Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Laziest. Millitary. Ever.

(1/3) > >>

Thakh:
Okay.
This is the n-th time that I've lost a fortress due to completely undisciplined soldiers.
I had a big force, more than enough to stop the invasion.  However, the squads figured that it's best to arrive at the battlefield one dwarf by one, presumably since the others weren't finished drinking/eating/sleeping yet.
Needless to say, each of them got butchered the moment he got there (as did a lot of civilians that figured it's the best time to loot the dead soldiers, but that's a different issue).
Could soldiers please, PLEASE, pretty please with cherry on top, pay more attention to the fact that they're required somewhere instead of that cozy looking chestnut bed and mug of ale?
Maybe give the squads a setting of what's going on?  To switch between, for example, Standing Guard/Patrol Duty/Emergency/etc, or something similar?Thanks up front.Thakh
-counting the dead

Puzzlemaker:
I find that patrols help, because those don't require the squad leader to be there, and having a backpack + waterskin with them set to have rations and to carry water also helps a lot.

umiman:
Also, instead of placing your soldier's assigned point close to the enemy, try to place it some distance away, but in the line of attack. That way, they will assemble together in a somewhat respectable force first.

Draco18s:
quote:Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Also, instead of placing your soldier's assigned point close to the enemy, try to place it some distance away, but in the line of attack. That way, they will assemble together in a somewhat respectable force first.</STRONG>Doesn't work when you're playing a 2x2 map.  Everything's close to the enemy AND in the line of attack.

Digger:
How ABOUT an ability to edit their scatter range? Say if the sqad can't take more than 5x5 area, the commander won't move until every sqad member gathers in 5x5 around him, however they are still able to attack someone close to them.[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Digger ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version