down to the caves, and make your home there! Fend off the beasts while hauling tower-caps!
Pet the friendly cave crocodiles next to the wood burner's!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 07:43:26 am »

If only the butcher shop could produce blocks of meat suitable for use in construction.