Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Call of the Elder Gods---Open For Ideas

(1/3) > >>

Servant Corps:
There is going to be a great CoC Mod that will be coming out, but it will be excluding some 'non-Lovecraftian' stuff, such as the Elder Gods, that were created by August William Derleth, the guy responsible for the Cthulhu Mythos. Even if the Elder Gods are hippie gods not deserving to exist in the Lovecraftian universe, I still think it would be nice to add them anyway, so I decide to make a sperate mod where these hippie Elder Gods would exist. If only as a thought experiment of course. I'm not going to add in the "Other Gods" and the "Great Old Ones" in this mod, you can download the CoC mod for that.

However, there will be one ground rule. August William Derleth has said about the Elder Gods...

--- Quote ---As Lovecraft conceived the deities or forces of his mythos, there were, initially, the Elder Gods... [T]hese Elder Gods were benign deities, representing the forces of good, and existed peacefully at or near Betelgeuze in the constellation Orion, very rarely stirring forth to intervene in the unceasing struggle between the powers of evil and the races of Earth. These powers of evil were variously known as the Great Old Ones or the Ancient Ones...
—August Derleth, "The Cthulhu Mythos"[17]
--- End quote ---

The Elder Gods are not good. They will never be good, understand? Even I know that Lovecraft's universe is blind to such human concepts as morality, and it is not up to us humans to declare some omipotent diety as "good" and another even-more omipotent diety as "evil" just because the first diety doesn't care about us and the second diety dislikes us dearly.

Grey Myers made a retcon that try to keep the 'good-evil' duality, without actually calling using the words 'good' and evil', but for now, I'm ruling that the Elder Gods have their own agendas, and aren't opposed to the Great Old Ones at all.

Spoiler: "Grey Myers's Retcon" (click to show/hide)Gary Myers has actually wrote a retcon of August Derleth, where the Elder Gods arrived and saw the Great Old Ones sleeping. Worrying that the Great Old Ones will awaken, the Elder Gods wove spells to try and keep the Great Old Ones from waking. These spells, and the gods that wove them, are weakening. This retcon is good, but not exactly what I'm aiming for.
Planned Elder Gods:
*Bast (Goddes of Cats): If you like cats, cool. If you hate cats, not so cool. Pretty boring god. Really, hordes of cats raiding your settlements? Bo-ring!
*Nodens (Lord of the Great Abyss) The Hunter. He hunts other dieties for sport, not out of any compassion for human beings. He does sometimes help human beings out though, for unknown reasons, possibly if the humans help in the great hunt. A wandering mega-beast and a deus-ex machina to behold.
*Hypnos (Lord of Sleep) is an enigmatic being of unknown form. He apperantely terrified two people whenever they go to sleep...after one of them crossed this 'barrier' and saw things man was not meant to see. Good times, good times.
*Vorvadoss:

--- Quote from: Wikipedia ---Vorvadoss (The Flaming One, Lord of the Universal Spaces, The Troubler of the Sands, Who Waiteth in the Outer Dark) appears as a cloaked, hooded being, enveloped in green flames, with fiery eyes. He may otherwise appear as a misty, silvery being not unlike Tawil-at-U'mr with an inhuman face
--- End quote ---

Elder Gods That Are...Meh.:
*Kthanid:

--- Quote from: Wikipedia ---Kthanid is said to be the "brother" of Cthulhu. He looks like his sibling but has golden eyes. He resides in a crystal cave on Elysia. It is said that he is as good as his brother is evil.
--- End quote ---

But since Cthulhu is not "evil", Kthanid is not "good". So, yeah...not really that interesting. Invented by Brian Lumley.

--- Quote from: Wikipedia ---Yad-Thaddag is possibly the Elder God equivalent of the Outer God Yog-Sothoth. This being has the same appearance as Yog-Sothoth, except its spheres are of a different colour and its nature is purely benevolent. It appears in Lumley's 1989 novel Elysia.
--- End quote ---

This one is also invented by Brian Lumley. We already got one Yog-Sothoth.

*Ulthar:

--- Quote ---Ulthar (or Uldar) is a deity mentioned in the (fictional) Sussex Manuscript. He is the son of Sothoth and was sent to Earth to keep watch over the Great Old Ones.[1]
--- End quote ---
Not sure how to incorporate a person who 'keep watch'.

The Computer here is getting unstable, so I'll quit for now. Suggest new ideas for the Call of the Elder Gods!

Servant Corps:
Also, since I have few Elder Gods, I am willing to accept suggestions for new Elder Gods.

Spoiler: Cats (click to show/hide)<Servant> Is it boring to have your fortress invaded by cats?
<Dwiibulon> and a cage full of demons
<Servant> Real boring?
<GL12> Yes. Unless you're not adverse to modding
<Dwiibulon> Servant: if by boring you mean your FPS drops as fast as your head to your desk while you scream "WHY GOD WHY"
<Servant> Well, what I mean
<GL12> it kills your FPS
<Servant> Is cats laying seige to your fortress
<Servant> and trying to attack your fortress
<Servant> Like goblins
<GL12> oh.
<Dwiibulon> this needs to be implemented
<JonMW> Setting cats' body temperature really high has been done before. I want to try setting it to 0.
<Dwiibulon> cats should now be able to weild weapons
<GL12> ... that actually sounds mildly epic
<Dwiibulon> they shall have spears on their backs
<GL12> jon, DO IT
<Dwiibulon> and use their mouths to mine!
<Dwiibulon> and also they should be ice-cats
<Servant> Well, it's actually for a mod on the Elder Gods of Lovecraft
<GL12> I considered trying to run a wolf den before.
<Servant> There was this one Elder God, the patron god of Cats
<Servant> So I'm having cats follow this god and act like sapient creatures
<Servant> including raiding people who offend Catdom.
<GL12> awesome.
<Dwiibulon> haha
<GL12> how do you offend catdom? kitten tallow biscuits?

<Servant> Well, I don't know what Catdom would be
<Servant> Let me think.
<Servant> In a Lovecraft story, some guy killed a cat
<Servant> so a huge army of cats arrived and killed that guy.

<Servant> Now, I don't know how I can program in cats invading your fortress if you kill a cat
<Servant> But I say that if you harm any wildlife

<Dwiibulon> I'm not entirely sure if having cats attack anything that harms wildlife is a good idea
<Dwiibulon> humans, dwarves, and goblins all do it at some point

<Dwiibulon> you don't want to be in a world filled with elves AND savage cats
<Dwiibulon> do you?
<Servant> Wildlife doesn't attack elves
<Servant> and elves don't attack wildlife.
<Dwiibulon> yeah
* Hayate_Yagami (~hayate@loli.knife.nut) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
* Hayate_Yagami (~hayate@loli.knife.nut) has joined #bay12games
<Dwiibulon> so it's you, a fuckton of elves, and a fuckton of cats
<Dwiibulon> you boned bro
<Servant> Dwii: I have to stay true to the source material.
<@Momaw> A glass war-hatchet would actually be pretty damn nasty
<GL12> what if you created another race
<GL12> which specifically hungered for elves and cats

Rowanas:
Ah, I like what you've done here. Cool. If when the CoC mod gets done I wouldn't mind helping with the modding if you'll let me. I'm glad you decided to take what we're doing with the CoC and basically make an expansion for it to suit your own tastes :D

Glowcat:

--- Quote ---<Servant> Well, I don't know what Catdom would be
<Servant> Let me think.
<Servant> In a Lovecraft story, some guy killed a cat
<Servant> so a huge army of cats arrived and killed that guy.
--- End quote ---

The Cats of Ulthar had an old couple who trapped and killed cats that wandered too near their home. Their fate was to be devoured by a horde of cats.

As for Catdoms, in the Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath there were both Earth cats, who would sometimes ally with humans who did them favors, and their enemies: the cats of Saturn. Those cats are leagued by treaty to evil toad-things.

Which is really silly and exemplifies the weirdness of the setting.

Rowanas:
You just gave me another idea for a creature I need to put in the CoC mod. Moon beasts. Bast watches over all cats, Saturn cats and Earth cats are all good with her :D

EDIT: I mean, she gets on with them, not that they instantly turn friendly to people :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version